Put on an Airlift airbag suspension kit. Brutal ride. What to do? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Put on an Airlift airbag suspension kit. Brutal ride. What to do?

I have a 2009 6"lifted Crew cab base model.
We purchased a 32' trailer so I decided I needed a lift kit for the 10 degree angle it gave me. It took two days to install, with the spacer system.
I took it for a drive today and was shocked at the brutal ride I now have. I don't think I can live with this.
Do I need new shocks of some kind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,688 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage
How much pressure in the bags? You don't need much more than 7-8 psi.

KO

TWAC (formally know as TWAT) #69
Mods:
AIP delete
TPMS delete
Rear camera install
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I only have 5psi in mine when it is unloaded. Rides ok for a lifted truck with 35" tires.

2014 Tundra 4x4 Long-bed with 4.5" Rough Country lift, rear airbags and 35x12.5-20 wheels and tires.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I started this morning with 32# then dropped it to about 15# and it didn't help. I called Airlift who told me that I have too many one inch spacers between the bag and the frame. The company that sold the lift kit sold me a six inch kit with six blocks per side. There is nothing in the Airlift literature that says you would put fewer blocks in, or measure, or do anything but install the kit as presented.
At this point I have to go out tomorrow and take apart the whole kit and remove some number of blocks. Taking apart the kit involves lifting the truck with a jack, (several jacks) and many wooden blocks then removing the 17" tires, all the bolts, etc.
It took my cousin and I two days to figure out their instructions, and modify the hole in the frame to fit their bracket to get this done. I will be taking it apart alone. I am not a happy seventy year old boy!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,306 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
No load I left my bags around 5psi. Didn't effect the ride of the truck.

If you need that large of a spacer I'd suggest getting a custom spacer (single per side) made by @Coach builder for your application. Scary stacking a bunch of blocks under the truck.

2017 Tundra Crewmax Limited Weatherby Lake, MO
TRDPro Reservoir shocks Rear
TRD Stainless Dual Exhaust
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
The problem is the Airlift bags, they have an internal jounce inside the bags. Even at low psi, it makes for a bumpy ride. You should have read up on airbags here, the consensus is to go with the Firestone bags.

AZ Tundra Club Member #42
The Following User Says Thank You to BorderCop For This Useful Post:
desmodromic (05-12-2017)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderCop View Post
The problem is the Airlift bags, they have an internal jounce inside the bags. Even at low psi, it makes for a bumpy ride. You should have read up on airbags here, the consensus is to go with the Firestone bags.
Yup, this is the issue, too many spacers combined with internal jounce. I would cut your losses and order Firsstone bags and maybe a talk to coachbuider about custom spacers. That said, I am probably at 4" of lift with no spacers, Daystar cradles and everything works out fine. I cannot imagine you would need more than one or two spacers per side.

All that said, well done driving a lifted truck instead of a lil' rascal scooter.

King - Total Chaos - Deaver - Method - Toyo
Addicted Desert Designs - Expediton One
TRD Supercharger
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:07 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Do you have a weight distribuiton hitch to go along with the new 32' trailer. That alone should take care of the rear end sagging when it is set up properly.

I'm not judging...I'm just sayin

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage
Agree with 1tech. Would also add, with 6" lift, make sure whoever you go with offers shanks with more drop than the prepackaged shanks. May need it, may not.

I feel normal again!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate all of the responses. I should have done more research before I assumed all airbags were the same. I do have the weight distribution hitch and was told that it could be adjusted to compensate for the tilt but it would be harder to hook up. I really just wanted to have the air shocks because I had them on my old F250 and felt better about the suspension if I had them.
I spent the day taking apart the system and removing two blocks on both sides. Keven from Airlift called me that morning and confirmed what we had conjectured. Drove the truck yesterday and today and it feels fine with 12# in each bag.
Yes, the idea of all those one inch blocks seems like a bad plan and I'm not sure how they will hold up over time. I'll probably just try to avoid trying to make the truck fly.
It really pisses me off to have to do stuff twice. I don't have time for that at my age. I need to go cut up a giant tree that fell on my fence, and other stuff.
Thanks for all of your help.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Reading what you said you bought or company sold you a kit for the 6 inch lift. But your truck has a 6 inch lift in the front and probably a 4 inch block out back or a 4 inch lift in the rear.

Plus maybe mine are different then yours. My Airlift bags go on top of springs and frame with no need for spacers. The style I bought don't care if the truck is stock or has a 12" block under the spring. If I added shackles then I would have to do some sort of adjustment or possibly still leave alone depending on how big of a shackle I used

Last edited by dudleyh; 05-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
+! on the jounce bumpers in Airlift bags. I had them on a 2011 and it bucked quite a bit. I now have a 2017 and am thinking about going either Hellwig bags or Firestone, or maybe Hellwig helper spring. Bags are somewhat of a headache to keep check on unless you spend mucho denero to get wireless compressor system. I used a little 12volt compressor I stashed behind my seat in the 2011 with the valves mounted behind the fuel filler lid. Now I cant store a compressor behind the seat :-( - Thanks Toyota....

I can't help but think I want to try the springs - for $100 it seems like a decent gamble. If I understand correctly, you can back them off if you don't want or need much help. Maybe the ride would not be much worse than with low pressure bags.

...old fart that likes over-engineering...

Last edited by cknpro; 05-15-2017 at 05:38 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daulton View Post
I have a 2009 6"lifted Crew cab base model.
We purchased a 32' trailer so I decided I needed a lift kit for the 10 degree angle it gave me. It took two days to install, with the spacer system.
I took it for a drive today and was shocked at the brutal ride I now have. I don't think I can live with this.
Do I need new shocks of some kind?
The fix is easy. Us Coachbuilder shackles to increase the space between the frame and spring where the air bag resides. You can off set the additional amount of lift by removing blocks.

2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4X4 Pyrite Mica
5.7L TRD Supercharger, Camburg UCA, Bilstein 6112,
Bilstein 5100, Coachbuilder +2 shackles & carrier drop,
Factory Tow Package, Fender Flares, Weathertech Mats
20" Platinum Wheels - Michelin LTX A/T2 LT275/65 R20
FlowMaster CatBack Exhaust - TransferFlow 46gal Fuel Tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.