Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

NEW Bilstein 5100's - collapse issue fixed

22K views 75 replies 30 participants last post by  MillsTRD14 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a new pair of 5100's this week. They have a new build that resolves the issues of them collapsing. Coachbuilder confirmed with bilstein they are machining the shaft rather than welding it. The outer shock housing is then welded, no word on if the snap ring is different. I thought some folks may like to know! The new silver look is awesome compared to the blue/yellow.

Edit: I forgot to mention the new shock change gains an additional 1/4" lift.

Part #'s
24-186964 fits '07 - '13 Tundra
24-232173 fits '07 - '14 Tundra

#7 ·
Just looked up the part number for my 11 and auto anything says discontinued???

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#10 ·
Negative. I've been running them on my 2012 RW for over a year with the stock Billy 4600's in the rear.

#14 ·
If I already bought the old model, I would really be pissed. This new design seems to be their own admission of a defect. I wonder this new model has been adequately tested.

#16 ·
I am running the follwoing

2014 CMAX
Bilstiein 5100's highest setting front
Bilstiein 5100's rear
SPC Adjustable UCA's
CoachBuilder 1/4" Front Shim
CoachBuilder 3" Shacklers
18" x 9" Ballastic Anvil +18 Offset
295/70/18 Toyo ATII Extremes

I had to remove the mudflaps in the front fender well, both the front and rear. The front I had to drill a couple new holes and push the liner as far forward as possible. Removing 2 bolts and 2 screws. I then had to heat the bottom 1" lip of the front liner and push it in to gain an overall 1/2"

If trimmed the rear flaps on the inner most section they wouldn't rub and I could put them back on.

#21 ·
Man... What an awesome job you did. This is what I want for sure. It looks perfect in my opinion. Only thing I'm going to change is 20" rims wrapped in 295/60's. Other than that, the rake looks right on to me.

Job well done!

I have a question, how do I get the coach builder shackles? Just message coach builder on the forums here? Also, does the 3+ give you 3"? And if I'm not mistaken, the shim if a strut shim for an extra 1/4" front lift on top of the 2.56" bilstein lift right?

#19 ·
Snap ring still there on new 5100. So what is new about the new 5100 other then maybe a little more lift on highest setting??
I have had mine on for 5 years on the crew at highest setting and no issues. One of the rears has the film and oil leak that is supposedly normal. The bounce is the same.
Issue with instal was what I believe a problem on especially early snap ring failure, like installing the ring upside down. That ring has t sit perfectly or issues can occur.

#26 ·
#29 ·
Mike, how is the ride with the 5100s? Is it sensitive to every small bump in town? How does it compare to factory?

#30 ·
hula, the ride is more stiff. The UCA's I think change the feel over bumps too. I drove 200 miles without them.

Overall it is very tolerable but surely not as smooth as stock. Stock was soft and road like Cadillac. The biggest way to notice the difference is railroad tracks. The rear tends to do a stiff shake bounce over them.

I can't imagine towing my travel trailer without the shocks and shackles in the rear. Truck sags a bit and bounces on good dips and I have a low tongue weight. Timbrens or air bags would make it perfect

#31 ·
So the 200 miles without the UCA's compared to when you added them , more stiff once they were installed? Or loosened up a little?

Is the sagging and bouncing you mention not happen in stock suspension?

I'm concerned after hearing your ride impressions. Kind of nervous I guess that I would be disappointed with a harsh ride compared to stock.

Perhaps if all I'm looking for is a ride height adjustment then maybe I should go with a ready lift 3/2 or something?

#41 ·
My friend works on a ranch (in their shop, doing all the work on their fleet trucks). Pretty much all of their trucks were running 5100's, and a few had failures, bent stems, one shock actually blew a hole through the body. They are pretty tough on the trucks also however. Since the 5100's were on back order when he had to replace one of the failed sets, he decided to try the ProComp Pro Runner set up instead, and he said they like it much better.

#38 ·
Hi all. I have a '14 CM LIMITED 4x4. I put on 5100's front only (stock rear) abiut 6 k miles ago and kept the stock 20 wheels and 275/65/20's terra grapplers. We live in California (Pismo). So we spend a lot of time at the dunes. My truck isn't the biggest or loudest at the dunes by far. And you know the diesel 3/4 ton crowd can get a little mean abiut us 1/2 tonners. But even those fellas have approached me to compliment my truck. That says a lot. It's sits strong. Not showey. It floats on the dunes when others sink. The ride of 5100's are just great and I'm really pleased. I'm not all that mechanical, so don't know if I have the first made 5100 or the last made, but they are shiney, no leaks, and my truck runs solid. I'd pull the trigger on them again in a second. They get my vote. I was a guy debating between 3/1 level or these 5100's. And top setting 5100 was my choice. And I'm really happy I chose this route

#50 ·
According to Bilstein engineer they are providing a touch more height because of the thickness of the "cup" that is welded to the lower portion of the strut body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.