User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member Buying Question

I'm a new member and am close to purchasing a 2017 Tundra 1794 but I have 1 concern and a few questions for anyone in the know. First of all I love the truck - interior, exterior, power, and mostly historical RELIABILITY.

1. Today however I read about frame rust issues on Tundras. I also saw a stack of rusted out frames behind the dealership and it really concerned me. Do we know what if anything Toyota has specifically done to correct the issue on new frames? I live in new England and need a truck that will last 10 years, 250k miles.

2. The msrp on the truck is 52k. Any idea what a fair price is givenot that 2018s are coming out soon?

Please know that I love the Tundra and want to buy but I can't make a 50k financial miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shay View Post
1. Today however I read about frame rust issues on Tundras. I also saw a stack of rusted out frames behind the dealership and it really concerned me. Do we know what if anything Toyota has specifically done to correct the issue on new frames? I live in new England and need a truck that will last 10 years, 250k miles.
Very first I've heard of that. But I'm relatively new to this board (any Toyota truck board) and live in the deep south (not the coast). But I'm subscribed.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
The majority of the frame rust issues were on Tacomas and first gen Tundras. Toyota did replace frames under warranty and from what I have read recently settled a very large lawsuit on the matter.

I'm on my 3rd Tundra. Note that the longest I owned any of them was 4 years, but I never saw any rust develop. Not as much salt in NJ as in New England, but no issues. I've also not seen many posts here with frame rust concerns. I know there are a lot of member still here with 2007's, and they would be most likely to have seen the issues. I'm sure there would be a lot of threads is the problem was significant.

Price wise, you may be able to negotiate a few thousand, but you won't find the huge rebates/discounts that the big 3 are known to offer. Toyota doesn't seem to need to do that to sell the number of trucks they want to sell. My 2008 and my 2012 were both purchased when gas prices were spiking very high, so trucks were not moving and I was able to negotiate about $7k below sticker both times (on less costly SR5 trim trucks). Not sure how flexible they would be right now, especially since the 2018 isn't on the lots yet and it looks like only a very minor refresh.

Lattimer

2015 TRD Pro CM Supercharged

Traded-- 2012 Crewmax 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
Traded-- 2008 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bought a '16 1794 when the 17s came out, 46,900 was out the door on the same sticker price your looking at.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I see all makes of trucks in the shop as used vehicles or trade ins with equal if not worse frame rust. The only thing I can say is at least Toyota makes good on it. Toyota bought back my '98 Tacoma for more then I paid when the frame rusted through and then put a new frame in my Tundra a few years back. Try getting Ford, Dodge or Chevy to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician 20+ years
"I know a thing or two cuz I've seen a thing or two."
The Following User Says Thank You to toymdt For This Useful Post:
Azblue (04-20-2017)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll second what Nathan1794 said. My suggestion is to find a dealer that does massive volume. A dealer that moves many units a day. They make their money based on the number of units sold, not the markup per unit.

The 2016 and 2017s are the same price if I recall, so this should help. I was able to get invoice + destination (sunk cost) plus the options. I used a volume dealer. I'm not sure which model you are looking at (double or crewmax or 4x4 or 4x2), but this should give you an idea. The DoubleCab and 4x2 will be less than that prices below.

2017 FFV 1794 Edition Tundra Crew Max w/ 4x4, 5.7L V8 4WD 4-Door Automatic Pickup. (Powered by: 5.7 L Gas Engine 8 Cyl.)
MSRP $50,130 (base MSRP with no options)
Invoice Price $46,371 (this is what the dealership pays more or less)
Destination Fee $1,195 (sunk cost - the dealer pays it and you probably will as well)
Holdback $1,003 (this is what the dealer gets back from Toyota - I think that it is 2% on the base MSRP. Trying to dig into this will be hard at best as they like to hold this close to their chest for margin)
Dealer Cost $46,563 (includes invoice + destination - holdback).

At a 'good' dealer you will pay $46,371 + $1,195 (destination) + whatever options are included + sales tax + any registration + documentation fees.

You won't get below invoice, typically. The good news is that even if they sell for invoice, they make at least $992 + whatever documentation and front-office fees that they charge. I'm not sure of what rebates are available (military is like $1000 or maybe $1000 cash back), but that's about the extent of them. Different regions of the US offer different deals as well (SET - South East Toyota is different than Gulf or North).

My dealer (volume dealer) knocked $3,500 off the MSRP price immediately when I bought mine (2017 4x4 CrewMax Limited) 2 months ago (had to order it) which basically got me back down to invoice + whatever options I picked + the sales tax/fees that I talked about above.

There are lower volume dealerships that have to keep it closer to MSRP to make their numbers. I visited FOUR other dealerships in the area and they were all $1500-3000 MORE than what this one dealer quoted me via email. I played the 'let me talk to the sales manager game' for hours and hours before I visited this one dealership that immediately cut me a deal. Was one of the easiest purchases that I have done and was a no brainer in terms of the final price.

Last edited by ruiner; 04-25-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Purchasing / Price / Release / Incentives Info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.