Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Stock TRD vs non-TRD stock springs

25K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  avtech2 
#1 ·
Are they different? TRD springs are stiffer? Thanks

#4 ·
I have never seen a chart to tell you what is what but I have a set of non trd springs and the factory TRD springs that are on my truck and they have different colored paint stripes on them.

#9 ·
Do the trd front springs give more lift than the non trd springs? The reason I'm asking is it seams trd spring equipped trucks come stock with 275's and non trd spring equipped trucks come with the 255's????.

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks

#13 ·
Are the TRD Off Road progressive and the non TRD springs Linear?

#14 ·
Swapped Springs

I have the ready lift 3/2 with non TRD shocks and springs on my 2012 crew max tundra grade 4x4. The front sits at 40 and 3/8 inches and the rear is 41 and 1/2 inches (ground to wheel well). My brother has the same truck and year just with the TRD package. He went with icon coilovers so I grabbed his front TRD struts and springs. After installing them on my truck I lost 1.5 inches of height on the front but the ride was a bit smoother and controlled. With the struts and springs side by side ( off the truck) they are the exact same length. That kinda threw me for a loop needless to say i put the non TRD springs on the bilstein struts and got my 1.5 inches back. Just thought i would share my findings. Im running stock 18 inch wheels and tires for now.

#15 ·
I have the ready lift 3/2 with non TRD shocks and springs on my 2012 crew max tundra grade 4x4. The front sits at 40 and 3/8 inches and the rear is 41 and 1/2 inches (ground to wheel well). My brother has the same truck and year just with the TRD package. He went with icon coilovers so I grabbed his front TRD struts and springs. After installing them on my truck I lost 1.5 inches of height on the front but the ride was a bit smoother and controlled. With the struts and springs side by side ( off the truck) they are the exact same length. That kinda threw me for a loop needless to say i put the non TRD springs on the bilstein struts and got my 1.5 inches back. Just thought i would share my findings. Im running stock 18 inch wheels and tires for now.

The TRD struts sat lower than stock struts?! Weird....

#18 ·
Trd coils resulting in less lift just doesn't sound right at all, and by an 1 1/2"

Are you sure you didn't get the springs swapped around by any chance?

I'm really surprised that no one can give an absolute answer one way or the other. I'm starting to think there isn't any difference between the two coils...just the other items that come along with the trd package....skid plate, better shocks, stickers, etc.

#20 ·
^^^^ hahaha you have way more time than I do...but man that would be great then everyone would no for sure.

I have a brand new set of trd coils waiting to go on the truck with my toytec level but if I can get more lift out of the non trd coils then why change.

Thanks

Reactions: MDHinSD
#22 ·
Im interested in this. Im surprised that this has only been brought up recently. I do know that the suspension is a bit stiffer. I really don't seem to see a hight difference. They have a bunch of Tundras here on post so when I see one thats a TRD I tend to park as close as I can get to it. But I don't notice any difference. I did though notice yesterday that this other trucks front end was a bit shorter then mine, but he did have different rims and tires (I didn't get to check the size). So this brings me back to wonder what are the hard facts on the entire TRD Suspension on these Tundras....raw numbers

#24 ·
I park my 08 trd next to a guy at work with a non trd and they look to be the same height. His truck is an sr5 mine is limited and we both have the same tire size but different wheels, both are stock wheels trd on mine and sr5 alloys on his. Both are also crewmax. Im pretty sure his is an 07.

sent from my galaxy s3

#26 ·
My 2012 DC TRD 2WD came with 275 width tires and the 18" alloy wheels. Somewhere in my searching for other accessories or leveling kits I came across TRD off road suspension packages available separately. I can't find them now, but I remember that they noted the TRD suspension reduces the payload capacity to something like 1200lbs. That should mean the TRD springs are softer, right?

#27 ·
Are you referring to Toyota literature on a pickup with the TRD suspension?

I think that the payload is rated a little lower since (I believe) the TRD automatically includes other options, such as the towing package, that increases the pickup's weight and eats into the payload.

#31 ·
I have 17 5.7 2WD DBL, non TRD

I found after installing TRD offroad springs and shocks from a 17 5.7 4WD Crew, my truck now sits 1 inch taller.

No other changes,...yet.

Doing some research and checking color markings on springs revieled the following,

2WD 5.7 DBL & Crew = 2 blue/2 yellow

4WD 5.7 DBL & Crew = blue & red/yellow & white

4WD 5.7 DBL/Crew wTRD = 1 blue/1 yellow

I never found a late model 2WD TRD, so I have idea what they might be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.