Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

mounting Tekonsha P3

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  charlier 
#1 ·
hey guys - just received the Tekonsha P3 and looking at ideas on where to mount it on my 2014.

considering the lower dash just in front of my right knee, but i see some sort of vents there. anyone know what they are for? See attached pic.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Also check for airbags behind that kick panel.

Reactions: smccon
#7 ·
"Not needing to touch it" is not a true statement guys. The brake override lever needs to be easily accessible in the event of a possible emergency stopping/maneuvering situation.

Also, it looks like you have that controller mounted on its side. Make sure that's acceptable. I know it is not for the P3.

Reactions: DCX and smccon
#8 · (Edited)
Although the instructions say these controllers should be accessible I doubt very seriously someone is gonna be trying to adjust the friggin thing during an emergency maneuver. Besides the manual control will only slide to the maximum that the gain is set at.. So whats the purpose ? There is no way that someone is gonna be adjusting the gain during an emergency maneuver. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Yes my directions say it can be mounted in any position including on its side.

#14 ·
dandl, check your IOM. That mounting position is NOT acceptable. The built in gyro will not work mounted like you have it. I just read the IOM for your unit...

Also, it doesn't say it "should" be mounted within reach, it says it "Must" be mounted witin reach. You're opening yourself up for liability/litigation in the event you have an accident. Blood sucking lawyers are getting more creative all the time...don't give them anymore than they already have.

#9 · (Edited)
The main case for accessibility is if the trailer starts to sway badly( wind gust, truck etc.) actuating the trailer brakes independently of the truck will settle it down vs a truck brake application can make it worse and cause a rollover

Also had a situation camping where I spun out going up a gravel road, and had to manually actuate the trailer brakes as the trailer was dragging the tundra backwards with all 4's locked.

#16 · (Edited)
Mine is mounted above the parking brake pedal, level. It is easily reached leaning forward 4". I have considered making an aluminum mount that moves the controller out a few more inches to make this a non-issue.

If you are smart enough to get a proportional brake controller (or pendulum brake controller) , even emergency braking should not be an issue. Some controllers have a brake boost option which is nice for heavy/freeway speeds. I have had this one for years and in 3 different trucks. Works awesome.
Tekonsha - Primus? IQ

In Ditchdiggers situation, not sure why the brakes were not set before forward movement (I was not there, but I would assume he was using the service brakes as a traction device for uphill movement, so using the trailer brakes would not be a good idea), but if they were, hitting the service brakes would have applied all 8 wheel brakes and stopped the combined load. However, I have locked up all 8 brakes towing in the mountains and slid backwards. That really brought on the suck. Lucky I usually tow built Jeeps. I just offloaded the jeep and moved my trailer out of the ditch. Not a great feeling of going in reverse without control.

Maybe I have been lucky, never have got the "sway" really bad, but I always load my trailer properly and use caution in high wind conditions (like slow the hell down). I would never try the trailer brake manual operation in snow. You can jackknife a trailer quick that way.

#17 · (Edited)
In Ditchdiggers situation, not sure why the brakes were not set before forward movement (I was not there, but I would assume he was using the service brakes as a traction device for uphill movement, so using the trailer brakes would not be a good idea), but if they were, hitting the service brakes would have applied all 8 wheel brakes and stopped the combined load. However, I have locked up all 8 brakes towing in the mountains and slid backwards. That really brought on the suck. Lucky I usually tow built Jeeps. I just offloaded the jeep and moved my trailer out of the ditch. Not a great feeling of going in reverse without control.
think of a sled pull and the weight got all the way forward,I hit the brakes. Since I was not moving, the trailer controller is only on at a minimal setting, (like sitting at a red light) as there is no inertia to have it ramp up, the brake application was not on enough to hold it all from going backwards, and with the truck wheels locked, and sliding backwards, I can't get any inertia action to ramp up the controller. Luckily with manual override, i was able to stop, and back down the hill, adjust the wdh for more weight on the rear axle for better traction and pulled it no problem. Probably the only time I wish I had 4wd in the 5 years I've owned the truck.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#19 ·
Just installed my brake controller

I installed my Prodigy centered on and just below the small vent you referred to. The top of the controller is about 1" below the little vent. Used to small flat head screws and all seems solid and good to go...
Lots of knee clearance. I'm 6' and long legged too.

#21 ·
From the P3 manual:

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer
Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)
Once the control has been securely mounted, it is
necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer
during a braking event.

1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.

2. With engine running set power (with Power
Buttons) to indicate 6.0

3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved
surface at 25 mph and fully apply Manual Knob.
If trailer brakes lock up:
Turn power down using Power Buttons.
If braking was not sufficient:
Turn power up using Power Buttons.

4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point
just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as
to achieve maximum braking power.

5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed
stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking
is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch.
When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking
will cease.

#22 ·
The location you picked is where we have are Brake controllers mounted on 2 Tundra's. If you mount the controller approx. 2" from the right corner and hi enough you should have no problems. Adjustments are needed based on trailer weight changing and if you have multi trailers, also long term usage brake pad wear. I good way to check trailer brakes every time you hitch up is get combo rolling without foot on gas and engage brake manually a couple times, if to harsh lessen controller # increase# if not grabbing enough and retest. Don't be that guy running with lights / directionals out, check out trailer every time you hitch up. Good Luck...

#23 ·
Unless one tows on roads that have no other vehicles on them, it is not a question of IF one will need to reach for the brake controller but WHEN. Sadly, I too have had to reach for my Prodigy to hit the boost button and/or manually brake the trailer a number of times over the years. Those situations have always involved a bonehead maneuver by an idiot in another vehicle in front of me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.