Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

275/65/20 & Leveling Decision

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  havens77 
#1 ·
Well, I am at a crossroads and need some help from the forum to finalize my decision.

I have a '13 CM Platinum with about 25k on it. Tires have cupped like shit, in part because they are Dunlop crap but also from towing a camper and from driving it too hard in my day job. Either way, the tires are still holding up but I would like to go bigger and it would be nice to have something that has better traction than my current shoes running on there. Plus a local tire shop just hired me to do some work for them and its a good oppt. to get a barter in the deal. I should also point out that I tow a 6900 dry weight camper.

My thought was to go with the following setup:

3/1 LRO, the $300 version without new shocks
275/65/20 Cooper Discoverer MAXX

My questions are as follows:

1. The Daystar parts are quite a bit cheaper, so why should I pay more for the LRO?
  2. The Rough Country is cheaper, so why pay more for LRO?
  3. Is there another option I should consider given my setup and what I am towing?
  4. Do I need airbags in the back?
  5. Should I be considering a setup with different shocks instead?
  6. Please confirm that those tires will fit with NO mods necessary. I am adamant about not changing anything on the truck to make them fit?
  7. Is the diff drop a necessity for a 3/1? I see it is not included in other manufacturers but it is with LRO. Why is that?
  8. Are there any other factors I should consider in this decision?

I have been searching and reading a whole lot about this but many of my questions seem to either not be answered or a thread started to answer it and then a few people hijacked them talking about the fact they live down the road from each other, blah blah blah :banghead:. So, got frustrated and figured I would just ask my questions outright.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Tires will fit but u will need the level kit
It's a 34 x 11 tire
So the height is the reason for needing the lift. Width works easily.

If u do a spacer lift stay away from plastic or rubber spacer.
Supreme suspension on eBay has a food lift
So does toytec, procomp, ready lift, LRO

U can do air bags or just upgrade the rear leaf packs. ( skyjacker or OME)

Of you are 4wd diff drop is needed.

For a lil more money u can get a very nice ride and beef up the suspension with no negative geometry change in your front suspension parts
Look up "old man emu"
It's a shock & coil up front and a full leaf pack in rear with new rear shocks

Good luck and keep asking questions on here
Lots of good people willing to help

#3 ·
Thanks CD. I actually had old man emu on my land rover discovery a few years ago and was happy. coil spring swap. If not for the camper, I would just do the LRO and call it a day, but just couldn't figure out if the tongue weight would be such that an air bag was necessary to make up for the loss of the rake from the stock setup. I just don't want to be popping a wheelie down the highway. My storage on my camper is in the belly so while I try to load more stuff in the back over the axle, it still seems challenging to keep it to a minimum since almost all the exterior storage back there is in that front pass through.

I will check out the Emu...and thanks for the feedback. Great forum and I always appreciate the help of those who are more knowledgeable than me at these things.

#4 ·
Okay, no offense to CD for a great and informative response but was sure hoping to get more users to pipe in on this. My goal was to see a variety of opinions and then discount all of them to do what I want:D

#6 ·
Yes, and a sway control bar. You are absolutely right...she is a heavy one but it tows it nicely. No problems with sway, no issue with power either. And as long as I put more of our stuff in the middle of the camper the tongue weight isn't too bad. It squats some but not terrible. I towed this thing with a Tahoe before and that was definitely too much for that truck.

#7 ·
Well, suppose that I am slack on the response here but wanted to post up that I put a set of 275/60/20 BFG KO2's on there a few weeks ago. Basically the day they hit the showroom floor. Love them! Great compromise size requiring no lifting or leveling. I may eventually put the OME setup under there but these tires look great and ride even better. This particular size comes in a Load Range D too, so they are softer and quieter than traditional BFG KO's.

Will post up pics when I get time.

#8 ·
I have been running the LRO 3/1 for 2.5 years now with a 275/65/20 BFGAT on factory 20s.

I like the quality of the LRO spacer machining & finish in the front. Also liked that it came with a drop kit for the front differential. I've towed heavy and the front makes no difference. If you can find a spacer thats as quality built as the LRO and you don't have to buy the rear blocks do it.

The rear blocks are crap -they make the rear end stiff and unpleasant. Skip this and purchase Coachbuilder shackles.

I have airbags as well, but I bought them to aid in my towing not to aid in lifting. The bags work great, I rarely use them unless I'm towing something over 6000-7000lbs.

The best thing I ever did was install E Rated tires - they help tremendously for towing. With your heavy camper I wouldn't hesitate to purchase E rated tires.

Last thing is if I had to do it over again I'd install a coilover lift in the front and the CB shackles. At the time I didn't have the $$$ to do so. These days I do, however there's nothing wrong with the ride quality or abilities of the truck with the LRO spacer in there. I might just change it for the sake of doing something different. Patiently waiting the TRDPro suspension to come out.

#9 ·
I just started really posting on TT a couple months ago so I never saw your original post. I have a 3/1.5 Rough country lift and have run both 275/65 and 275/60 Nitto Terra grapplers on the factory Platinum 20's. Had to trim the skid plate and still get a little skid plate (I think) contact when at near- to full-lock and on any kind of slope

Sounds like a good setup you have as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.