Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Trailer Tires

4K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Taylo1 
#1 ·
(more tow related that custom wheel related)
What does the collective recommend for up-grade trailer tires? Thinking dual axle tt in the 7-8k # range - as part of a sales upgrade bargain? Goodyears? Radials?

#2 ·
Radial tires for sure. Maxxis and kumho are generally regarded as the best on the market at the moment. The chinese goodyears have had a bad track record, but have apparently recently had their qc updated, but I would say the jury is still out on those. The us made goodyear trailer tires were the good ones, but I dont think they are made in the us anymore, and any leftover stock now is going to be pretty aged :p.

Reactions: ColoradoTJ
#7 ·
When I purchased my car trailer it came with Mission Radial tires made in China. I retired those tires after 5 years of trouble free towing. I replaced the original tires with a set of Goodyears that were "Made in the USA" made just 1 month before I purchased them (Spring 2010). Sadly these American made Goodyears lasted just three years before I had to replace them. One tire had a blowout in the sidewall. My tire guy told me I ran over something which I suppose is possible but given the location on the tire I still wonder. If I did run over debris on the road, that was obviously not Goodyear's fault. After the blowout, a closer examination of the remaining tires revealed that some of them had cracks in the sidewall and were an accident waiting to happen. It should be noted that I keep the trailer tires covered when the trailer is not being used and I check the air pressure before and during every towing trip.

The Goodyears were replaced with Maxxis 8008 Radials. So far, these tires are performing well. Time will tell I suppose.

#5 ·
I was having a hard time finding a tire to replace the Chinese Bombs on my tt. Needed to support up to 7000 lbs but deal with up to 120 degree heat and 70 mph. I live in the desert so the tires will be encountering extreme conditions. This pretty well eliminated almost all st tires. I do not need an lt or offroading tire either.

On tirerack.com found the Goodyear G26 cargo tire. They are used on a lot of the commercial vans from Mercedes and others. They met all of my requirements and positive reviews. Look under cargo tires or rib tires. There are two sizes of 15 in tires. Michelin and Continental also make cargo tires.

Currently have 2500 miles on them with no problems.

Reactions: 2014SR5
#6 ·
Maxxis ST RADIAL M8008.

Depending on your trailer tire size, if possible, pay just a little bit extra and get the 10 ply rating instead of 8 ply. Airing up your trailer tires to 80psi with the 10 ply would provide a lot of comfort going down the road with minimal to none blow out probability.

Reactions: 2014SR5
#8 · (Edited)
I run Loadstar D rated bias ply tires on my boat trailer - 9k lb load. These are great tires.

The most important aspect to any trailer tire is to routinely check your pressures - fill them to the max psi. Low tire pressures are the leading cause of blow-outs. It is amazing the psi drop in a trailer tire in as little as 3 weeks.

#10 ·
I have thought about getting one of these systems. When I had my blowout I did not even know it had happened. I drove for about 7 miles before I did one of my periodic load checks and discovered the blown tire. One of the leading causes of multiple blown trailer tires is having a blow out and driving with one tire on the side of the blow out. The stress and heat the one tire endures can and sometimes does cause that tire to also blow out as well. I have known multiple car trailer owners that this happened to, some in the same trip. Really screwed them since they carried only one spare tire and blew two tires in one trip. Real PITA trying to find a trailer tire on a trip since most tire retailers do not stock trailer tires. This is one reason I carry two spare trailer tires mounted and ready to go.

#11 ·
The friend I was talking about has already saved 2 tires from blowouts (nails) and whatever other costs associated with high speed blowouts (camper damage, blowing out the other tire..etc.). Well worth the cost.

I was a little surprised that you are having trouble finding ST Tires. Out here, never been an issue. Something to think about though.

Only high speed blowouts I have had were from bias ply tires. (4)
My only other blowouts were from turning too tight on pavement at max trailer weight (9600 lbs) or hitting curbs when backing up with max trailer weight (2).

#12 ·
Maxxis ST 8008 is my recommendation as well. Just put another set on my trailer last week after a perfect 3 year run with the first set. My trailer is hooked up every day and I pull around 5-6k pounds. Of course I've had the occasional nail or screw in the tire, but that's not Maxxis's fault. Never had a blow out or wear issue. I used to go through Carlisle tires like underwear. Carlisle is total crap. Upgrading to Maxxis was the best move I've made for the trailer.

I paid $508 for 4 Maxxis 205/75 15 (8 ply). I may be wrong, but the 10 ply Maxxis is only available in larger sizes.

#14 ·
The TPMS is a great idea for anyone towing. I had a blow out years back and I had no clue until I was waved down by a passing driver. Had both tires blown on that side it would have been ugly quick and not worth the risk.

I run the TyreDog system I bought off Amazon. Pretty happy with it. The TST 507 system is also very good. Both read pressure and temps of your tires with alarms if anything goes bad. Only caution is to make sure you have or get metal valve stems. Even the super light models cause too much force on the rubber stem.

I also agree with above - cant go wrong with the Maxxis or Kuhmo trailer tires.

#15 ·
The topic of trailer comes up constantly when you get around a bunch of guys with triple axle toyhaulers out in Glamis. If you have the room the general consensus is to upgrade to 16" wheels and then run LT tires. Everyone I know who has done this loves it. As far as 15" trailer tires go most people I know usually run GoodYears or Maxxis. The key to any trailer tire success is constant monitoring, it's low air pressure that kills most of them prematurely.

#17 ·
If you really, really dig on this topic, you'll find there was a span of years that trailer tires were coming in from China under dozens of names with extremely poor quality.

Today, most if not all, including the made in china names, are building tires using very similar construction and they are actually pretty good. You'll find the "nylon cap" buzz word used all too often, but there's a lot behind it.

Made in China tires are used on nearly every trailer OEM, thus when a blowout occurs you hear more about the made in china tires than anything else. But even Maxis, one other only non-Made in China tire out there has plenty of blowout reports too. It happens.

Just 2 weeks ago I replaced 4 Trailmaster tires on my TT (known for many blow outs online) after approx. 15k trouble-free miles with Carlisle Radial Trail RH. These are a newer breed from Carlisle with no bad reports that I could find online.

#22 ·
Maxxis ST Radial M8008 for me. I don't trust the other brands unless it's just a spare.

Reactions: desmodromic
#29 ·
Goodyear G26 Cargo tires are still running well! Currently almost 8000 miles on them since last year.

#30 ·
Have been running Carlisle 10 ply radials @65lbs on my last 2 car haulers and have had no problems. Just look up your local discount tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.