Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2015 CM - 5100's or OME

9K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  doc307 
#1 ·
I have read thread after thread on here about lifts and have narrowed it down to the 5100's or OME kit.
I originally thought I would get a spacer leveling kit but have decided against that due to all the good information on here.

I will not be using the tundra offroad very much. I plan on getting an older jeep for my offroading fun and using
the tundra for my tow vehicle. It will take me into the woods hunting but that's about it.

I want the truck somewhat leveled so going I would only use the front coils/struts and rear shocks of the OME.

I plan on running 295's on the stock platinum wheels

The OME is 3 times the price of the 5100's but I don't want to use cost as a sole factor on a $50k truck.

I added the Raptor stainless steps yesterday and getting the windows tinted Monday.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
I kicked around the OME for quite a while, but then realized I didn't need that type of capability since my truck is a street queen. I think Bilsteins get a bad rap due to the collapse issues on the older shocks. These new ones are pretty rugged. I love my Bilsteins and am happy that I saved the $$ for other stuff. You won't be let down with the ride of the Bilsteins either.

Reactions: doc307 and kwazziee
#4 ·
OME is more expensive because it is a complete coil/shock replacement. If you plan to really use your truck where OME will excel (offroad or heavy bumper/winch) then that is the way to go. If you just want the "look" and doable functionality then the Billies will be fine for you.

Also, you won't lose any travel with the OME but you will with the Billies, again though, if you are an "in town" driver then the travel loss won't affect you anyway.

#5 ·
If all you want to do is level the truck, stick with the 5100s. The 5100s on top setting just about perfectly level the truck. The OME setups are awesome, and worth the money if you use them. I believe the OME will lift the front end a minimum of 3", which would put you nose high a bit.

#7 ·
2010 - I have looked at your build several times and am very impressed. Part of me really wants the OME kit in case I need to use it.

I got rid of my 2008 Jeep for this Tundra. I used the jeep for it's intended purpose. We had an addition to the family which
prompted the trade but going offroad is why I want an older jeep. My 10yo son loves going in the jeep and I love the father/son time.

I appreciate all the suggestions and advice. I'm not putting too much in the 5100 collapse issue but it does weigh in the decision.

My family using my jeep:

#9 ·
2010 - I have looked at your build several times and am very impressed. Part of me really wants the OME kit in case I need to use it.
Thanks man :nerd:

I appreciate all the suggestions and advice. I'm not putting too much in the 5100 collapse issue but it does weigh in the decision.
For decent wheeling, it is not really the collapse issues I would be concerned with, rather the loss of travel. When you lose travel you can easily bend the entire shock during some decent wheeling. Also, I am not a mechanical engineer but something just does not "feel right" to me with regard to using a shock to pre-load a coil in order to achieve lift (not just the billies but other lifts as well). A shock is supposed to do just that, absorb shock, and from a wheeling standpoint, using it to pre-load a coil seems rather counter intuitive.

#10 · (Edited)
I'm not a mechanical engineer either but I did take some classes while getting my electrical and I agree completely with you 2010. Those are the same reasons that lead me to put a true lift on the jeep above. New shocks front and rear, new coils front and rear, longer swaybar links which I would disconnect when wheeling and a heavy duty adjustable trackbar for the front axle to center it after the lift. Although those tires are rubbing in that picture, the lift worked really well and those are 35x12.50's stuffed under there.

I would go OME without a doubt if I knew I was going to be rough with it. As a matter of fact the OME is slightly leading right now for all the above and ease of installation since I would go ahead and get the struts/coils assembled from toytec so I don't have to mess with the coils. I have a set of compressors I used on the jeep but the tundra coils look much beefier.

#11 ·
I went OME and love it. I don't have any of the technical know how that's already been mentioned but I'm just happy to know that should I get the urge to do any off roading I'll be able to and won't have to remember that I've handicapped my truck because I put something else on. I'm of the rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it variety.

#12 ·
I went with the OME even though I never go off road. The roads around where I live is very rough with generous amount of pot holes. Now I no longer cringe when I go over a large pot hole.

Reactions: FunkinTundra
#23 ·
Sub'd...

And preload is just as bad as a spacer kit, IMO. Why, God, WHY are there SO MANY frickin options for these trucks?!!?!!! I wish it were easier to decide what to put on my baby. First, I see 5100's, then I see 6112's then I see ICON and FOX coil overs, then I see things like this OME thread....lmfao! I guess it's a good thing. Let all of you be the guineas and then the rooks can get it right the first time. MANY THANKS to tha vets for all of your information.

#24 ·
I now have my windows tinted and it's time to move on to the next project which
is the lift. This thread has me leaning more towards the OME 612's. Guess I need
to do a little more reading about them.

I also am leaning towards the Goodyear Duratracs for tires

Reactions: Joshhtn
#25 ·
I'm in the same boat as you all. I actually BOUGHT a full OME614 with LR UCA from Toytec and returned it right after the purchase as I was just way too unsure of what to do. Now I am going back and forth between Toytec 3/1, OME 614, 5100 with 1"CB Shim.....arghhhhh!!!!!!!

I think what I actually need to do is save up some, by the OME614, by the CB+2 Shackles, and call it a day.

#26 ·
Damn. I know the feeling! I like the OME 614 with the add a leaf and some new UCA's. I cant decide on which yet, ICON/Total Chaos/Camburg. I have a crew max 2WD and just cant wait to get it set up. @Joshhtn has the same setup but in 4WD. Dude says he loves it and recommends it. JEAH!

#27 ·
I have the 5100s with a small spacer up front and some blocks in the rear. Gives me enough to run 35s without rubbing. I do get a pop from time to time at full lock going over a bump, but it is minimal. My truck is a DCLB, so I do have to go full lock in parking lots -- this thing handles like a small yacht. I really like my setup. My lift and tires were installed by the dealer prior to me purchasing the truck -- it was on their showroom. I have done some very mild off roading, but since I have a couple of 4 wheelers and a side by side -- this just has to get the trailer to the trails. It works well for me. The ride quality is great and the stance of the truck is perfect. Good luck with your decision. Buy what makes sense for you. If you don't plan on tackling the rubicon trail or the rocks in Moab - do you really need the extra performance from the OME?

#28 ·
Some out there, like me, dont really NEED the extra performance. Especially the pavement pounders...but the piece of mind is nice to have if you do ever need the extra performance. Just IMO, and my opinion changes by the minute. lmao

#29 · (Edited)
These threads always crack me up for several reasons...

Everyone talks about "leveling" but then they get CB's to restore the rake. That is called a LIFT, since if the truck still raked -by definition- it isn't going to be level.

Everyone talks about which kits have off-road capability and how they compare... A Tundra has no REAL offroad capability, lets face it. I love mine, but it's a purpose rig, and it is what it is. You can drive in dirt, lift it and put bigger wheels/tires to provide more clearance over moderate rocky areas... thats about it. The wheelbase is much too long for anything more, the diffs won't apply the power (even with ASD) as a locker would, and there's little wheel travel to work with.

I suggest getting the Bilsteins. I'm going through the same debate, and the Bils will allow the larger tire, and let you accomplish all the "offroading" that the truck can fundamentally handle, and you can take the Jeep on the trails.

In my opinion, the only truly functional suspension mod would be a Camburg or other long-travel kit with some quality coilovers. I'm saving my pennies.

#30 · (Edited)
Someone tell dixondn quick. His truck has no off-road capabilities. OME kit with 35 tires, climbing China Wall.

Attachments

#37 ·
TROLL alert.

Reactions: brabus and Joshhtn
#38 ·
No kidding... :eek:

It was clear to me in the beginning that he really had no clue what he was talking about, but with this post & the one before it, I'm assured that he doesn't.

Some folks are strange.

#39 ·
Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings... I'd hate for you to lose sleep over this disagreement, hopefully the damage isn't already done. The Tundra is a great truck - I own one ;)

#40 · (Edited)
How can some nameless, faceless person on an Online forum, hurt our feelings?? We don't even know you. For all we know, you're 13 years old and sitting in mom's basement... And by the way you carry yourself here, I'm guessing that isn't far from the truth.

For me to allow you to hurt my feelings, would mean I care enough about what you have to say... :blahblah:

I'm going to go ahead and let you have the last word... This thread is full of some good information, and I've done enough to help derail it by feeding the troll... I should know better.

#41 ·
How? By virtue of the very fact that you've derailed this poor guy's thread to argue with me. My advice is as good as anyone's on this thread and offers a different perspective to his question, as does ANY reply to any thread. Welcome to online forums... Deep breaths....

#lastword

#42 ·
Really? Hash tags? Come on now....

#44 ·
Its my dick in a boxxxx

Reactions: Mrtruckman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.