Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Highway bed bounce

27K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  ERock62 
#1 ·
I have a '16 CM with a 3/1.5 lift level. When I drive concrete highways (with typical seams) i get a terrible resonance bounce at the rear. Adding 350# of sand bags helps but I want a real solution. The bounce was there before the lift but not quite as bad. I suspect a shock change may cure it. Has anyone had success solving this issue?

#3 ·
This is what I do for a better ride. It doesn't cost a thing. I have a crew max TRD and the ride is stiff. I put the front tire's air pressure at factory spec 30 psi. And the rear instead of 35 psi I put it at 30 psi. My thought on this is the engine is heavy and up front. I am usally by myself or my wife and son occasionally ride in the truck, and I don't have anything in the back. I feel since there is no weight in the back and the back of the truck is lighter I can soften the impact the tires have on the harsh ride. The ride is much better, just remember to increase the air pressure when you tow or load the bed of the truck

#4 ·
I agree that would help a "harsh ride" condition. However, the problem I am having is that the truck seems to hit a natural frequency due to the speed of the vehicle and the pitch of the spacing of the concrete seams. Once the natural frequency sets up the shocks/suspension can't compensate and the bed can be seen moving up/down. Furthermore, if the truck hits a bump during the natural frequency oscillations, the oscillations will subside momentarily until the pavements seams re-establish the oscillation.

#5 ·
There is no solution. Some things help a bit, but I haven't heard of a cure. I've tried multiple shocks, multiple tires, weight in the back, and sway bar. Sway bar makes it worse. I've heard people switching leaf springs and still gets it. Would love a solution, but I really don't think there is one.

#6 · (Edited)
My '16 TRD Pro CM has bed bounce, and the only reason I know that is because I checked my rear view mirror while driving west bound on Hwy 52 (San Diego). The bed was going through gyrations unlike anything I've ever seen on any truck I've owned, but the ride and control was smooth as glass. The difference, IMO: TRD Pro suspension...soft springs and hi-perf shocks. My 2 cents.

#7 ·
Well, I have not tried THAT yet :) I see the same thing in my rear-veiw. But I feel it too! Granted it's not all the time, but when I'm on those certain stretches of highway...it makes me want to sell the damn truck. I'm taking the sway bar back off. It's noticeably worse with it on.

#9 ·
The stock shocks have a very fast rebound in them, with a tunable shock like King, Fox, Ads, you can slow the rebound up and speed up the compression enough to pretty much get rid of the bed bounce. It works in the same concept as adding weight in the rear, you are slowing the rebound up with the added weight.

#10 ·
Now that's the type of solution I was looking for! Has anyone found a combination and setting that works well? ( especially for I-25 south of Denver ). I was looking at some less expensive, non-adjustable shocks but if I need to up the ante to an adjustable ones, then so be it.

#12 ·
Not sure what your budget is but you can just get a 2.0 smooth body shock from fox and start from there, if out of the box it isnt any better then you can revalve them. If your budget is no issue then go for a 2.5" smooth body shock. Either way they will most likely need to be revalved for you.

#18 ·
The poly bushings would do absolutely nothing for bed bounce...theyre intention is only to increase the life of the bushing.

#21 ·
I've added Deaver springs, King shocks (factory valving), Coach's poly bushings, coach's shackles, traction bars, done the TSB for the bed bounce (new cab mounts) and I still get terrible bed bounce on segmented concrete highways.

Looking at other trucks they all have the same problem as well so I don't think it's specific to the Tundra at all. Any vehicle can hit a resonance frequency and it will drive you nuts.

Just find the sweet spot (either faster or slower depending on the spacing) to avoid the resonance and it will make your life much better. For example on a 55mph highway near me I don't drive between 55-60 but the ride smooths out if I go faster.
@dirtydeeds - thoughts on revalving to help this?

#32 ·
Good lord keith, keep your head up! ;)

Why in gods green earth would anyone want to change what the the brain trust has already engineered? Lmfao

#39 ·
Flex is engineered into the DNA of the Tundra

I get the bed bounce too, but the TRD Pro suspension just sucks it up and there is no vibration or bounce in the cab. IMO, the rear open "C" section of the frame, with the trapezoidal angles, is exactly what contributes to the frame flex, and consequential bed bounce. Mike Sweers, the Toyota chief engineer for the Tundra stated that the flex is there to elimate the rough ride. He should be fired! Check the Q&A on this Autoguide video.
Q&A With Toyota Tundra Chief Engineer Mike Sweers - Video » AutoGuide.com News

#35 ·
I had pretty bad bed bounce on my 2011 double cab on concrete highways too. When I installed my lift/level kit, it went away. I put Bilstein 5100s in the front (should not have an affect on the bounce), but I think the Coachbuilder +3 shackle extensions with poly bushings made the difference. It may have been the bushings alone that changes the damping properties of the system enough to make it go away.

Reactions: Dixon Cider
#36 · (Edited)
I agree with Eddie. I put coachbuilder shackles with poly bushing when I went to the bilstein 5100s on my 2010 and noticed a lot of improvement. Sad to hear that new Tundras are still having this major issue. I know some is expected with a truck but mine was absolutely miserable on concrete sections.

My biggest concern with the bed bounce is on semi snowy roads, if you slam on your brakes and the abs kicks in, my truck just starts bouncing terribly. Which I assume doesn't improve your ability to stop. This, to me, is a major safety issue.

#37 ·
Glad to hear it Bopitz!

Just want to make sure I didn't imply it, but I still have the factory shocks on the rear, only 5100s on the front.

#40 ·
My 2015 sr5 CM TRD bounces like crazy. I drive the highway quite a bit. It drives me insane. So much so I'm thinking about selling the truck. That wouldn't be the sole reason though, the seats are pretty bad with all that lateral space and how stiff they are, the bouncing and the sliding is insanity.

#43 ·
I had 2011 F350 that had bad bed bounce driving on concrete highways, swapped out the oem Rancho shocks for 6100 Bilstiens and problem was solved. Now have 2015 Tundra and running 2.5 ICONs front and rear with Coach Builders shackles and poly bushings and TRD sway bar. Zero bed bounce on concrete highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.