Steering Wheel Vibration....Still - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Steering Wheel Vibration....Still

Hello again,

I posted several months ago about the bad steering wheel shake/vibration I have been having. Since then, I took it to the toyota dealership and they said it was the alignment. I also got my wheels road force balanced. Then, I bought a new set of tires thinking the tires may just be bad. Since the tires, I have had the wheels aligned 5 times by two different shops, had the tires rotated and balanced again, and have even had the shock replaced with Bilstein HD shocks since I was told shocks could contribute to the vibration...

I STILL have the vibration in the steering wheel 90% of the time, from about 63MPH+. Every now-and-then it will be smooth as glass, though, so I honestly am out of ideas.

Should I just take it back to Toyota and see what they think (last time they simply told me that larger (265 BFG All-Terrains) will cause this issue)? The 3-inch spacer lift and tires were installed at the Toyota house before I even bought my truck (I bought it new and it was a "special edition" with lift, tires, bumper replacements, etc.).

Please let me know if you have any ideas on what the issue could be. I am seriously considering trading it in on something else since I can no longer deal with the steering wheel shake on trips.'

Edited to add: 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4, 3 inch spacer lift (toytec), ranch hand bumper replacements, 265/70 BFG All-Terrains, Bilstein HD shock (stock height)

Thanks,

Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,186 Times in 5,018 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Meet up with another Tundra owner and swap wheels for a day. That will at least let you know if it is the wheels/tires or not.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
I am sure it isn't the tires since the vibration happened with the other set of original tires, too. I wish I knew another Tundra owner that I could swap wheels with to check that. I wouldn't think it is the wheels, though, since nothing changes no matter where I rotate the wheels to. You would think not all of them would be bad, but I don't know.

Do you think a wheel shop could check to see if there is something wrong with the wheels?

Edited: the wheels are the black Ultra Motorsports 18x9 Goliath I believe if that matters.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by WesCole; 06-05-2011 at 10:17 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 AM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,186 Times in 5,018 Posts
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Do you have the correct lug nuts? The OEM lug nuts don't work for most aftermarket wheels.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 AM
"BHLM Master"
Premium Member

Location: Clearwater, Florida/ Greeneville TN- FETC member #3, Sept./Nov./Dec.2011 TOTM/Big Rig Club#11
Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,943 Posts
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Check your rotors, they might be warped- Could be a factory defect. I went through alignment, tire changes, wheel changes- Are you running spacers behind your wheels? You might need re-surfacing of your rotors- Checks these things and you might find the problem. Good luck!
#6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
Do you have the correct lug nuts? The OEM lug nuts don't work for most aftermarket wheels.
It has the locking wheel nuts that came with the wheels.

Quote:
Check your rotors, they might be warped- Could be a factory defect. I went through alignment, tire changes, wheel changes- Are you running spacers behind your wheels? You might need re-surfacing of your rotors- Checks these things and you might find the problem. Good luck!
Wouldn't I feel a warped rotor when braking? It still brakes smoothly, so I didn't think that could be the problem. I don't have any spacers behind the wheels, either. I don't mind taking it in to get the rotors checked, though, if that could be the problem. I have just never heard of rotors being warped without really feeling it when braking.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanked 1,033 Times in 578 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow that sucks, I will guess that it is not the wheels or tires, I am going to assume your steering wheel is not jerking in a way that it goes right or left in your hands, that normally is in the tires. that leaves up and down or in or out vibrations. Years ago I drove a new 2008 Ford Exploder with under 2000 miles, I got this violent vibration in the steering wheel and took into Ford for warrenty service, they found nothing wrong, I drove it for a week with same issue, at the speed of 54 mph it shook. I took it into Ford 3 more times and was handed papers it was new and perfect. The service manager advised this Ford was running perfectly and gave me copies of the motor diagnostics.

I ended up asking the Dealership manager to take a ride with me since he too stated it ran perfectly. I intentionally took him to the longest hill I knew in the area and hit the 54mph and with the throttle dialed in this new perfect Ford. I got the wheel jerking 1 plus inch forward/back or up down not sure it was like a jack hammer, the manager instantly went full sprawl grabbing anything he could as it was loud and rough inside the Exploder. I took the manager back to his store and advised if this is normal Fords are really and POS. Okay enough> It ended up being a broken spark plug 1 or 6 and the engine literally was trying to fire forward and backwards each time that plug came up on the firing order. I almost gernaded that new motor if the hill was a little longer. It was pretty fun while it lasted. Something with the electronic iginition and the broken plug confused the computer creating the steering vibration, it was not a bad vibration if I pushed through it or was on fairly flat roads but it was as annoying a hell. Yes at any other speed it ran well and tested perfect on there scanners.

2011 DC 5.7 TRD SR5 4x4, black interior w/bucket power seats, Pyrite Mica, 3M paint protection, Running boards, backup camera and blue tooth, bug shield, Rugged Liner w/rail kit, window visors, power rear window, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit roll top w/utility racks, tailgate step, Yakima kayak racks and weather tech floor mats.

#8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM

(Thread Starter)
Well, I am taking my truck today to Toyota so they can check it out (I only have 11 miles left on my 36,000 warranty). Hopefully they will find what is wrong. This is the only problem I have had with my truck and I would like to keep it, but the vibration problem is very annoying. I will post what Toyota says when I hear from them.

Last edited by WesCole; 06-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I bought the 5 year extended warrenty on top of Toyotas 3 years as I tend to keep my trucks a while. I have 8 years left, it was like an added $1300 at time of purchase or $21 a month.

2011 DC 5.7 TRD SR5 4x4, black interior w/bucket power seats, Pyrite Mica, 3M paint protection, Running boards, backup camera and blue tooth, bug shield, Rugged Liner w/rail kit, window visors, power rear window, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit roll top w/utility racks, tailgate step, Yakima kayak racks and weather tech floor mats.

#10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekken View Post
I bought the 5 year extended warrenty on top of Toyotas 3 years as I tend to keep my trucks a while. I have 8 years left, it was like an added $1300 at time of purchase or $21 a month.
I have this, too, but I believe it is a $50 deductible. Considering I have spent almost $1000 of my own money trying to fix this issue (because Toyota said what was wrong was not covered by warranty...alignment, balancing, shocks, etc.), any money I can save will be great.

My extended warranty is for 5 years/100,000 miles...I am not sure if the time frame starts after my regular warranty ends or if it started from when I bought it, though.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Alignment, new tires and balancing and shocks have not resolve the issue. I would take the manager for a drive and show him/her what it is doing, ask for a rental car while they investigate the issue, maybe test drive a new one see if it is the same. You also have an 8 year warrenty. The 5 years is added on top of the 3 years.

#12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Alignment, new tires and balancing and shocks have not resolve the issue. I would take the manager for a drive and show him/her what it is doing, ask for a rental car while they investigate the issue, maybe test drive a new one see if it is the same. You also have an 8 year warrenty. The 5 years is added on top of the 3 years.
I will ask them if they want to take a ride with me, but I know they will be able to feel the vibration at ~65 MPH. Hopefully, they won't just tell me "That's just the way it rides because of the larger tires" since they are the ones who sold me a new truck with that size tire on there. I have a sneaking suspicion it is actually something in the front end causing this...like a bearing going out or something, but I am by no means qualified to back up that diagnosis.
#13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You also have an 8 year warrenty. The 5 years is added on top of the 3 years.
Never have I heard of a warranty that is added to the end of the factory 3/36.

You may want to recheck that.

BTW I've been in the car business for 12 years.

2007 Limited DC 4x2
Debadged
TRD Sway Bar
B Pilar Tape delete
Billet Grill
Remote Tailgate Release
Magnaflow Muffler
#14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM

I have had the same problem at around 60 MPH. i have had 3 sets of tires and two sets of wheels. Went to hub centric wheels and it helped but still get shake on some roads. Dealership always blames aftermarket wheels tires etc...2008 CM 4x4

Let us know what you find out!
#15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Toyota set up 96 month and 75k or 100k warrenty at time of purchase thats all I remeber, not to worried about it. I have a long time to get there. It was an option at time of purchase.

Last edited by Trekken; 06-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.