BulletProof 12" Lift Leveling Question - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Member
 
EwreckedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 20
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BulletProof 12" Lift Leveling Question

So I am a bit curious.. I've seen several pictures of people with the BP Lift on their tundra and the rear end sits lower than the front of the truck. Other pics the truck looks leveled out. I've also read about putting 2-3" blocks under the rear so that you can max the front end out and still level. Is this what's going on here? Are those trucks I'm seeing with the rear dropped because they have the front end maxed out at 12" and it just won't sit level? Is it because they don't have the atlas leaf springs in the rear? Does this kit need blocks to maximize the lift?

I know..lot's of questions to be answered. Any insight would help.. I'm having my BP lift installed tomorrow and I mentioned it to the shop, they said they will crank down the front and level out the truck. I mentioned blocking the rear instead, and they said it wasn't necessary. I just figure if you pay all the money for a 12" lift, it should be a 12" lift - nothing less.

Opinions? Experiences? Knowledge? Please, and thanks.

Oh, and I'm doing the stage 2 with the Fox Shocks and coilovers.. not sure if that makes a difference.
EwreckedG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Coachbuilder1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 4,033
Thanks: 3,153
Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,869 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
** Pulled from BP site **

Our Bulletproof kit features a one piece lift cage, Fabricated spindle uprights w/ aircraft grade Chromoly Heim outer steering, Heavy duty coil over spacers, Atlas rear Leaf springs (quoted separately - no blocks or shackle extensions on our kit), differential drop brackets (4WD), sway bar drops, sway bar links, Standard Uni-Ball A-arms and a complete instructions booklet with photos and hardware kit labeled for each step of the installation.

Two shocks are required for the rear and we offer Standard Shocks, Fox Racing Shox or Bilstien Shocks as options.

Items required:
Bulletproof Kit
Atlas Leaf Springs
Rear standard shocks

Kit includes:
Impact bars
Braided stainless steel brake lines
Tie rod extensions
Sway bar drop downs
Sway bar links
Drive line spacer
Rear shock clevis
Uni-ball a-arms
Chromoly steel heavy duty heims
Complete hardware kit **


The standard BP lift only covers the front suspension, and uses struts spacers, so by using Fox coilovers you'll have the ability to achieve 12" up front. But will still only have the Fox rear shocks. Thats where the atlas leaf springs come in... The new Atlas leaf springs are good for 7" of additional height but still come up short. Most installers just throw in a set of tapered blocks 2"-4" depending on the height up front. I've supplied more than a dozen guys running the Atlas rear leafs with my +3" shackles and have averaged 2" of additional lift. The degree of arch allows more lift than average with my +3" shackles.

How does your installer plan to make up for 9"+ of needed rear lift?

2007 SR5 5.7 Katzkin, LED lighting through out, LED door handles, Color Matched handles & grill surround, CST 3.5" Spindles OME 614 Full Suspension, Coachbuilder +3" Shackles by Ekstrom Design, BHLM,35"/12.5"/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,BMF SOTA death metal black finish 20"x10" -19 offset.
Ekstrom Design LLC. "Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing" 801.635.4872 ekstrom_design@yahoo.com

Last edited by Coachbuilder1; 12-16-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Coachbuilder1 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coachbuilder1 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-16-2012), Big Tundra (12-16-2012), EwreckedG (12-16-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Member
 
EwreckedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 20
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachbuilder1 View Post
** Pulled from BP site **

Our Bulletproof kit features a one piece lift cage, Fabricated spindle uprights w/ aircraft grade Chromoly Heim outer steering, Heavy duty coil over spacers, Atlas rear Leaf springs (quoted separately - no blocks or shackle extensions on our kit), differential drop brackets (4WD), sway bar drops, sway bar links, Standard Uni-Ball A-arms and a complete instructions booklet with photos and hardware kit labeled for each step of the installation.

Two shocks are required for the rear and we offer Standard Shocks, Fox Racing Shox or Bilstien Shocks as options.

Items required:
Bulletproof Kit
Atlas Leaf Springs
Rear standard shocks

Kit includes:
Impact bars
Braided stainless steel brake lines
Tie rod extensions
Sway bar drop downs
Sway bar links
Drive line spacer
Rear shock clevis
Uni-ball a-arms
Chromoly steel heavy duty heims
Complete hardware kit **


The standard BP lift only covers the front suspension, and uses struts spacers, so by using Fox coilovers you'll have the ability to achieve 12" up front. But will still only have the Fox rear shocks. Thats where the atlas leaf springs come in... The new Atlas leaf springs are good for 7" of additional height but still come up short. Most installers just throw in a set of tapered blocks 2"-4" depending on the height up front. I've supplied more than a dozen guys running the Atlas rear leafs with my +3" shackles and have averaged 2" of additional lift. The degree of arch allows more lift than average with my +3" shackles.

How does your installer plan to make up for 9"+ of needed rear lift?
That's a great question and I'm glad you asked! I'm doing the atlas obviously.. Their answer for making it level was to crank down the front. So I guess I can either sit 10" up after the install and if I get bored with that I can go bigger, or I can go big from the get go. Right? They've installed a couple BP lifts, including on one of their personal trucks. I'm sure they'll make it right, but I'm just not sure HOW familiar they are with this kit beyond that. I mean, there's a lot if extra options out there, your shackles for example. And I doubt they frequent these forums so they wouldn't know. I'm just trying to educate myself so if I'm not 100% satisfied after the install, I know how to resolve it.

It defeats the purpose of paying for the extra lift up front if they crank it down to level with the rear.

I will definitely bring it up with them again tomorrow and I will keep you in mind. And thank you for the feedback.. It makes more sense now.

Just curious, how would the ride differ with the front cranked down to level versus lifting the rear to level? Much stiffer, better or worse ride? Any idea?

Last edited by EwreckedG; 12-16-2012 at 09:39 PM.
EwreckedG is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned
Premium Member
 
Bad Dad's Camrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the spiral...
Posts: 21,311
Thanks: 17,937
Thanked 35,824 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
The more you crank it, the stiffer it gets












In other words, the more you compress the coil, the more of a brick ride you're gonna get. The more you compress it, the less your coil will compress, cuz you already have it compressed.

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 12-16-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Bad Dad's Camrys is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
XxTundra1xX (12-17-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Member
 
EwreckedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 20
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
The more you crank it, the stiffer it gets












In other words, the more you compress the coil, the more of a brick ride you're gonna get. The more you compress it, the less your coil will compress, cuz you already have it compressed.
.

And after the lift is installed and complete, how difficult would it be to add coach's shackles and decompress the front end?
EwreckedG is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned
Premium Member
 
Bad Dad's Camrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the spiral...
Posts: 21,311
Thanks: 17,937
Thanked 35,824 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
The shackles are easy to install....well, with that much lift, it might be a pita to do in your driveway, might be easier on a lift. As far as adjusting the front coilovers, most of them come with a tool to adjust them. Just take the load off of it, and adjust.
Bad Dad's Camrys is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member
 
JOSH 5.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: IN/FL
Posts: 12,118
Thanks: 16,388
Thanked 20,671 Times in 7,547 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
If you run 12" lift in the front you'll need a 4" rear black to make it leveled. Banger did this and it leveled his truck perfectly.


"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

https://www.facebook.com/Bigblacktundra
BTCM46
TWACCM113
JOSH 5.7 is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM
"BHLM Master"
Premium Member
 
Big Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Clearwater, Florida/ Greeneville TN- FETC member #3, Sept./Nov./Dec.2011 TOTM/Big Rig Club#11
Posts: 3,764
Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,943 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Erik- I had the Fox coilovers cranked to the 12" max on the front of my Titan. And Sam is right- the ride was worse then your stiffest **** on your first date, lol! I went with the atlas springs out back, fox resis and 4 inch SS blocks to bring it to level



You might PM DR006DR(ROB), A member on here, he has built many suspensions, especially BP12" Lifts

BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER# 11 Bulletproof 12" Club#1

Bulletproof 12"lift./3"Body Lift
Coachbuilders- 3"Shackles, Poly bushings
1.5' Wheel spacers
20X12 Octanes
40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers
BHLM/ BTLM
Bushwacher Flares
Shocker XL 240 Train Horns
Amp Research Steps
Custom BTE headlights
Alwayslooking F/R Bumpers
50"/ 3-20" Rigid Lightbars
RBP Series II Grille
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/ RBP 18"Black tips
Colormatched Royal Topper
ICON Shifter
Interior Blue LED's
Bedrug
4:88 Nitro's F/R

Last edited by Big Tundra; 12-17-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Big Tundra is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Member
 
EwreckedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 20
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tundra View Post
Erik- I had the Fox coilovers cranked to the 12" max on the front of my Titan. And Sam is right- the ride was worse then your stiffest **** on your first date, lol! I went with the atlas springs out back, fox resis and 4 inch SS blocks to bring it to level



You might PM DR006DR(ROB), A member on here, he has built many suspensions, especially BP12" Lifts
Good info.. I'm gonna let them finish the build, and then decide which way to go. If it looks good and rides right, then I'm just gonna go with it.. If I feel that the suspension is too mushy, or too stiff then I'll do something about it. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that I'll get it and love it..and just know that if I ever want to go taller and stretch the front and lift the rear then I know I have a couple more inches to play with.

EDIT:
And I sent a PM to DR006DR just for his feedback and advice. Thanks Joe

Last edited by EwreckedG; 12-17-2012 at 11:58 AM.
EwreckedG is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EwreckedG For This Useful Post:
Big Tundra (12-17-2012), Coachbuilder1 (12-17-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So if I want it to set the height at 10" level my front coil would be cranked down and my rear on atlas Leaf springs and fox coil maxed out?..assuming I don't add blocks/shackles..sorry for the noob question
Hiphopvenom is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Senior Member
 
drivensite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 405
Thanks: 214
Thanked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My good friend just built his crewmax last week with the Bulletproof lift. Just like it's stated above, you'll need a block or shackle in back to level the truck if you want to take advantage of the coilovers and set the lift at 12". My friend used shackles to get an additional 2" lift in the back to match the 12" in the front. He's also running the Fox coilovers in front and Fox resivoirs in back.


2007 Tundra crewmax. Lowered 2/4.5" with Belltech struts and Tundra Racing flip kit. 26" Lexani LX7 with 305/30/26 Pirelli tires. Color matched Paramount grille, door handles, side mirrors, rear bumper, and tailgate handle. Phillips 6000k HID kits in headlights and foglights. V-Leds interior and exterior. Hella celis tail lights. Flowmaster Super44 dual in/out exhaust. Upgraded the JBL stereo with a few things and added a bunch of sound deadening.
drivensite is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Member
 
EwreckedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 20
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So got the truck back today with the lift installed.. They did a great job, as far as I can tell. Will post pics later. BUT! Just as I expected..the rear sits lower than the front. My question is, if I block or shackle the rear will I need to get it aligned again? I wouldn't think so..but just checking. Maybe Coachbuilder can tell me. Anyhow, the lift is sick. Got the illuminated Amp steps, gonna get exhaust done tomorrow morning. Ill try to get some pics up tomorrow.
EwreckedG is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to EwreckedG For This Useful Post:
Coachbuilder1 (12-19-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Coachbuilder1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 4,033
Thanks: 3,153
Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,869 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EwreckedG View Post
So got the truck back today with the lift installed.. They did a great job, as far as I can tell. Will post pics later. BUT! Just as I expected..the rear sits lower than the front. My question is, if I block or shackle the rear will I need to get it aligned again? I wouldn't think so..but just checking. Maybe Coachbuilder can tell me. Anyhow, the lift is sick. Got the illuminated Amp steps, gonna get exhaust done tomorrow morning. Ill try to get some pics up tomorrow.
Glad it turned out for ya!

No alignment needed with any work done in the rear. Let me know if you need any larger shackles Looking forward to your pics.

2007 SR5 5.7 Katzkin, LED lighting through out, LED door handles, Color Matched handles & grill surround, CST 3.5" Spindles OME 614 Full Suspension, Coachbuilder +3" Shackles by Ekstrom Design, BHLM,35"/12.5"/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,BMF SOTA death metal black finish 20"x10" -19 offset.
Ekstrom Design LLC. "Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing" 801.635.4872 ekstrom_design@yahoo.com
Coachbuilder1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Coachbuilder1 For This Useful Post:
EwreckedG (12-19-2012)
#14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Member
 
EwreckedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
Thanks: 20
Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachbuilder1 View Post
Glad it turned out for ya!

No alignment needed with any work done in the rear. Let me know if you need any larger shackles Looking forward to your pics.
Ill be getting some from you. Ill post up some pics tomorrow and can you tell me what size I should go with? How quickly can you get them to me? Also, my 38x15.5s rub when the wheel is at full lock. A body shop should be able to trim the bumper or move it forward a couple inches eh?
EwreckedG is offline  
#15 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
"BHLM Master"
Premium Member
 
Big Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Clearwater, Florida/ Greeneville TN- FETC member #3, Sept./Nov./Dec.2011 TOTM/Big Rig Club#11
Posts: 3,764
Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 3,561 Times in 1,943 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You probably have a narley minus offset like me( -44)20x12 Fuel Octane- I'm only running 13.50's though and i rubbed the body mount. I cut mine with a sawzall and had my local truck guys wrap a piece of steel around the body mount and weld it in place. Looks better then a jagged piece of metal. Hard to believe ya still rub with the big bad BP 12" up front


BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER# 11 Bulletproof 12" Club#1

Bulletproof 12"lift./3"Body Lift
Coachbuilders- 3"Shackles, Poly bushings
1.5' Wheel spacers
20X12 Octanes
40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers
BHLM/ BTLM
Bushwacher Flares
Shocker XL 240 Train Horns
Amp Research Steps
Custom BTE headlights
Alwayslooking F/R Bumpers
50"/ 3-20" Rigid Lightbars
RBP Series II Grille
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust/ RBP 18"Black tips
Colormatched Royal Topper
ICON Shifter
Interior Blue LED's
Bedrug
4:88 Nitro's F/R
Big Tundra is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tundra For This Useful Post:
Coachbuilder1 (12-20-2012)
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome