Options for buying New Tundra Out of State - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Options for buying New Tundra Out of State

I've pretty much decided on a '17 TSS model...5.7L, 4x4. Problem is, I haven't seen a single TSS listed at any VA dealership I've searched, or the region for that matter. Seems TX is loaded with TSS's. Just curious, but why is that?

Anyway, it's been a long time since I purchased a new vehicle, but if I wanted to get a particular vehicle, is it best to purchase directly through the out of state dealer (I don't mind a road trip ), or can my local Toyota dealer sell it to me, and if so, would there be extra expenses involved?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Thanked 21,199 Times in 9,640 Posts
Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Garage
Because they sell a ton of them here.

2015 Tundra CrewMax 1794 2WD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddd

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
Anyway, it's been a long time since I purchased a new vehicle, but if I wanted to get a particular vehicle, is it best to purchase directly through the out of state dealer (I don't mind a road trip ), or can my local Toyota dealer sell it to me, and if so, would there be extra expenses involved?
I drove 500 miles out of state to get mine last fall. The local dealers would order what I wanted, but only at retail. It was ~$5k cheaper to buy a 2016 off the lot, so I think it was worth the trip.

No extra expenses, no BS. Very pleased with Mountain States in Denver. You'll probably need to pay sales tax in your home state rather than the purchasing state, but that's normal.

2016 SR DC Long 4x4. Intermittent wipers added (?!)
Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift. Rear leaves, maybe air bags. 18x9 25-35mm rims. Nitto Dura Grappler 305/70r18 (35.2x12.8). And more!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I've bought three Tundras out of state

'07 & '11 great experience. Bought from same dealer.

'17 POS stealership F-tards tried to screw me on every part of the transaction.

My advice:

- if you have one, don't trade

- get deal / buyer's order firmed prior to making the trip

- if you finance, provide your own and arrive with check

BONES HEAL, CHICS DIG SCARS, PAIN GOES AWAY
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Garage
I bought a used Sequoia last year out of state. It was the easiest car buying experience I've ever had. I did everything through email, including the trade. I had my own financing done but used theirs because it was over a percent less interest. As soon as we arrived at the dealer we each inspected the cars and we signed papers and was back on the road under 2hrs.

If you are financing, they will take care of paying the registration and taxes for you in your home state. At least they did for me.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Thanked 2,872 Times in 1,763 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
So you cannot find A TEXAS state truck in VA.? I wonder why.
You can just get a local Tundra and then go to autozone and build one.
Or buy one from a dealer in the zone Texas is in.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Toyota dealerships are set up to trade vehicles. That's why at least around here, you'll go to a dealership and only see 2 or 3 Tundras on the lot whereas the Ford, GM, and Ram dealership have 50 trucks on their lots. They are supposed to trade vehicles with other dealerships to get you what you want. Now in my experience last summer, the dealership that I was dealing with was completely inept at doing so. They either would not trade with another dealer or just couldn't get it right. In the end, I ended up driving out of state about 3 hours and getting the truck I wanted. It was easy. In Illinois, you pay the taxes and registration at the dealership, in Missouri, we do it afterwards at the DMV. So I did not have to pay taxes at the dealership like I would if I lived in Illinois. Very easy process. The dealership also wanted me to pay $250 for the transportation costs of going and getting the vehicle from 4 hours away. When I bought my Tacoma 12 years ago, a different dealership was very good about trading. They looked on their computer, found the truck I wanted and about 4 days later, they called and said your truck is here come pick it up. Depends on the dealership whether they are willing to trade. There may also be some regional issues between different parts of the country as well.

Last edited by bsktball55; 04-19-2017 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsktball55 View Post
They are supposed to trade vehicles with other dealerships to get you what you want. Now in my experience last summer, the dealership that I was dealing with was completely inept at doing so. They either would not trade with another dealer or just couldn't get it right.
My local dealer couldn't or wouldn't do that either. Plus I got a lot of swarmy POS salesman BS.

In a couple minutes of email with Mountain States I had my price locked in, which was a lot cheaper than I thought I'd get. Drove up the next day, drove the truck around the block, signed a few papers, wrote them a check, and left. I was ready to pay the local dealer $3k more for the same truck (which they claimed they'd need to order from the factory) but they wanted full retail.

Future Offroad RV plans: Bed removed, homebuilt camper installed. Rear seat removed to make room for storage and bikes. King or ADS shocks with 700 lb springs, ~2" lift. Rear leaves, maybe air bags. 18x9 25-35mm rims. Nitto Dura Grappler 305/70r18 (35.2x12.8). And more!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've pretty much decided on a '17 TSS model...5.7L, 4x4. Problem is, I haven't seen a single TSS listed at any VA dealership I've searched, or the region for that matter. Seems TX is loaded with TSS's. Just curious, but why is that?

Thanks all!
TSS is a Gulf-States package. You aren't going to find it in VA.

14TC #35, White Tundra Club #910,000.1, TXTC #133, Tundra with a cap #132, Tundra Camper's Club #9, VLEDS blue footwell LED's, and interior lights upgraded to blue LED's, Aluminum Filter Cap, G-Tek doorsill protectors, NFab light bar, 2 20" LED bars, Amber Rigid D2's in place of OEM fogs. Next project in line = dip the chrome
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Im in Colorado and bought my last two Tundra trucks in Utah, one new and one used. Also bought and delivered a 4.6l Crewmax in Louisiana for my Dad because he couldnt get a 4.6l Crewmax in North Carolina.

I went to Utah because they didnt have any Pyrite/Graphite DC 4.6l models in Colorado when I bought my 2010, and the 2014 was purchased used in Utah with 24k mi for $10k less than I could get a new one in Colorado.

Toyota dealerships in the US are broken up into 12 regions. If you cant find what you want in your state/region, look to the next closest region. Here's a map.
Attached Images
File Type: png 11340407020908.png (81.4 KB, 30 views)

2014 Tundra DC Limited TRD 1G3 - Bilstein 6112 (max) 5160 + Toytec shackles (max)
Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70R18 (OEM TRD Wheels) & Cooper M+S LT275/65R20 (OEM Platinum wheels)
Snugtop Xtra Vision Shell w/ custom aluminum sleeping platform - ARB 2500 Awning

Last edited by thodhye; 04-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
My local dealer couldn't or wouldn't do that either. Plus I got a lot of swarmy POS salesman BS.

In a couple minutes of email with Mountain States I had my price locked in, which was a lot cheaper than I thought I'd get. Drove up the next day, drove the truck around the block, signed a few papers, wrote them a check, and left. I was ready to pay the local dealer $3k more for the same truck (which they claimed they'd need to order from the factory) but they wanted full retail.
They're always going to try and sell you what they have on their lot, but when the dealerships around here only have 2 or 3 trucks on their lot, the chances of them having what I want are slim and none. O well, I guess they didn't want to make the sale that bad and the salesman didn't need his commission. I even went into the dealership multiple times with trucks I found on autotrader or car gurus. Gave them the dealership, stock number, vin number whatever they needed because for some reason they couldn't find the truck I wanted with their software. They either just didn't want to work for it or were incompetent.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wow, great info guys, I really appreciate it. Didn't know it was a region specific model. Strange Toyota would limit it like that...I'm sure I'm not the only VA boy that likes that style of truck. I guess it won't hurt to ask my local dealer what they can do, but I won't hold my breath.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 PM

It is not a toyota model so they are not limiting it. They never offered it. It is a local region model that isn't yours
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I guess it won't hurt to ask my local dealer what they can do, but I won't hold my breath.
Definitely search for the vehicle you want and negotiate a price with dealers who have one. You can do it online... easy. Then see if your local guy can get one, and get close enough in price. They might not ship the TSS outside the region though.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 AM

Do your own search and negotiate with the gulf dealer directly. Then go get it. It is no reason you need to test drive a new vehicle.
You could also just buy the stick ons that make it a tss. any gulf toyota dealer can order the parts you cannot find used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Purchasing / Price / Release / Incentives Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.