A DIY starter remover from Hell - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A DIY starter remover from Hell

Sorry in advance for a long thread post

Saturday night I got home from a wedding. Sunday morning, after the truck sat overnight for about 4 hours, I go to start it and "click".... Lights come on, A/C comes on, radio, etc but the truck doesn't turn over.

So I call a couple people who are mechanics and they come look at and everyone of them said "it sounds like your starter went out because of it making just one click". Before I decide to tow the truck to toyota, I call for a price and they quoted me $1045 for parts and labor.... I told them they could shove it because I've changed plenty of starters on different vehicles and it's normally a 1-2 hour job.

So I climb under the truck locate the starter and I'm thinking this will be a cake walk. Start calling the car part places... No one had a starter in stock except AutoZone and they wanted 594.99 for it.... They lady on the phone was shocked at well on that price. So I did the next best thing and went online. Carparts.com had a BOSCH starter they claimed fit an '08 5.7 tundra and it was 236 for the part, core deposit, and overnight shipping.

Part arrived on Tuesday around 11 in the morning. Starter removal started at noon. After fighting the two starter mount bolts for 3 hours (removing the exhaust from the manifold) I finally got the starter unbolted but there was no opening big enough to remove the starter. So After fighting that for another hour looking for ways and twisting I called it a day.

Tuesday night I'm looking at Toyota tech and they show to remove the starter, you have to remove the fan belt, intake, dip stick guide, heat shields, alternator, manifold, and just listed this obnoxious set up but it made some sense because the starter cover/shield could not be removed to allow more wiggle room for the starter. So I contemplated all night and figure I would do some of the removal under the hood and maybe grab it from the top.

Wednesday morning I pull the intake out and reading Toyota tech once more decided I was going to skip the belt removal and remove the dip stick guide..... One bolt and clip removal of the dip stick guide and I hear a ping. Look under the truck and there is part of the starter showing the way of full removal.

Pull the starter out and check it to the one I bought...... WRONG ONE!!!! Call carparts in anger and they tell me that they won't send me a new one until they received this one. Even though it was clearly their fault, they wouldn't budge and tell me that I ordered the wrong one.

After dealing with them, I took the old starter to AutoZone to check the solenoid hoping now that the solenoid could be out. Tested 7 times and each time fired up.... My blood is boiling now!!!

Went home and put every thing back together and throwing the towel in. My next step was looking for a knowledgeable mechanic. Got it all together and went to start and still a "click". Big bummer for my week. Later on in the evening yesterday, had some friends over and I'm cleaning the engine cover, and just doing little stuff like that. I remove the terminals from the battery (did this as well during removal and installation) and wiped them down a bit and put them back on. One of my friends wanted to here the "click" sound.... I get in the truck and start it and VROOM she wakes up, straight pipes rumbling in the garage, and I was shocked, happy, and annoyed all at the same time.

I'm annoyed a 2 hour job turned into a 2 day job and at carparts for not admitting their mistake, but she's running now and unless you have the patience, the tools, and the knowledge I would not recommend doing this even though I found the easy way with the dipstick removal because tearing apart the manifold, heat shields, belts, and intake just didn't seem accurate and now know why it would've cost me over a grand at the dealership.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
wow man what a hassleee!!!!

#3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Glad it worked out. I've been there on so many 'quick' project it's not even funny.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanked 1,380 Times in 772 Posts
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooraysTundra View Post
Sorry in advance for a long thread post

Saturday night I got home from a wedding. Sunday morning, after the truck sat overnight for about 4 hours, I go to start it and "click".... Lights come on, A/C comes on, radio, etc but the truck doesn't turn over.

So I call a couple people who are mechanics and they come look at and everyone of them said "it sounds like your starter went out because of it making just one click". Before I decide to tow the truck to toyota, I call for a price and they quoted me $1045 for parts and labor.... I told them they could shove it because I've changed plenty of starters on different vehicles and it's normally a 1-2 hour job.

So I climb under the truck locate the starter and I'm thinking this will be a cake walk. Start calling the car part places... No one had a starter in stock except AutoZone and they wanted 594.99 for it.... They lady on the phone was shocked at well on that price. So I did the next best thing and went online. Carparts.com had a BOSCH starter they claimed fit an '08 5.7 tundra and it was 236 for the part, core deposit, and overnight shipping.

Part arrived on Tuesday around 11 in the morning. Starter removal started at noon. After fighting the two starter mount bolts for 3 hours (removing the exhaust from the manifold) I finally got the starter unbolted but there was no opening big enough to remove the starter. So After fighting that for another hour looking for ways and twisting I called it a day.

Tuesday night I'm looking at Toyota tech and they show to remove the starter, you have to remove the fan belt, intake, dip stick guide, heat shields, alternator, manifold, and just listed this obnoxious set up but it made some sense because the starter cover/shield could not be removed to allow more wiggle room for the starter. So I contemplated all night and figure I would do some of the removal under the hood and maybe grab it from the top.

Wednesday morning I pull the intake out and reading Toyota tech once more decided I was going to skip the belt removal and remove the dip stick guide..... One bolt and clip removal of the dip stick guide and I hear a ping. Look under the truck and there is part of the starter showing the way of full removal.

Pull the starter out and check it to the one I bought...... WRONG ONE!!!! Call carparts in anger and they tell me that they won't send me a new one until they received this one. Even though it was clearly their fault, they wouldn't budge and tell me that I ordered the wrong one.

After dealing with them, I took the old starter to AutoZone to check the solenoid hoping now that the solenoid could be out. Tested 7 times and each time fired up.... My blood is boiling now!!!

Went home and put every thing back together and throwing the towel in. My next step was looking for a knowledgeable mechanic. Got it all together and went to start and still a "click". Big bummer for my week. Later on in the evening yesterday, had some friends over and I'm cleaning the engine cover, and just doing little stuff like that. I remove the terminals from the battery (did this as well during removal and installation) and wiped them down a bit and put them back on. One of my friends wanted to here the "click" sound.... I get in the truck and start it and VROOM she wakes up, straight pipes rumbling in the garage, and I was shocked, happy, and annoyed all at the same time.

I'm annoyed a 2 hour job turned into a 2 day job and at carparts for not admitting their mistake, but she's running now and unless you have the patience, the tools, and the knowledge I would not recommend doing this even though I found the easy way with the dipstick removal because tearing apart the manifold, heat shields, belts, and intake just didn't seem accurate and now know why it would've cost me over a grand at the dealership.
Dealer price didn't sound to bad after all of that huh? Most of that starter time is why it pays over 7 hours to do the transmission, easy job other than getting the starter out.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyn8 View Post
Dealer price didn't sound to bad after all of that huh? Most of that starter time is why it pays over 7 hours to do the transmission, easy job other than getting the starter out.
Yea it still sounds bad. I still have my money.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Always pays to check your battery connections first.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So if I understand correctly, after all this it was a bad connection at the battery terminal?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post
So if I understand correctly, after all this it was a bad connection at the battery terminal?
Yep. What ended up being the issue was about a month ago, my mother used my truck and the battery died. She was able to get to advance auto parts and they swapped the battery out. Problem is the battery post was too big for the connection so they changed the connection but didn't crimp it properly. And just over time came loose.

And during the entire time of this hassle, the battery was disconnected and reconnected and getting that same one click from the starter had everyone saying it was a starter issue

#9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooraysTundra View Post
So I call a couple people who are mechanics
Lose their phone numbers
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyspin For This Useful Post:
Toxarch (05-12-2011)
#10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Wiggle test.
#11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,020 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Glad you got it figured out at a low cost.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.