Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

$10k markup

11K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  elbman01 
#1 ·
I went to service my Tundra because the filter was over torqued. While waiting, I went to take a look at the showroom and came across this TRD Pro that was "Market Adjusted". What do you guys think of the price? $61k with minimal added options.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
What Mr. Creosote said sounds reasonable.

#10 ·
I guess I meant I'll keep my $10k and maybe spend it on something else than just give it to the dealer because they want another $10k for a vehicle that you can obtain for MSRP at another dealer. Or maybe if one were to purchase this, they would have to talk to the right person who is willing to make the sale and move units, rather than make a quick buck, or in this case, $10k. Just wanna know what you guys think.

#14 · (Edited)
That's California for you. That price is a Rip off. Go to AZ or NV and you can save yourself big time over Cali. Even if they have to order you a non-flex fuel from Cali or the plant in TX. Drive it back to CA and save yourself a ton of money. My 2017 platinum with Mag SC/BD tuner, TRD Exhaust, TRD Pro Suspension, Toyota remote start, Spray in bed liner, Amp Steps, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, TRD shift knob, Color matched mirror caps/door handles, tint, AW floor liners and everything installed was the same cost as that TRD Pro.

I had the same experience in Cali when buying my FJ. I went to several dealerships in CA and they wanted 35k+ for a Brand new base model FJ literally with nothing (not even a tow hitch or roof rack). I came to AZ and bought my Brand New FJ for 24k with TRD Exhaust, lift/suspension, rim/tires, roof rack, tow hitch,TRD shift knob, 6sp Manual with quick shift. Given this was in 2009 but obviously things haven't changed in Cali.

#15 ·
My local dealer has a $2000+ "market adjustment" on a 4x4 Tundra Double Cab XSP. Never seen that before. I just shopped around to like 10 dealers (half were totally worthless). That truck in question was up over $47,000 with that "market adjustment". Instead, I'm buying an incoming XSP.... essentially the same truck....... not only doesn't it have that ridiculous market adjustment, the dealer came down over $6,300 off the MSRP. I would never think of paying that. I have to travel a couple hours to get it, but totally worth it.

#19 ·
I was in the same boat during my purchase. I drove a little over 2 hours to buy my Tundra because the dealers in my area really thought their shit didn't stink.

All my local dealers had markups on the PRO in excess of $5k... I'm not well informed on the features of the PRO but I assume one could pay less for a lower trim and add on what they want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Complete waste of money, what a joke

#20 ·
Probably for less than 60k. I shopped around before buying Tundra and found RAM 2500 and 3500 with diesel under 60k but they didn't have all the fancy gadgets and leather.

I still wonder if I made the right choice now that I'm shopping for a trailer... anyways that's another discussion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#32 ·
A buddy who's friends mom works at a dealer text me a few days ago about how stupid people are.

A customer wanted to trade in a 2016 F150 4x4 base model.

They bought it used at some other dealership in January.

They OWED $61k on it still. o_O .

How da fuq do they owe 61k on a truck that they bought used when a new one stickered for about 37k tops. Well, they were had, that's how.

There might be a looking into practices at the selling dealer as the truck is worth half what the dealer sold it for. Not sure they can do anything about it, but they are looking into it.

Reactions: Trailmoose
#24 ·
$10k Mark up is probably the highest I've seen so far, when I was looking at Tundra's in December/January Pro's were 5K minimum over msrp. As much as I love the PRO I cant pay over sticker for a vehicle with less features.
I chose the Platinum Route and got an acceptable deal, but I had to take a 2 hour train ride to San Diego for it. Dealership 1 mile from my house had a platinum in same color with less add ons and bottom lined their deal at several thousand above what I got mine for.

#27 · (Edited)
Anyone who gives those dumbasses 10k over Msrp for a pro is also a dumbass

There end of thread>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.