Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Will she notice the OME 614 on the truck?

Will she notice?

4K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Spankdog 
#1 · (Edited)
Well tomorrow the OME614 with coachbuilder 3+ shackles goes on the truck. I will be keeping the stock tires on aftermarket wheels until Thursday or Friday.My wife is not a car person by any means and really does not ride in the truck that much. My question is do you think she will even notice it?

#2 ·
Just take a shower when finished, and make sure there is no lipstick anywhere strange. She won't notice.

Reactions: Dragos28
#4 ·
Is the truck anywhere close to her path from the car to the kitchen?

#5 ·
You're done, but I agree it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Reactions: Dragos28
#10 ·
This is why we keep personal accounts that are separate from the joint pot. With all the bullshit mine likes to spend a lot of money on that she expects me not to question, I would lose my mind even worse than I already do if after all that I had to sit here sweating how she would react to a mod for the truck.

#12 ·
What Dragos said sounds reasonable.

#14 ·
Honestly though man, if you have to hide shit then you already have problems. If you both work and you aren't taking money away from "needs" then what is the issue? Does she clear all her purchases with you?

#16 ·
I hate to beat a dead horse, but if you have to go to these lengths to hide this shit, you got bigger problems than her possibly noticing your truck. I have no doubt that in the time you two have been together, she has wanted some dumb shit along the way. Shoes, a purse, some retarded expensive wallet. If this is your passion and what makes you happy, then you should be able to spend your hard earned money on what you want. With my girl, (we aren't married yet) I told her I wouldn't make any major changes to the truck prior to getting her a ring. She said that was fair and once I get her the ring, I can basically do what I want with suspension to a certain extent. I will be going the same route you did with the OME and coachbuilder gear, and damn, if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want to notice. Why try and hide it? Good luck with it and if all else fails, @Dragos28 is definitely on to something.

#18 ·
Ha! If you think she will notice then you are giving women more credit than is due, they NEVER notice that kinda shit, and even if you ask her what she thinks after you do do it, she'll say something snarky like 'why did you waste your money, it doesnt even look any different', or 'the tires look really black and shiny'
They just dont care!

Reactions: atl1glf
#20 ·
You and I think the exact same way. I really don't think she will notice. If it were a 6" lift she would notice but the OME at what 3.5 at most I don't think so. As for your quotes, that about what I expect to hear.
She drives a 4 cyl. Toyota Camry. I begged and pleaded for get her to the 6 instead of the 4. She asked me, "Will the 4 cyl do 70MPH?" I said, "Yes" She says, "Why do I need the 6 cyl then." End of discussion, we got the 4. Thing is a damn dog. Got beat by a damn Honda Element off a red light where 4 lanes go to 2 about 1/4 a mile after the light. To be fair to the Camry, I had no idea the Element was gonna punch it off the line and try and beat me but he did. I was in the lane that was ending so I had to either beat him good or be a dick and cut him off and I was not gonna beat him or cut him off.

#21 ·
But to answer your question, no, I don't think she'll notice. Tires and wheels is what gets attention. Just the truck being 3" higher shouldn't hit her radar if she isn't a car/truck girl. Just keep her distracted until your tires are on. Do something sweet or nice for her and she wont notice your truck. Unless you're normally a dick. Then it might just make her suspicious. lol.

#23 ·
If she doesn't like it, she can walk.

Reactions: Unclassified
#30 ·
Either y'all are doing it wrong or I just got really fuggin lucky! My wife is a damn good cook, she cleans, has awesome parents/family and wants me to lift my truck. Hell I even think she gets more excided when when I get parts in than I do. When i picked up my 35's Saturday she took a pic of em in the back of my truck and posted it on her Facebook before we even left the parking lot! But maybe it's because I built her a pretty bad ass Tacoma that gets her a lot of attention and she loves to drive it like she stole both on and off road. I reckon she knows what it's like to have a nicely built rig and wants the same for me.

#33 ·
Yep. That sounds like mine. I put a Toytec Boss kit on her 4Runner and now she's talking shit about my stock Tundra. lol

#31 ·
I will say...mine has a jeep wrangler, stick shift. She loves that thing and I just put BFG AT's on it a few months back that I got from a friend. They were practically brand new and he was lifting his jeep. She likes how they look on there and actually wants 33's or 35's on it! We were talking about different stuff I had thought about for my truck, flowmasters, leveling kit, tires, etc... and her response "I am not a fan of loud exhaust, but I really like those aggressive looking tires and those would look good on there!"

My only problem now...we are saving for a wedding next fall, and I don't make enough money to pay for gas with running 33's and 35's right now.

#34 ·
I switched from the 18" steel styled wheels to trd22's and it took a month before my wife noticed and that was because I washed it.

The only thing she recognized was the gps/steer and exhaust

#37 ·
Well, 24 of you were wrong. She never noticed. I got the lift on Tuesday and it sat in the drive with the tiny stock tires, as she came in and out on Wednesday and Thursday. Never a word. She even rode in it still nothing. On Thursday afternoon after work I took it to discount tire and got some bigger Goodyear duratracs put on. She knew about the tires and told her she was going to have trouble getting in and out because they were bigger. They are bigger but not by much. I went from 275/65/18 to 275/70/18. I knew she wouldn't notice but damn to me that thing is a beast now. If you want to see pictures of before and after I have a build log that I just put up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.