Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

New TRD Pro, did I screw up?

12K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  whoops911 
#1 ·
Well I finally pulled the trigger on a 2016 TRD Pro CM in Quicksand. I love the truck so far. The one thing I didn't like was that the TRD's lok so plain when stock. I worked it out with the dealer and they installed a 3/1 leveling kit to clear bigger tires. I wanted to keep the TRD wheels, so the only option was 285/65/18 Toyo Open Country AT without rubbing. They also installed fender flairs as part of the deal. From what I'm reading is that I am not taking full advantage of the Pros tuned suspension. I als hat the fact that the rear end sags. My question is, what do I need to lift and clear bigger tires, without sacrificing the TRD's suspension. I hear coach builder is the way to go. Is this something I can do myself? The of road shops here in South Texas are not very reliable. Any guidance would help!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, you definitely killed the sweet pro suspension, by adding a 3/1 level to it... Not a good move.

Shackles on the rear, either from toytec or coach, will fix your sag issue.

If I were you, I'd remove the spacers and read up on all the info that's available here.

#5 · (Edited)
TRD Pro Suspension with Coachbuilder1 Shims 2 on each coilovers, +3 Shackles, Carrier Bearing Drop kit. 18x9 Fuel Kranks +20 Offset, 35x12.50R18 Toyo Open Country R/T. I installed these and it took me about 4 hours, with the right tools pretty much plug and play! Loving this set up!

Attachments

#6 ·
Your dealership installed a 3" spacer on top of the Pro springs? That's 5" of lift right? I would expect serious alignment and CV joint issues!!!!

I would have those spacers taken off immediately before too much damage is done.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#7 ·
OP, you're new name is the butcher.

#9 ·
I'm so baffled at the dealer's service department. This is exactly why I won't let them touch my truck unless it's absolutely necessary for warranty work.

I don't even know how he drove it off the lot without serious tire squealing. There's no way the toe and camber are anything close to safe.

#12 ·
Few more beers and i was gonna say something. Poor thing is all kinds of busted up.

This is why people need to utilize the search feature, this outa be a sticky.

#16 ·
Take that crap off immediately and do as others said. I hope they didn't ditch your pro suspension altogether. It looks like they added a spacer on top of it. I'm sorry but you made a bad choice. I can't believe the dealer even did that. Oh wait...yes I can.

#17 ·
Anything to make a sale... :thumbdown:

Reactions: Jesco
#18 ·
I would demand new CV joints and upper ball joints. Yours have got to be toast from driving it like that.

Scratch that, new complete axles and upper control arms. The less work they're trusted to do the better off you are.

#20 ·
At a minimum take the spacer lift off and add a couple of coachbuilder shims and some wheel spacers to be closer to flush with those flares. Although I would ditch the flares. You can fit a decent size tire on the stock pro suspension without a lift and add some wheel spacers for more aggressive look.

#27 ·
No, hes been eating humble pie.

#26 ·
Funny, I was about to start a thread titled "How do you ruin a TRD Pro" and post this image, then I see this thread....

Dealer installed a 4" Pro Comp kit on top of the TRD Pro suspension. Then they want to charge $14k over MSRP for it......

Attachments

#28 ·
Start the thread anyhow, i have a feeling this one is gonna shutdown soon. :dunno:

#29 ·
Dear Spook46,

There are definitely other alternatives to what these guys are telling you.

For example, I have some stock black shocks in great condition just sitting in my garage. I will trade them for your TRD Pro suspension. This is the only way you will be able to keep the 3/1 level kit without damaging your CV joints.

#30 ·
You shallow prick, you just want him for his suspension.

Reactions: Kimba
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.