Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Bilstein 5100 Bumpstop Spacers

15K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  dirtydeeds 
#1 ·
So I unpackaged my 5100's yesterday and reviewed the instructions. The instructions state to install the provided bump stop spacers if the shock is used on the middle or top setting. I know my way around solid axle suspensions, but not IFS and this baffles me. How does a shock that can handle the full stroke on the lowest preload setting not handle the stroke on the middle and high settings? Can someone explain?

#3 ·
So I couldn't find an email for them so you'll have to take my translation from their Tech Support Line for now.

According to the guy on the other end, once you adjust the ride height to the medium or high settings, the increased angle of your control arm allows the shock to cycle further which is the reason for the bump stop.

Clear as mud right? It took a lot of back and forth to get to this point, which has me question the validity. It still doesn't make sense to me, but I'll throw one of the two provided spacers in each side per his recommendation and call it a day.

#7 ·
I put my fronts on the middle setting and believe i just used the spacers from the oem shocks. No issues yet with around 13,000 miles on them. I need to double check my parts bag from my 5100s and see though. I hope its not an issue going forward, kind of a pain in the A$$ to install but happy with the results.

#8 ·
I think you are referring to the washers that sandwich the bushing. The instructions call for one of each to be installed on the each of the bump stops on both sides.

I just finished up the shock install and I'm on the highest setting. I think I spent as much time fighting with the diff drop nuts than installing the shocks. They were a huge PITA, just not enough room for my sausages.

Nothing like high jacking your own thread. Back on Track...

I didn't install these spacers until this thread makes a decision on whether or not they're needed.

#9 ·
Man I have no idea. In my mind, those spacers would be needed if the collapsed measurement of the shock is too long. The extended length makes no difference unless you are worried about over extending your CVs; in which case you would want limit straps.

In either case, the collapsed or extended length should not be affected by moving the spring collar. So it should not make a difference what height setting you have.

That said, are you a gambling man? There are two possibilities in my mind:

1) The collapsed length is too long. So you need to install the bump spacers no matter which height setting you have.

2) The collapsed length is ok. So you do not need to install the spacer no matter which ride height you have.

The best way to decide is to cycle your suspension. This means talking off the coil and fully compressing the suspension and checking for interference.
@dirtydeeds do you have anything to contribute here???

#11 ·
Man I have no idea. In my mind, those spacers would be needed if the collapsed measurement of the shock is too long. The extended length makes no difference unless you are worried about over extending your CVs; in which case you would want limit straps.

In either case, the collapsed or extended length should not be affected by moving the spring collar. So it should not make a difference what height setting you have.

That said, are you a gambling man? There are two possibilities in my mind:

1) The collapsed length is too long. So you need to install the bump spacers no matter which height setting you have.

2) The collapsed length is ok. So you do not need to install the spacer no matter which ride height you have.

The best way to decide is to cycle your suspension. This means talking off the coil and fully compressing the suspension and checking for interference.

@dirtydeeds do you have anything to contribute here???
This one is definitely odd. I've had mor Bilsteins in my hands than...... Well

I've never once seen instructions saying to drop the bump. Nor have I seen s spacer in the box. This is something that should come with coil spacer lifts, not Bilsteins.

As o side said, the clip/groove setting had nothing to do with thee over all length of the shock.
I think I like my chances on leaving them off. I'll chalk it up to a mistake on the packagers part and incompetence on tech supports part. Still a nice product and I was glad to find some in stock last week.

Thanks for the help guys!:beerchug:

#10 · (Edited)
This one is definitely odd. I've had more Bilsteins in my hands than...... Well

I've never once seen instructions saying to drop the bumpstop. Nor have I seen a spacer in the box. This is something that should come with coil spacer lifts, not Bilsteins.

As o side said, the clip/groove setting has nothing to do with the over all length of the shock.

#14 ·
I had 5100's on my 07. When I put them on around 2010 there were no spacers included. Just before I sold it at the end of 2014 I replaced a blown front 5100. It came with the spacer so I just put them on. I never researched why or when Bilstein included the spacer because I was selling the truck. I guess my point is for some reason they decided to include spacers sometime between 2010 and 2014. The mystery continues. Lol

#15 ·
just ordered mine all the way around. hopefully itll be less than a month before they get here lol...

Ill see what mine say when they come in too.

#17 ·
I would think if they are needed at all that they would just simply always be needed.

Maybe in 14 the bumpstops changed height? :dunno:

Maybe it just took them that many years to realize that constant bottoming out on the shock compression was killing them?

A co with more pre-load would be harder to compress all the way and I would think they would be more of an issue with them set softer than more preload... Hmm.

Reactions: Redwoods Jay
#18 ·
Ok. Just had a chance to look over everything and make my little brain do a little analysis. Haha

Install the spacer. Maybe they know something we don't. Maybe the new shock is slightly longer than stock. You would rather hit the bump 3/16" prematurely for no reason, if it needed it, than crush your shocks. Haha. That's an oxymoron.

The spacer is so insignificant You will never notice it, unless the shock is too long thst is;)

#20 · (Edited)
The Bilstein 6112s come with these as well. I installed them.

It's the thick washer directly above the bump stop in the photo. Since there are 2 bump stops per side, there are 4 washers all together. They are VERY easy to install and can be installed or removed without removing anything else. All you have to do is unscrew the bump stop, add the washer, then screw the bump stop back on.

True, they may be pointless, but if Bilstein wants me to do it, I'll do it because it may save me from a warranty headache later on.

#23 ·
Extra preload in the spring due to collar height change can lead to the spring going solid before the bumpstop engaging so you could in theory, taco you shocks like a spacer lift...

#24 ·
Please don’t see this response as starting an argument. I just want to make sure anyone reading this thread has a better understanding of some of the typical set ups that I see on our trucks.

If a manufacturer is offering drop spacers for the bump stops, it’s best to use em. When you use a coilover where the shock is longer than stock, when the suspension hits full bump, the shock itself will be crushed by the suspension. By installing a spacer under the bump stop you make the suspension work correctly by stopping up travel using the bumpstop instead of the shock.

The adjustable bilstein 5100’s coil spring won’t bind even at the top setting.

#25 ·
No problem Keith! I don't see that as being an argument lol... Just more info... The coil binding is one of the only items that made sense to me if they include a bumpstop spacer.
Are the 5100 bodies longer than the stock cans?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.