User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Crew Max 5th Wheel Towing

I just really want to know if it is possible...and if so, is it wise to pull a 5th wheel TT with a crew max 5 1/2 ft bed. Much appreciate your response.
Thanks - Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 PM

that would be one of the worst ideas, i dont suggest you do it, dont think its even possible.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimknyzer View Post
I just really want to know if it is possible...and if so, is it wise to pull a 5th wheel TT with a crew max 5 1/2 ft bed. Much appreciate your response.
Thanks - Slim
There is someone on here that does this , hopefully they will respond .
#4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 11,937 Times in 4,860 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Yes you can do it and yes it is safe if you do it right.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 PM

It best be one really small 5th wheel.

Look at the max payload sticker on the door and you'll see really quickly why towing a 5er is a very poor idea. Hell, it'll barely handle the tonque wt of a travel trailer.

Just because some else does something, doesn't mean it's good....only that some one is doing it. Run the numbers, they don't lie.

Dick

2008 Crew Max Limited TRD (New Tow Vehicle)
2009 Cougar 268 RLS ~8400 lbs on the Road
2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel (TV in Training)
2005 Jeep GC Limited (Retired TV)
2005 Jayco 25Z Travel Trailer (Retired)

Last edited by bluwtr49; 08-24-2008 at 10:12 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwtr49 View Post

Look at the max payload sticker on the door and you'll see really quickly why towing a 5er is a very poor idea. Hell, it'll barely handle the tonque wt of a travel trailer.

Just because some else does something, doesn't mean it's good....only that some one is doing it. Run the numbers, they don't lie.
Towing Report: '07 Tundra + 35' 9000 lb trailer
#7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimknyzer View Post
Thanks - Slim
Tundra/Fifthwheel Trailer Pics

Scroll down on that page and you'll see the pic and set-up he runs
#8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 AM

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you need to be cutious. My Crewmax only has a payload of 1340 lbs or so and that's pretty easy to exceed. 4X2's, DC, and etc have higher payloads.

The chap with the 5th wheel paid close attention to his pin wt and the additional cargo he was carrying, in other words he did his homework to ensure that everything was set up properly. I don't doubt that the Tundra will tow 10,000 lbs but whether or not it tow it well depends on what you expect, the amount of towing you'll be doing, and the expected terrain.

Just be safe.

Dick

#9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:44 PM

There is a special hitch made to tow a 5ver with the shorter bed. I forget the manufacturer, but it's easily found on the internet. Just be aware of all the limitations on the tongue weight of the 5ver when towed by a Tundra. It has lots of power and can tow with just about any 3/4 ton truck, with the exception of the Turbo Diesels, but it can't carry the weight on the rear axle. You'll probably need air bags or some kind of spring helper with any fifth wheel trailer you get. I personnally pull a 9000+ lb 5ver with a DC. No problems at all. But, my 5ver has an exceptionally light tongue weight for it's size.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM

I've installed slider hitches in doubel cab F-150s before and they have just as short of a bed, and they do make fairly light 5th wheels.

If you get the right hitch you won't have any problems.
Get the super slider, it'll take up most of the be, but it will automatically move the hitch point further from the cab when you turn and then bring it back when you straighten out.

and as with all hitches, it'll come out faily easily, its just so heavy it'll take 2 or 3 people

Jason
Katy, TX
'06 KTM 250 sx-f
'08 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
'o8 Tundra DC 5.7
"...we Americans are freedom loving people, and nothing says freedom like getting away with it..."
-Long Long Time: Guy Forsyth
#11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that you need to be cutious. My Crewmax only has a payload of 1340 lbs or so and that's pretty easy to exceed. 4X2's, DC, and etc have higher payloads.

The chap with the 5th wheel paid close attention to his pin wt and the additional cargo he was carrying, in other words he did his homework to ensure that everything was set up properly. I don't doubt that the Tundra will tow 10,000 lbs but whether or not it tow it well depends on what you expect, the amount of towing you'll be doing, and the expected terrain.

Just be safe.
Hre are the specs for a limited CM ,,,

Standard Features Of this Vehicle
Mechanical
18 Alloy Wheels w/P275/65R18 Tires - 381HP/401 Lb-Ft 5.7L DOHC 32V V8 w/VVT-i - 4WDemand 4x4 System w/Electronically Controlled 2 Speed Transfer Case - 6-Spd Auto w/Seq Shift and Tow/Haul Mode - Automatic Limited Slip Diff (Auto LSD) - Coil Over Shock Double A-Arm Front Susp - Engine Immobilizer, Cruise Control - Front and Rear Sonar - GVWR = 7200 lbs. Payload = 1495 lbs. - Multi-Leaf Trapezoidal Rear Suspension - Tow Equip/Capacity: Tow Cap=10,100 lbs. Hitch Receiver, Supp A/T Cooler, 4.30 Rear Diff w/10.5" Ring Gear, 150A Alternator, A/T Temp Gauge, 7 Pin Conn, Trailer Brake Controller Prewire - TripleTech Frame: Fully-boxed Fr Section Reinforced C Under Cab, Open C Under Bed

Payload = 1495# , that's alittle more than you state . Just an FYI
#12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Go read the tow reports here and tell me they are not towing alot of weight and had good results . On top of that you say it will barely handle the tongue weight ?
Pleas don't give any advice about the Tundra since you are stating incorrect facts on it , and seem to be discouraging people of its strength in towing .
Go read some towing reports and then tell them what they say is wrong .

Last edited by ramoine; 08-25-2008 at 02:03 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 11,937 Times in 4,860 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
I've had 1800 pounds in the back of my CrewMax plus 3 people in the truck and the rear end was 3-4 inches off the bump stops. That's on a stock SR5 suspension. Add a couple of helper airbags and the truck can take more weight easily.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Let me make one thing perfectly clear, I am not stating incorrect facts. The payload on my CM is 1310 lbs as specified on the truck itself. You put a TT with a tonque wt of 1300 lbs or even worse a 5er and guess what.....you're overloaded, no BS, no hype, no optimism will make that go away. Those are numbers and they are real. The marketing hype is very optimistic and the ONLY true payload is on the pillar sticker.

Airbags, helper springs, and all the rest don't change the payload, they merely hid the problem.

I read all the towing reports before and after I bought the Tundra and yes, while many were favoralble, many ran way over the trucks rating which I will not do for a variety of safety and liablity reasons. I pulled 20,000 lbs with my 4 cylinder Jeep Liberty but it was at 15 mph for 1 1/2 miles.....does that make it a good tow vehicle for 10,000 lbs???? Give me a break.

Oh, and if I seem to be discouraging people from towing with the Tundra.......all I can say is YEP, I'll always caution against exceeding ratings. Would I load mine up with 2,000 lbs of building material and drive 5 miles to my house???? No problem. Would I do it for 5 months and 7,000 miles????? Not on your life.

Dick

Last edited by bluwtr49; 08-26-2008 at 11:07 AM.
#15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Plenty of people tow more than you and don't exceed the limits . They have towed with no problems .

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Towing & Hauling