Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Best 4" kit Option? ProComp?

16K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Tex_Tundra 
#1 ·
I love the 4" lift kits. They seem to be the perfect look but I want to make sure I'm buying correctly. Which kit is better RC or ProComp...Other? Rough Country is quite a bit cheaper but I want to make sure I'm not buying 'penny smart dollar stupid'. What's the better kit?

Also is 4" going to push the CVs too much? And is either one of these kits a better setup for a plow? Very light use....just plowing my driveway.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

#2 ·
Is everyone sick of "what's the best lift for my truck" threads? I get it, thousands of threads about lifts. I've spent the better part of 2 days reading them all.

Any suggestions, advise, ext would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I make that right purchase.

#3 ·
Well the CVs shouldn't be an issue as all the 4 inch lift kits actually come with a drop bracket and raised steering knuckle/spindle...both kits from pro comp and rough country utilize a coil spring spacer in conjuction with a strut spacer which uses the stock struts. So with that said both kits are almost identical with parts they use but it just depends on what people have seen with these kits installed on there truck. Im having the pro comp 4inch put on mine starting yesterday and I can give some feedback but ultimately I think all 4 inch kits for what they are and what they are used for "looks" is going to be equal. That's my opinion.

#5 ·
I went through the dealer that's what they offered but haggled on the price so that It was comparable to 4 wheel parts price installed. I also went and bought fox coilovers and bilsteins as shock replacements and my buddy works in the service department so he knows exactly what to do with the coilover to stock strut swap to make it work. I started a thread about it a week ago.

#6 ·
So it seems like you are talking about 4.5 lifts. Bds and zone are options also. Personally I they are my favorites. They lift and re inform the bottom of the strut to eliminate the collapsing that happens with spacer lifts.

If u are set on price, then just get the rc lift. It's fine. It's not the best quality you're gonna find but its not terrible and it's cheap. I think you are just looking for someone to tell you that rough country is the absolute best and best price to make you feel comfy about it. I can change my post to sound like that if you want

#8 ·
This post made me chuckle. Actually the opposite is true. If RC is shit, I'd like to know. I want to understand the difference in price point. I'm buying a $50K truck and I don't want to slap a cheap lift kit on it that's going to cause me problems down the road. I don't mind spending money on the correct parts and will hold off a few months if that means spending more than 1200-1500. I know I want 4-4.5"...my question becomes what is the right way to achieve that and not F%#K up my truck?

#9 ·
I was in the same spot you are, and ended up going with the OME 614 and a 1/4" spacer and came out at 4" I had a plow on my 08 tundra and you might want to go with the 613 springs. I have about 2k miles on this set up now and love it.

#12 ·
I would think the 614 would work good for you. I had the stock springs on my 08 with a 4" lift and a plow and it worked fine and the OME 614's are a lot better than stock

#19 ·
You do have to cut the crossmember with a BDS 4.5. It's what stopped me from getting it. You don't have to cut it with the 4" Pro Comp. Not sure about the others.

#17 ·
Well I'll chime in for the sake of giving you guys some perspective from an RC 4.5" owner...

All the parts are made in the states minus the spindles. Everything is nicely powdercoated and are nice and beefy except the spindles (I PC'd those before install). I installed the kit myself and it all lined up nicely; no tweaking, massaging, or banging on anything to make it fit. I am very happy with the kit.

Alignment went just as smooth as well. Nothing was out of tolerance and they were as close to 0/OEM spec as before the lift. I have toyo 35s so it was critical this was dialed in. Almost a year later I do not have uneven wear on my tires or cupping, etc. Nor do I have weird sounds, rust on parts, clunks, etc.

I have a friend with the BDS lift and he is happy with his as well. Had a problem but I want to say it was more the install shop than the kit. Ironically, it had something to do with the cutting and welding of the plates for the subframe.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy kit again especially since I have first hand experience with the kit. My CV angles are dang near flat meaning I have a little more room when I decide to go coilovers and raise it a tad higher (maybe, haha)

Attachments

#24 ·
#26 ·
That looks like the front cross member is still there and the instructions say to cut the rear frame cross member and I am sure it must be cut to clear the front diff.

So it looks like you have to cut one of the cross members to install the BDS kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.