User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
coilover questions

Ok i am sure I will beaten senseless after I ask this question, but I am new tundra owner (came from the dodge cummins side) so please cut me some slack
I just purchased 2010 crewmax 4x4 5.7, and I am wanting to lift/level the truck out but am a little confused on the exact (best way) to do it. I drive alot of miles on the road but I also definitly do not want to be scared to go off the beating trail. (expedition style). I was looking at the camburg coil overs for the front with there UCA (utilizing stock ball joint). but I have read a few ppl having problems with them (leaking, cluncking, power steering issues), I have also read that the KINGs OEM stuff was good but pricey! then there is ICON but holy cow they have a lot of options as well.

what with all the expierence and knowledge on this forum what are ya'lls suggestions.

i would like to run as close to a 35" tire as possible (35/12.5/18), but I also would like it to be very reliable.

any help in this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys and gals and I look forward to sharing any info I may have in the future with ya'll

2010 crewmax 4x4, dnx9990hd,undercover tool boxes, kleinn train horns, viair onboard air, king oem coils overs, camburg UCA's, coach 3" hd shackles, 295/70/17 nitto trail, nfad rsp bumper, rigid lighting, onboard cameras and DVR system, gps tracker all thanks to TRex customz
next will be an adult sized water cannon out of the back tailgate

Last edited by Trexcustomz; 12-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 23,126 Times in 7,440 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Are you looking to change the just the front or the rear too?

#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
the full deal! Front and back would be great.
and maybe coil-overs isnt what I need, but I am thinking it rides the best and has the best performance, over your traditional "lift kit"

2010 crewmax 4x4, dnx9990hd,undercover tool boxes, kleinn train horns, viair onboard air, king oem coils overs, camburg UCA's, coach 3" hd shackles, 295/70/17 nitto trail, nfad rsp bumper, rigid lighting, onboard cameras and DVR system, gps tracker all thanks to TRex customz
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM

(Thread Starter)
I should probably mention that I do plan on installed a pre-runner bumper of some sort as well down the road, so Im not sure of the weight of it but there will be some added weight to the front end.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can't go wrong with Kings or Icons both are great Kings get the slight edge since they are easier to rebuild and fix in the event of a problem but both are very solid. Hit up my buddy Depised on here or PM me and I will get you his contact info he gets great prices from King and will safe you a grip of $$

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

F*ck the IRS screwing up my Long Travel Plans. I love how they try to Indian Give on a waiver they approved three years later.

http://www.facebook.com/projecthoneybadger
Instagram @ProjectHoneyBadger

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveB702 For This Useful Post:
Trexcustomz (12-11-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 23,126 Times in 7,440 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
You definitely want coilovers over a spacer lift and with the shitty retainer clip on bilsteins, I'd stay away from them for offroading.
If you don't want to spend a lot, check out OME.
If money is not a problem, then Icon or King.
If I had to do it again, I wished I would have saved up a few more bucks and tried King. My Icons are noisy.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
its starting to sound like the kings are the way to go! now the big question is just the king OEM setup or is there something else? will i need UCA's still? how about any extra leafs of what for the rear. as I might pull something later down the road. or do I just invest in ride rite air bags for the rear?

Thank you guys again for all the suggestions!!

#8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 31,783 Times in 13,606 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Send Bjowett a pm

I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCv2.0 View Post
Send Bjowett a pm

He will empty your wallet faster than a Vegas callgirl. From Brian, I got the following to make it kinda like what you're going for.

arb rear locker
arb air compressor (heavy duty)
king coilovers front and back

From coachbuilder, I got:

3" shackles
The Following User Says Thank You to kangaroo For This Useful Post:
JCv2.0 (12-10-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM

(Thread Starter)
Kangaroo,
I am not sure if I need my wallet cleaned at this particular moment but i guess I would rather get truck parts instead of just the credit card bills my wife brings me.

That does sound very similiar to what I am looking for! I will probably hold off on the locker for a bit.
I have talked to "coachbuilder" already about his fab work and what he offers.

my question to you is do you have any pictures that you can send me of your rig , I am a very visual person. what size wheel and tire combo are you runnin'.
thanks for taking the time sir!

are you running any UCA's and what are the benefits to adding those to the setup, or are there any. I hear they help with alighnment issues but I also do not see to many ppl opting for them so it must no be that big of a deal.

#11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Only the front coilovers are on. No pics. The shackles are on their way. Once I get them, I'll install it with the rear Kings. I am still on the trd 18" rims but a size up to 275/70/18 BFG allterrains. Eventually will get the 35s sometime next year. The coilovers lifted the front abut 2.75"

I took the front sway bar off and I like the way it handles without it. No UCA needed and the alignment came out perfect.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 PM

(Thread Starter)
damn I am so confussed now!! take the front sway bar off? what is the reasoning of that? (not questioning just trying to learn a little)

#13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM

It lets the wheels move independently. More articulation, the truck leans and leans but feels more planted with the coilovers.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
Im not sure I would like that feel on the road, but offroad i agree, do they make quick disconnects for the swaybarson the tundra?

#15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
" Brokeback Breaker"
Premium Member

Thanked 8,317 Times in 4,267 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Garage
You should look into the setup I am running: OME 3" coils, OME extended length rear shocks and CB +3 shackles. You can do it all for about $1000-1100. Ride quality is excellent and off-road ability is also excellent.

AZTC #1 | BRC #77 |SSC #3
Smittybilt M1 Front & Rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XRC10 Winch, OME 612 w/ ½ in Spacer, CB +3 Shackles, CB Poly Bushings, OME Extended Rear Shocks, LR UCA’s,
Firestone Airbags w/ On-board Compressor, +35 Ballistic Wizards, 295/70/18 Trail Grapplers, BAMuffler, Clazzios, Grillcraft MX Grille, N-Fab Steps, Dashcam
My Build Thread

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk