LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pro Comp 4" or Stage 1 6"

I can't seem to decide which way I want to go? I drive 60 miles a day highway and looking for the lifted look with basically no real offroading. Plus it's a 2wd not a 4wd. Here is the current set up and then what i will be upgrading too.

Current:
Toytec 3/1
Toyo Open Country AT 33x11.50 20"
Nfab nerf bars

Future:
ProComp 4" or Stage 1 6"
Upgrade front shocks to Pro Runners or ES6000
Fuel Mavericks 20" - already ordered
Toyo Open Country AT 35x12.50
AMP led power boards

What are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Thanked 1,568 Times in 991 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tun1 View Post
I can't seem to decide which way I want to go? I drive 60 miles a day highway and looking for the lifted look with basically no real offroading. Plus it's a 2wd not a 4wd. Here is the current set up and then what i will be upgrading too.

Current:
Toytec 3/1
Toyo Open Country AT 33x11.50 20"
Nfab nerf bars

Future:
ProComp 4" or Stage 1 6"
Upgrade front shocks to Pro Runners or ES6000
Fuel Mavericks 20" - already ordered
Toyo Open Country AT 35x12.50
AMP led power boards

What are your opinions?
if you have a 2wd, look into CST spindles and stack it with what you have. itll be a cheaper way to go and will give you and additional 3". check out bad dad's tundra and sngo's truck.

2012 Tundra CrewMax RockWarrior 4x4.Zone Lift.Camburg Uni-Ball UCA. MethodSplit6 325/60/20.Dual DynoMax VT Mufflers w/Gibson Turndowns.Clazzio.NFab.
Build: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...tml#post687660

Future mods: Icon 6-7" Front Coilovers, Atlas 4" leaf pack, sequoia sway bar/skyjacker sway links
The Following User Says Thank You to pngo121 For This Useful Post:
Tun1 (12-08-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 AM

Thanked 1,697 Times in 954 Posts
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
What he said ^^. I would go with the 6" by price comparison alone, but if your worried about gas mileage which it will go down with either lift, more so on the 6, go with the 4. If paying for gas isn't an issue then again I say go for the 6 either thru spacer + cst spindles, or comp 6

CAMBURG COIL OVERS, DEVER 5 LEAF + 3" BLOCK, 20" RBP 96R WRAPPED IN 34" BFG KO, PUTCO FRONT WIND DEFLECTORS, MGHLM, DISCONTINUED SHIFT KNOB, TRD CAI, TOW MIRRORS, DEBADGED, DIPPED BUMPERS,ORACLE COLOR SHIFT HALOS, WEATHER TECH DIGIFIT FLOOR LINERS, GOPRO SILVER EDITION DASH CAM
POTOOWA MEMBER #2
The Following User Says Thank You to serberus For This Useful Post:
Tun1 (12-08-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngo121 View Post
if you have a 2wd, look into CST spindles and stack it with what you have. itll be a cheaper way to go and will give you and additional 3". check out bad dad's tundra and sngo's truck.
according to CST website, they have 3.5 or 5.5 spindles? I guess the only real difference between the pro comp kits and just adding spindles and blocks is purely cosmetic with the pro comp as far as the cross members, bump stops, etc? What reccomendation do you have as far as replacing the factory shocks or do you suggest leaving factory shocks on it? Thanks
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,824 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
I'm not aware of any 5.5" spindles by CST, unless it's something new...unless you are talking about the CST spindles with a 2" spacer

With the CST, you can keep your factory front shocks, and your 3" front level, which will give you 6.5" lift up front. (you will maintain your 3" lift, and the CST spindle will lower your wheel hubs 3.5"). The procomp achieves about the same amount of lift, except using different different parts and methods, and it will reduce your clearance up front (not really a big deal since you don't offroad). I'm a fan of the CST look from the front, because there isn't a big bracket sitting under there...just my opinion, and of course, because I have them

Procomp 6" Stage 1 lifts drop your lower arms with brackets, and uses a spacer to take up the extra space between the top of your strut and the frame, as well as adding a little bit of lift with it. I can't remember for sure, but I think the PC 6" stage 1 lifts are around $2000-2500 or so, and come complete with everything you need, front and rear.

If you go the CST route (~$850 for the CST spindles), all you'll need to do is get some lift and shocks in back. The cheapest route would be to order some blocks, (I'd go with a 4" block for 6.5" lift up front) with ubolts, shouldn't set you back more than $130 or so. As for shocks, you can get a new pair for around $200 or so. You'll need a carrier bearing drop bracket, to get your drive shaft angle corrected, that's only $80. So, you're talking around $1300 +/- to get a 6.5" lift, and keeping the 3" spacers that you already paid for. (which is exactly what I did). You'll also pay a lot less in labor to install the CST spindles vs. the PC, unless you do it on your own, which is free. Seems like a PC lift might take a full day, at a shop, whereas a CST spindle, blocks and shocks in the rear might be about a 5-6 hour job.

Back on topic... Pro comp 4" vs. 6" lift. If those are the only 2 lifts you are considering, the procomp 4" lift would be ridiculous to install on a 2wd. 4x4 guys are buying that kit so they don't have to cut their cross members, like the PC 6", and any other 6" lift requires. As far as I know, there is no cutting of the cross members for a PC 6" lift to be installed on a 2wd truck. So, Pro Comp 6" wins for you, because the 4" would be a helluva waste of money, and you'd be sitting 1" higher than you are now

But, I'd suggest looking into the CST spindles anyway..the things are badass, built like a tank There are also many different configurations you can use, with the CST's. When I bought mine, I ordered some Bilstein 5100's, because I was only wanting around 5.5" of lift or so. Well, the 5100's were on back order, so I canceled that plan, and just re-used my 3" level kit spacers...did more to it later, to get more lift, but that's another topic. Guys are running all kinds of configs with CST: CST + 5100's, CST + level kit spacers, CST + coilovers, CST + OME, etc. Check out coachbuilder1's truck, he has CST +OME, and is sitting at around 7-7.5" lift or so. He says it rides great. That will be my next setup, when $500 falls out of the sky

1 caveat to the CST spindles, which I didn't know until after they were installed. They widen your front track about 1" on each side. Some people don't mind it, but I went ahead and put wheel spacers in back to even it out. This is also something to keep in mind if you want to go with low offset wheels. I have Cranks with 0 offset and 35's (325/65/18). I had to trim my body mount and front bumper to make it all fit when I was at 6.5" lift. I eventually went up to ~8" lift, and had I done it that way first, I might not have had to cut on anything.

Here, check this out:
CST 2007-2012 Toyota Tundra 3.5" Lift Spindle

/A.D.D.

Here is my truck with CST's, and total lift of around 8" up front. Without the extra hardware that comes with those bracket lifts (drop brackets), I think it makes the truck look a little taller when viewing from the front.

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 12-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Tun1 (12-09-2012), Tundra315 (12-14-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Great information Bad Dad! THeonly reason I was leaning towards PC was because i can get it for wholesale price versus retail. 6" would run me around $1600, but at the same time i want to keep all my options open, which my reason to join TT see what everyone is doing. It seems that CST is definitely the leader for lift on a 2wd, just not sure about the rear set up, replacing the front shocks, keep or not keep spacers, etc. It seems like you can go 50 different directions with this stuff and i really don't want to have to get 12 different products to get a lift, but at the same time, i don't want to settle for something that is second best either. I was originally thinking that I wanted to stay around 5" or so, but it seems like 6" or bigger is the way to go just based on the fact that everybody seems to upgrade bigger from their original lift.
I noticed that you had Toyo OP AT instead of MT, i have the AT's now but in a 33" and was planning on going with them in a 35" with the lift, but they are on national backorder from the vendor that i use. DO you feel like the look is still aggressive enough in the 35" ? I was leaning towards them more than MT because i drive about 60 miles a day highway back and forth to work and thought that i would get more miles out of those than the MT.
IT seems as though you've done alot with your lifts, would it be possible that you might supply a list of what you would suggest and where you purchased it from, i think i would like to be in that 6.5" area to start with adn go from there, but I think I would probably change all shocks for sake of trying to capture the best ride possible with all the potential changes.
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned
Premium Member

There's plenty of guys who have used different combinations with the CST spindles, I'm definitely not the only one. Check out the CST spindle lift thread. I've changed my shit so many times it would make you dizzy.

To compare an apple with an apple, lets do this:
Front lift-
Procomp 6" stage 1 vs. CST spindles plus 3" spacer- both use factory front shocks.

Rear lift-
Procomp 6" stage 1 vs. CST spindles plus 3" spacer up front...pc comes with a 3" lift block, and a 1" AAL I think, and shocks. With the CST, you can buy 4" lift blocks for $130, and good shocks (I'm running RCD bilsteins) for under $300.

Blocks are the cheapest way to lift the rear. The advantage to going the CST route, IMO, is that you can lift your rear a la carte, I.e. ditch the blocks, and use other ways to lift the rear, instead of wasting money on them in a "lift in a box" and not wanting to use them. When I say "lift in a box", I'm not bashing those kits, just my way of saying "everything included in the package, whether you need/want it or not".

You can spend a little extra and piece together your rear lift. Initially, I went with coaches +3 shackles and icon expansion pack. I re-used the 1" block from my 3/1. Total rear lift was around 4.5". With 6.5" lift up front and 4.5" lift in back, it gave my truck a hideous looking rake (about 1-1.5"). Instead of pulling out the 1" block, I added another 1.5" lift up front This leveled out my truck, maybe nosehigh about 1/2". I just took out the icon expansion pack and block, and installed the OME leaf springs. The rear lift amount is the same, but now i have no block, and arguably one of the better rear suspension setups available (without getting into high dollar crazy shit). My next move will be to remove my front TRD struts and spacers, and install the OME 614 set-up. It might drop my lift down to 7 or 7.5" lift, but I'm okay with that.

Its been a long time, but here are the approximate prices I paid for my rear setup. The icon expansion pack and RCD shocks came from performancelifts.com, paid around $250 for the icons, and $200 or so for the shocks. Bought the +3 shackles from coachbuilder1 for around $200 or so, can't remember. I just bought the OME leafs for a good deal, $330 shipped, and installed them yesterday. That's a $500-600 delivered leaf spring set normally, so I couldn't pass the deal up.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have bought the CST spindles for $850, and the full OME 614 kit, front and rear, for $1000-1100, and called it a day.

I've never run Toyo tires, but I've run Nitto Trail Grapplers (MT), and now Nitto Terra Grapplers (AT) The MT's do win in the aggressive looking category, but the AT's win in the noise category. I got tired of the hum from the Trail Graps, and am very pleased with my Terra Grapplers so far. A little hum, but not near as obnoxious as the trail graps. I dont off-road, so I don't need either one, but you gotta have some kind of aggressive rubber under a lifted truck, right?

Oh, and $1600 for a PC 6" sounds like a good deal.

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 12-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Oka, so i think I gathered that at the end you said you would have gone CST and OME full if you could do it all over again. Is that what i should consider to go with then? What lift are you getting out of that set up?
I'm trying to research as well while reading your posts, so I apologize about all the questions, but being new to the lift world, things can get confusing very quick with all the available options and side effects.
Sorry I thought those were Toyo's in the picture. I absoultely love the Toyo OC and will go with Toyo in 35" as well.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned
Premium Member

I can't tell you what to build, there are so many good ways of doing it. I'm just saying after a lot of trial and error, and $$$, I wish I would have just done it right the first time (right to me), and did the OME full suspension and CST. The CST and OME 614 up front should get you 7-7.5" lift. The rear leafs should get you 2.5". Combine that with a +3 shackle and you have about 4-4.25" lift in back. For that entire setup, plus a carrier bearing bracket, you're looking at around $2200 or so and you're done. You've got 7-7.5" lift, new shocks on all 4 corners, and an actual "upgraded" suspension, in all aspects. A lot of guys like running 37" tires with that amount of lift, even with just 6" of lift. Personally, I'm a fan of some wheel well gap, so I'm running 35's, and so do others. Also, with 35's you'll have less performance loss than if you go with 37's, and with 37's, you'd be best to run 4.88 gears or better, which would be another $1500 or so project. Really just depends on the look you want, and how much dolla you wanna flush

To get all that with a bracket lift, you'll be a lot deeper into it, because I believe you have to use factory shocks up front with a shim or spacer, or upgrade to a $1000 coilover made specifically to fit that kit.

Check out coachbuilder1's build log, he is running that exact setup, and there may be others. Here is a good starting point, unless you want to read the whole thread:
Coachbuilder1 Suspension build

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 12-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Tundra315 (12-14-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Again Great information, not sure that I want to go 7" or higher, but i guess I need to dial something in and go from there. I will keep reading and searching until I figure out what I want. I will check out coach builder as well. I actually sent him a pm yesterday with a few questions as well. Thanks again for all the information.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned
Premium Member

You can get the OME 612 setup, and probably end up with 6-6.5" lift

There are so many possibilities, you're doing the right thing by researching. Take your time. Either way you end up, the truck will be beast. Lifted chevy, dodge, and fords are a dime a dozen....people NOTICE a lifted tundra Good luck with it! There are plenty of people in here who have done it all, so put your nose in the suspension threads and soak it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Tundra315 (12-14-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
That sounds like it would probably be a better range. I've been hitting the suspension thread heavy trying to nail a solid set up down, just haven't found it yet. I think you've provided some good insight and a direction to shoot for. I can't wait to get something done and that can lead to choosing something for sake of time versus right choice, but your right a lifted Tundra is definitely an eye catcher, which is why I want it right from the start or at least attempt to make it right from the start!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,697 Times in 954 Posts
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Man where can I get that deal for a pc 6" lift LOL

CAMBURG COIL OVERS, DEVER 5 LEAF + 3" BLOCK, 20" RBP 96R WRAPPED IN 34" BFG KO, PUTCO FRONT WIND DEFLECTORS, MGHLM, DISCONTINUED SHIFT KNOB, TRD CAI, TOW MIRRORS, DEBADGED, DIPPED BUMPERS,ORACLE COLOR SHIFT HALOS, WEATHER TECH DIGIFIT FLOOR LINERS, GOPRO SILVER EDITION DASH CAM
POTOOWA MEMBER #2
The Following User Says Thank You to serberus For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-09-2012)
#14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned
Premium Member

I will say the 1 thing I like about the bracket lifts like PC is that if you're brave and creative, you can squeeze about 9" lift out of 'em Shhhh, dont tell that to the offroad purists, they will crucify you
#15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serberus View Post
Man where can I get that deal for a pc 6" lift LOL
That is my cost plus tax from a wholesaler.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Suspension Talk