Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Leveling kits

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dirtydeeds 
#1 ·
Alright I'm new to the group so bare with me, I have a 2011 rock warrior edition and I'm wanting to level it, what's the best kit and is there a kit to allow me to run 35x12.50r18s if I put a 4 inch lift it voids my warranty and I really wanna 35s any help is appreciated

#2 ·
Hey bud, we offer a 2.5" leveling kit with diff drop spacers and skidplate spacers. It's designed to clear a 33" tall tire but you CAN clear up to a 35-12.50 with the proper wheel width and offset. I have had a few customers do it. Here are the specifications:
- 18" wheels or larger. NO WIDER THAN 9"! so 18x8, 18x8.5, 18x9, 20x8 etc.
- Wheels MUST have 6" backspacing or higher so 6.25", 6.5" etc. the higher the number the more sucked in the wheels are. Of course you cant go too high or you will hit the frame, upper arms etc. I would try to stick with a 6" backspace
- 35" tall tires NO WIDER than 12.50" the narrower the better
- Body mount modification will absolutely be necessary
- depending on the wheel and tire you run you may still get slight rubbing at full lock turns. Mostly while in reverse or with a few passengers in the vehicle.

Other than those words of advice go to a reputable shop that can trim the fenders properly and clean along with doing the body mount mod. Make sure your wheels and tires are to spec and keep in mind you may experience slight rubbing here and there. Hope this helps! If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck to you! -- Sean, Maxtrac Suspension

#3 ·
The truck Below is running an Icon Stage 6 kit, with 35" Toyo M/T's on 17" Method Double Standards. To fit the 35's it's set at about 3" of lift, and a body mount trim is required.

You don't wanna do a spacer like stated above, all it does is limit you up travel and cause the suspension to want to over extend. You will gain no performance or ride quality. With A Full coilover like I linked to (multiple stages you can do) will give you more wheel travel, more control, better ride, and rebuildable components.

Icon Tundra Stage 6

#4 ·
I completely agree with everything you said in regards to ICON coilovers and the difference in performance. ICON does make a great product there is no doubt about that. What I do not agree with is telling people that running strut extensions/leveling kits/spacers (whatever you would like to refer to them as) is not a good idea. There are tons of people that run strut spacers on their vehicles with no issues whatsoever. Sure, a coilover is a much nicer way to level your vehicle but they are not for everyone. Some people are on a budget, have no intentions of using their vehicle off road and have no issues with running a strut extension. Giving somebody another option to lift their vehicle, especially with such a reputable brand like IVD, is perfectly fine but telling them that another product being suggested is wrong in every way possible is not okay. We would never tell a customer of ours to NOT run a product that you recommended. I just gave him a simple, affordable option in regards to lifting his truck enough to clear 35's, as did you. Two different products, two different price points, two different worlds but please do not bash the products that we make or suggest. To the OP: ICON does make a great product and if you did want to spend the money on their coilovers I can say from my past experience, customers were typically very satisfied with their products. Especially a stage 6 kit which is their top of the line setup. Best of luck to you whichever route you decide to go with. -- Sean

#6 ·
You could do a Stage 1 or 2, and drop the price a decent chunk.

2007-2014 Tundra Suspension System - Stage 2

I don't sell any Spacer lifts. Another option would be a Bilstein 5100 as soon as they come off backorder. Which would get you about 2.5" of lift. But too clear a 35" the 3" really helps cut down on the trimming needed.

#10 ·
It comes with the yellow and blue 'factory' coilovers. They're the design which welds the 'stilt' to the body of the shock, instead of the new 5100's design which has the shaft machined for more surface area to weld to. This old design will collapse if using a spacer lift.

This is what it looks like off the factory line
Bilstein 5100 by bamufflers, on Flickr

here's the other side after going down a Big Bear CA fire road at a very modest speed and driving style

And here is the solution

in stock ready to ship.

I have an email from someone on this thread. I was supposed to get back to you to see if I can sell just the fronts, I wasn't able to check on that but will first thing Monday>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.