Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

ADS Coilovers and rear shocks

35K views 108 replies 19 participants last post by  osidepunker 
#1 ·
Who is running these? What is your set up? What do you think?

Looking for the proverbial "caddy" ride on the rode, and supreme ability off. I am very intrigued by this brand as the appear to be high quality, long lasting and coated to protect against elements such as salt.

Thanks to all in advance!!

#2 ·
You got my feedback from the other post. I say you can't go wrong with ADS. As far as caddy ride. Not happening unless bolting on 3.0 or higher shocks. Not reality with the Tundras at the moment.

You will get a compliant ride with the ADS shock valving. Meaning taking out the kidney buster over imperfection on road and better control off road at speeds.

Reactions: chuckg
#3 ·
In your other thread you stated that suspension for you is a visual thing and your truck will almost never see any off road. Now you want a plush ride on the street and "supreme" off road ability? You really need to figure out what you want because you cant have both. Mid travel COs with reservoirs are pretty expensive for something you don't sound like you actually need, but I get it. The shit looks cool for sure. If you just have to have it then get them valved for how you will drive at least 75% of the time. For your situation I suggest you valve them pretty soft and then maybe spring for the clickers so you can stiffen up the compression "if" you decide you want to play a little. The clickers wont turn your ride from a Caddy to a trophy truck but they will help a little. Or if money isn't an issue just valve the front COs soft as shit and run front and rear bypasses.

#4 ·
I agree achieving both a "caddy" ride and supreme offroad capability is far fetched. I like to have great quality parts and overkill for my use. By asking for these things I get detailed responses like yours that help a person like me (No expierence or knowledge in the offroad suspension world) understand how these systems work and what to ask for when ordering. When I ordered my Icons the last time, I had no idea what valving was or that it is somewhat customizable.

And you nailed it, I don't need any of it for my use. I do like having the best and I like things that look good!

#6 ·
If it helps, you can always give me a call. I've been tuning Tundra suspension since 2003>:D

I'll send you ADS shocks valved/sprung according to a 'caddy' ride, and I'll beat any competitors price;)

I also deal with King and Fox as well. If one of those brands suits your needs best I'll help point out what works and what doesn't.

My main priority is that you get the perfect set up for your truck and the way that you use it.

#17 ·
Thats why I spent time fixing a set up for a customer you and downsouth left hanging. If you cant come on here and sell a product legitimately, dont waste peoples time. Bragging about underselling the competition surely doesnt help the product or the industry. Last I checked, ADS spent their own time correcting your lack of customer service.
Calm down son. This is business, not high school. I didn't even install his shocks. And I fixed the installers mistakes which stemmed from the shocks being too long. And, he paid MY price for the shocks. Which is $100 cheaper than Kings. With that kind of mark up no wonder ya sell em. Just do so without bashing King, then you'll be seen as a 'big boy'.

This was a 'buddy' deal gone wrong because the shocks don't fit. I was cool about it, and so was the other party (bbrsm), you should calm down and be cool about it too;)

#8 ·
I have these shocks....Used for mainly street....Best shock there is Period!

I have had some very recent personal experience with getting some ADS shock installed and getting them right for me and what I wanted them for. They are pure race shocks that are available for our Tundras as a bolt in application. Mine were a little stiff so I was able to work side by side with Brian at the ADS facility to get them right where I wanted them. I went from 700 lb springs to 600 lb and revalved my rear shocks. Brian allowed me to personally help rebuild these shocks as he explained the build quality and what was different from the other companies out there. I was sold and the ride is way better than I could have ever imagined. It is great for street and the occasional sudden left turn off road stint. A few of my buddies have commented on how smooth and controlled the truck feels.

Do yourself a favor and call ADS to find out who is connected with them. This will make your experience much more enjoyable. If your ever in PHX hit me up and I will show you the way a street truck should handle...ha ha. You cant go wrong with ADS.

#15 ·
ADS uses the Parker tough stuff hose, its known by many to be the best hydraulic hose offered. As well as all JIC and O ring boss fittings. I believe fox uses the better fittings as well.

The kings generally use pipe thread fittings and a very generic blue hose made for them

#18 ·
I'm new to the suspension game and I barely made a decision on some damn WHEELS....WHEELS! After a month of trading emails with Vince. (Thanks by the way)

I have been back and forward with suspension choices and after hearing all this bickering about who’s better and who’s cheaper....it just confuses a new guy like myself!

I honestly don't care about price and who can get me the cheapest deal, all I care about is who will put up with my countless emails and indecisiveness (I'm an engineer and I'm a details guy so I'm always doing my due diligence) To me it’s who is the guy that will sell me honesty, that’s what gets my money!

I've emailed both of you guys and one of you haven’t responded back from the last time so we all have faults....

Put a plug in it and PLEASE keep this forum to a "knowledge" forum and not whom has the biggest rooster.

A lot of new guys on here (myself included) rather here about product performance rather than a bunch of girls fighting.

Not trying to get in the middle of this but DAMN! This is like the 10th posts I've seen with vendors arguing.

#21 ·
Put a plug in it and PLEASE keep this forum to a "knowledge" forum and not whom has the biggest rooster.

A lot of new guys on here (myself included) rather here about product performance rather than a bunch of girls fighting.

Not trying to get in the middle of this but DAMN! This is like the 10th posts I've seen with vendors arguing.
+1

#19 ·
From looking in from the outside, A vendor came into this thread to provoke another to get a reaction. Not cool, nor looks mature and cluttered up the thread with rants. Personally if you want to purchase ADS, then go through Matt at MCM Fab. He is an autorized dealer with ADS. I'm impresssed with ADS after coming over from King and a couple other shocks.

Get back on track with tech info.

Reactions: NickG and SC Tuna
#20 ·
Here are some FACTs.

King Shocks 25.27" Ext

ADS shocks 25.625" Ext

ICON shocks, 25.375 Ext.

Keith told Justin that the ADS shocks were 2" too long, as you can see, this clearly is not fact.

Justin ended up having to buy a set of my UCAs as they have the proper spacers and cup angle to allow enough articulation for ALL brand shocks.

When Justin had issues, Keith made zero effort to correct the problem, just wanted to pawn off the blame.

ADS spent hrs of THEIR own time swapping springs, installing the new UCAs, and revalving the rear shocks. Without a single CHARGE to the customer. All things that could have been avoided had someone not been so intent on underselling someone, and actually caring about helping the customer get the right set up.

I have never bashed Kings, just provided facts about shocks.

How about you stick to selling your products by providing facts, I will sell my products by providing facts, and let the customer make their own educated decisions.

ADS shocks work with my UCAs, Camburg UCAs, Stock UCAs without any issues. So why is it the shocks fault when your UCAs don't work.

And for the record, I tried to help Justin keep your arms to save him some money and just provide different spacers. But he chose to go with my UCAs out of respect for all the time I spent helping him correct the situation.

You try to turn everything into a pissing match by trying to undercut everyone, the bickering is annoying. If your so threatened by "this kid", maybe you should better educate yourself and improve you knowledge of facts on the products you sell.

#22 ·
I did not want to share the personal part of my endeavor in researching suspension and how I obtained what I got. I dont need to mention names either because I chose based off some good info that I was able to obtain from online research and talking to multiple vendors of all the big shocks out there.

ADS shocks are not to long....

fully extended lengths

ADS - 25.625
Icon - 25.42
King - 25.27

Other reasons for going with ADS for me were the lower mount was designed better so that it would not hit the lower control arm. Others need you to grind on the lower to make it fit right...? The available adjustability to fine tune each shock is more than others. Pistons have a better design than other shocks. Rear shocks had a more efficient resi design and look awesome too. And the color.....who wants 3 different colors of blue on there shock...not me but hey its all personal opinion.

I think that Deeds needs to focus on Kings and MCM needs to focus on ADS which he does. Now lets inform customers and answer some good questions and move on.

#26 · (Edited)
I highly recommend that you jack up the front of your truck. If your uniballs are still binding(which I'm sure they are) you need a spacer in the shock or limit straps. There's no way a misalignment is going to fix the issue you have. If you do not control droop, as the shocks are supposed to do (but in the case of your shocks, don't) you will have catastrophic failure.

#23 ·
I didn't realize you needed to grind to fit Kings. So the issue you had was just the combo of Keith's UCAs and the ADS COs?

#24 ·
You don't have to grind for kings. I've installed more than 20-30sets and never had to do any grinding.

My upper arm is exactly the same as chaos and burg. We all move the upper ball joint/uniballs back 2" and in 1/4". If you don't do this geometry correction you have to work it out thru the lower arm.

With my arms (and chaos and burg) you set up the truck 3" over stock and the alignment falls into factory spec if you set alignment cams straight up and toe in 1/8".

My misalignments are also exactly the same as chaos and burg. If you go thinner you would have to use a smaller diameter bolt and that would not be safe.

I'm on this thread to help customers get the right shocks for their truck, not trying to provoke anybody;)

#34 ·
mine clear nicely

Attachments

Reactions: Dragos28
#51 ·
All fun and games till someone gets the panties in a bunch. Damn...ads shocks are the best!

Reactions: M C M
#54 ·
sure if it derails the thread some more. :eek:

#57 ·
Buy ADS shocks and you will think there is a god! :D

#69 ·
After hearing the talk about ADS coilovers being too long both extended and compressed I cycled mine to full bump without the spring. I had the Camburg ball joint UCA's and didn't have any binding at the ball joint when they were installed on my 07 Tundra. Pics show the LCA hit the bumps with some room left for the shock to compress. No shock length issues on my truck. Now I just have to install everything on my 09 4x4.
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Automotive fuel system Suspension part
Auto part Fuel line Pipe Automotive fuel system Engine

Suspension part Auto part Vehicle brake Suspension Tire

#70 ·
After hearing the talk about ADS coilovers being too long both extended and compressed I cycled mine to full bump without the spring. I had the Camburg ball joint UCA's and didn't have any binding at the ball joint when they were installed on my 07 Tundra. Pics show the LCA hit the bumps with some room left for the shock to compress. No shock length issues on my truck. Now I just have to install everything on my 09 4x4.
View attachment 355625 View attachment 355633
View attachment 355641
Thanks for adding some more proof. Sometimes people rather point fingers instead of accept the obvious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.