Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Help w/ Bilstein 5100 Install

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
So I'm in the middle of putting everything back together but my sway bar does not want to bolt back on. Why won't it line up? I installed the same thing on a Tacoma 2 months ago with no issues. Any help is much appreciated!

#8 ·
I recently used that method to swap out my friends shocks to 5100's. I worked great, no issues for me.

Reactions: 14burrito
#9 ·
So the video clearly states at the beginning that the way they are about to show is considered dangerous by many people and that the coil spring if not handled properly can cause serious damage. Then they rig some wood between the LCA and a dime store floor jack after not recommending purpose built spring compressors.

I used the spring compressors the video did not recommend.

I felt safer than doing it the way the video shows.

Ironic....

I'm not dissing anyone who has done it the way the vid shows. I've done way more sketchy shit than this, I just think the way it's presented in the vid is funny. Plus I had the tools already, didn't have to rent them, so why not use them.

#10 ·
I see your point about the block of wood and jack @Mickleford When I used that method there wasn't any wood between the LCA and my floor jack. I also have a decent quality floor jack.
When I first put 5100's on my 07 I used a spring compressor from Auto Zone like the one not recommended in that video. It seemed a little sketchy to me when the bolts started to bow as it compressed the spring but worked without issue.
From my experience it really was much easier and not sketchy at all using the floor jack method. Either way will get the job done though.

#12 ·
Either way man! I just like finding humor in the video.

Not calling anyone out, as I mentioned I personally have performed some feats that would make people consider me a full fledged idiot.

I'm all about getting stuff done with whatever means are available to me and avoiding paying anyone to do something that I should be able to do. I've used the method in the video and have been successful. Without the wood cribbing, it def is safer and especially with a good floor jack.

I applaud anyone who tackles projects on their own. IMO thats what makes you!

Matter of fact, I think I'll have another beer!

#11 ·
I managed to use the crappy spring compressor from Amazon, which I have returned for a refund.

I would still go that route before I tried to not use a compressor at all.

Just me though.

I have seen zipties used before. Don't suggest that at all. And at .10-.20/tie, it didn't save them any money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.