Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

09 with lower k or 2012 with higher k???

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  32vsnake 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Daniel here from BC Canada. I will hopefully be buying my first Tundra soon and am stoked to join this community! So I have a question for everyone... I have my eye on two trucks in particular...they look almost identical and both are in excellent shape. Both are silver dbl cab 5.7 Sr5 with Trd package. Both have paint match hard tonneau cover. One is an 09 with 62000 kilometres (38525 miles) the other is a 2012 with 97000 Kms (60273miles) thing is both are outta province but are much better deals than I will get here in BC (have to buy from dealership to finance) both were inspected and apparently need nothing but an oil change and the 09 is getting brake pads haha. The 09 looks to be is slightly better condition cosmetically (drivers seat and truck bed bit scratched up on the 2012)but again there both very good and very clean. Also they are 1000$ apart (1000 less asking price for the 09 which would be offset for the price of shipping it.) I know maintenance could be a dividing factor but all things being equal would you go for the 3 years newer with 35000 more Kms or 3 years older with 35000 fewer Kms??? Also another question if I may..... How much wiggle room is there usually on these? If they're asking like 26grand what could I reasonably expect to get them down too? Any advice much appreciated thanks in advance. :)

#3 ·
I would go with the 2012 because it's newer and with 60,000 miles on it, that's only 12,000 per year. Just make sure everything is in good working order as far as leaks, etc...

I have a 2012 with 99,350 miles right now and have had zero issues other than me and another driver backing up at the same time and a rock thrown into it by my lawn mower on another occasion.

I will be posting my 100,000 mile "hows it holding up" thread next week. I'm taking it out of town for a 1,000 mile trip.

Good luck with your choice.

#4 ·
That's a tough one. I would tend to lean toward lower miles, lower price and better condition. I do like the grille update they did in 2010, there is also a USB for phone connection to the factory radio starting that year. Both easy fixes and you can't turn back the mileage.
I'd probably go with the 09 due to lower mileage and better condition. I've been very happy with mine.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Got some more pictures of the 2012... dealer actually sent me like 40 high res pics which was pretty awesome of him... it's not lookin quite as clean as previously thought... hmmm might have to wait a bit... after taxes to spend almost 30gs Canadian I want it to be as clean as I can get it. Got the day off so Gonna talk to both dealers today and get a bit deeper.. the 09 is in Quebec and 2012 is in Alberta. Coastal truck would be better but not finding the right deals there... the 09 looks pretty good underneath as far as rust goes.. hmmm def a tough choice... jist really wanna get the right truck.

#9 ·
Last time I checked..neither Alberta or Quebec required that any accident damage needed to be declared. Not saying that either truck would have been previously damaged, but for me it's always a concern that you can't trace the vehicles complete history.

Good luck with your search

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.