Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Which Coilovers

22K views 124 replies 34 participants last post by  Black tundra15 
#1 ·
Fox 2.0 or Icon? Took my spacer lift off and want coilovers wondering which is better and why?

#3 ·
Comparison for what you listed is not apples to apples. Icon does not make a 2.0 coilover, they make a 2.5 which holds more oil so between your listed i vote icon.

...if you are apples to apples between a Fox 2.5 and Icon 2.5 coilover - I vote Fox because thats my only experience and never ran into any issues with them and have always had great support through their tech and sales.

#4 ·
Trying to make the same decision myself and really from my researching there isn't a "best one" out there. Everyone is going to have their favorites but from what I can tell if you stay in the fox, icon, king, or ads systems I'm sure your going to receive quality product. I'm in the fox vs king vs ads debate personally and to me all seem like very good stuff I just need to make up my mind.

#5 ·
Well I have seen Fox 2.0 for $ 800.00 and Icons are 1200ish are they worth more than Fox by $500?. I can buy front and back Fox for less than front Icons

#8 ·
I was under the impression by preloading the spring that you could get more out of the 2.0??

#10 ·
I asked the same question yesterday but my truck has a 6" P/C lift, have not received any feedback. Must be the new year blues. I am calling FOX and KING Monday.

#15 ·
I went with the pro comp coilovers for my 6" lift

#12 ·
#13 · (Edited)
I don't wheel but I do spend a lot of time in the fall up north driving logging roads from spot to spot hunting, and often I get the itch to drive it like I stole it :) I was looking for 2.5" of height as I am going to be putting a cap on and with the 2.5" in the front and coachbuilder +3's in the rear I will still end up with a little bit of rake so when I pull my truck doesn't squat so bad. I had 3" spacers on and just didn't like them but do like the stance of the truck lifted over stock. I thought I could live with the truck at stock height as my 275 70 18's on 18x9 +25 will fit no problem stock height but I look at it now like NOPE!

#14 ·
IMHO the 2.0 anything are undersized for a 6500lb vehicle. Go 2.5 and you won't have to worry. Any of the said brands are good and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference until they need rebuilt. Then that's a whole other topic. :D

Reactions: jc153
#16 ·
I can't speak for Fox, but when I needed my icons rebuilt it was a bitch....I was truckless for over a week while I had to ship them to California....

#20 ·
I went with icon coils on my pro comp 6". Nice ride no problems, good off-road. Have about 20k miles on them.

#22 ·
I'm considering Fox 2.0 for 2 inch of lift/level as well. I added helper springs to the rear and they raised it about 1 inch. With Fox 2.0, does the UCA need to be replaced? For tires I will stay with the stock 275/65/18 size.

#23 ·
Also, will the Fox 2.0 shocks provide a little extra suspension travel?

Thanks in advance

#24 ·
Is a new UCA needed when using Fox 2.0 coil over shocks? If so, can anyone recommend one?

#25 ·
It is only required with the Fox 2.5 capable of up to 3" lift. The 2.0's and 2.5 capable of up to 2" doesn't require an aftermarket UCA. An aftermarket UCA is a good idea to help with caster angles however. Camburg has both UCA's that use a uniball, and one that uses the stock ball joint. The one that uses the stock ball joint is pretty cheap.

#27 ·
Went with Icons to match up with Pro Comp 6" lift, installing them tomorrow and dialing them in over the next couple days.:)

Reactions: Zackbremer
#30 ·
The difference in the rebuild for Icon is that they have a seal that is a PITA to change and you need a charge needle to add Nitrogen. Plus when you ship them out for a rebuild Icon only does rebuilds on Tuesdays. So depending on when the receive them it ciuld be a day or a week plus shipping time. With King and Fox any motorcycle shop can rebuild them in a couple of hours and don't have to ship them out. Most won't touch Icon cause they don't know them.

Reactions: Dragos28
#32 ·
I have ADS Racing Shocks and they are pretty neato. The "best" coil over search will drive you mad! I have never owned any other brand of shock but I'll share why I went with ADS even though I planned to buy Kings. I didn't want to mix n match brands of shocks. I wanted extended length coilovers for the front because I was going to buy UCAs. I wanted a extended length rear shock because I planned to replace my rear leaf pack with Deavers which are longer and allow for more droop travel. I looked at Fox, Kings, ADS and Icon. From research I learned that the front coilovers were all pretty much the same. And they were relatively priced the same too.

I chose the longest coilover for my stock lower control arms. Ads had the longest coilover. We're only talking like 1/4 inch differences so it wasn't a big deal but I wanted "Max" travel for the mid travel system.

ADS has 700lb springs which allows better off road performance ie you can drive faster with out bottoming out as easily. Fox has 700. King has 600 which is nice for onroad but not so much for offroad . Icon has ???? I've read 650 and I've read 700lb springs.

Please note that you can revalve a 600lb King coilover to be better off road ( stiffer valving) you can get a 700lb spring on a King. Same goes with any other brand. Im only referring to off the shelf stock valving/spring weight.

On to the rear: I spent $800 on Deavers. I wanted a shock that would take advantage of the longer droop. I was surprised that the big companies don't offer a Deaver specific rear shock. They only had oem applications. However, ADS offered a specific shock for the Deavers. It's a 2.5 piggyback shock that allows the Deavers to droop further. And now they released a triple bypass Deaver spec length. Woo!

So really I based my decision on the rear end with Deavers. ADS was the only brand that offered a specific shock for this.

I'm happy with the setup I have. I would've been good going with Kings, Fox too or even Icon.
Lol. There's no one brand that's the best cause you can customize any brand. Good luck sorting it out. @MCM

When going to the mall I swap out for Fox shocks cause bitches love Fox. Lol

#33 ·
I have ADS Racing Shocks and they are pretty neato. The "best" coil over search will drive you mad! I have never owned any other brand of shock but I'll share why I went with ADS even though I planned to buy Kings. I didn't want to mix n match brands of shocks. I wanted extended length coilovers for the front because I was going to buy UCAs. I wanted a extended length rear shock because I planned to replace my rear leaf pack with Deavers which are longer and allow for more droop travel. I looked at Fox, Kings, ADS and Icon. From research I learned that the front coilovers were all pretty much the same. And they were relatively priced the same too.

I chose the longest coilover for my stock lower control arms. Ads had the longest coilover. We're only talking like 1/4 inch differences so it wasn't a big deal but I wanted "Max" travel for the mid travel system.

ADS has 700lb springs which allows better off road performance ie you can drive faster with out bottoming out as easily. Fox has 700. King has 600 which is nice for onroad but not so much for offroad . Icon has ???? I've read 650 and I've read 700lb springs.

Please note that you can revalve a 600lb King coilover to be better off road ( stiffer valving) you can get a 700lb spring on a King. Same goes with any other brand. Im only referring to off the shelf stock valving/spring weight.

On to the rear: I spent $800 on Deavers. I wanted a shock that would take advantage of the longer droop. I was surprised that the big companies don't offer a Deaver specific rear shock. They only had oem applications. However, ADS offered a specific shock for the Deavers. It's a 2.5 piggyback shock that allows the Deavers to droop further. And now they released a triple bypass Deaver spec length. Woo!

So really I based my decision on the rear end with Deavers. ADS was the only brand that offered a specific shock for this.

I'm happy with the setup I have. I would've been good going with Kings, Fox too or even Icon.
Lol. There's no one brand that's the best cause you can customize any brand. Good luck sorting it out. @MCM

When going to the mall I swap out for Fox shocks cause bitches love Fox. Lol
This guy cracks me up every time. Lol

Love your set up brotha, wish I had the coin for it. All my project money is allocated to my gen 1 at the moment though. The bitches do love my Foxes however. :p

#34 ·
Fox Rebuild Instructions
Remote Reservoir 2.0 and 2.5

1. Clean shock. Loosen set-screw located on bearing cap.
2. Loosen bearing cap with a spanner wrench/pliers. Remove bearing cap assembly.
3. De-pressurize shock completely.
4. Push bearing assembly down to expose snap ring. Remove snap ring.
5. Remove shaft / bearing assembly, by rocking back and forth and pulling out at the same time.
6. Depress valve side reservoir end cap. Remove snap ring and reservoir end cap.
7. Dump shock oil. Depress hose side reservoir end cap. Remove snap ring, remove hose and end cap from reservoir. Remove IFP (Internal Floating Piston).
8. Clamp eyelet is a soft jawed vice with shaft facing up. Remove valving, bearing assembly, and bearing cap assembly. Make sure to keep all valve plates and piston in the same order as removed.
9. Use a scribe to remove all seals from bearing cap, bearing assembly, reservoir end caps, and IFP. Clean all parts. (Be careful not to damage any sealing surfaces)
10. Inspect all valve plates and damping piston, look for cracks or any signs of fatigue.
11. Check shaft to see that it is not bent or has any deep pits. Replace if required.
12. Install new seals on all parts. Use a small amount of grease on bearing assembly and cap.
13. Install bearing and cap assemblies onto shaft. Be careful not to damage any seals.
14. Install valving assembly and lock-nut. Torque nut to 30 ft./lb.
15. Clean body assembly, place in a vise open end up.
16. Clean reservoir body. Lube IFP and install flush with the end of the reservoir body. (Valve end)
17. Fill reservoir with oil. (FOX 5wt). Reconnect reservoir assembly to hose assembly. Install snap-ring, check to be sure it is seated completely.
18. 2.0 shocks: On the 11” long reservoir, push the IFP in 8” from the open end of the reservoir. On the 8” long reservoir, push the IFP in 6” from the open end of the reservoir. 2.5” shocks: Push the IFP in 10”. This will force any trapped air into the shock body.
19. Fill the body with oil, leaving a 2” air gap at the top.
20. Insert shaft and valving assembly into shock. Gently move the shaft assembly in and out until all the air bubbles are removed.
21. Check the IFP height. Reset if needed.
22. Top off the shock with oil 1/4” from the top.
23. Slowly insert the bearing assembly into the shock body. Oil will come out the bleed hole built into the bearing (use a cup to catch it). Push the bearing in so that the snap ring can be installed.
24. Install the snap ring. Check to be sure it is completely in its groove. This is very important!
25. Install bearing cap assembly. Screw it onto the bearing assembly until it is snug.
26. Lube and install the reservoir end cap. Install the last snap ring.
27. Compress the shaft all of the way into the shock. This should set the reservoir end cap into position. (It should make a pop / snap sound).
28. Pressurize the reservoir with 200 psi. Install reservoir valve cap.
29. Tighten down bearing cap assembly. Tighten bearing cap set-screw.
30. Remove the shock from the vise. Compress the shock to make sure it is working properly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.