Transmission Fluid Change/Flush - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Fluid Change/Flush

Called one dealership and they wanted $189.95 for a transmission fluid flush.
Called another dealership and they said a flush isn't necessary since we have the sealed transmission, but would drop the pan and change out the 4 qts for $49.95.

I tow a lot during the summer and have concerns about not taking care of the Tundra. Has anyone done any transmission service to their 07+ trucks yet?

Just trying to find out what is the best thing to do. I change out the engine oil and differential oil myself using Amsoil products, but it looks like this tranny isn't easy to service.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Mick

Mick
Sky Silver 07' CM
Mods/Additions:
UnderCover Tonneau
UnderCover Swingcase
Raptor Nerf Bars
AVS Window/Bug deflectors
WeatherTech floor mats
Hellwig Sway Brace
Hellwig Helper Springs

Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHD2 Travel Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After reading some posts on here, I was under the impression that a flush was kind of frowned upon. I guess while flushing the transmission it stirs all the metal shavings and whatnot into the gears causing problems down the road. I was just planning on dropping the pan when it comes time to do mine. I'm sure some others will chime in.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,109 Times in 4,977 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Why did they say 4 quarts? 6 speed tranny with trans cooler takes 11.6 qts and the non-tow package takes 11qts. Toyota says their transmission fluid is good for 100K miles under "normal driving" situations. If you tow a lot, that is clearly not normal driving in my book. It's your truck and you should decide when is a good time to flush your transmission. It won't be cheap. Just be aware that Toyota ATF does not mix with other brands ATF. I've seen the pdf just to check the ATF level and that's a lot of work. I'll let the dealer change mine when the time comes. The transfer case and differential fluids I can change out myself.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.

Last edited by Toxarch; 02-01-2010 at 01:53 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
4 qts is all you get when you drop the pan. You need to do a fluid flush if you want to get all 11+ qts changed. I may be stuck with a $200 flush. I have heard others paying a lot less. I really hate my Stealership.

Mick
Sky Silver 07' CM
Mods/Additions:
UnderCover Tonneau
UnderCover Swingcase
Raptor Nerf Bars
WeatherTech floor mats
Hellwig Sway Brace
Hellwig Helper Springs

#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
"The General"

That price seems inline with my dealership. I had the flush done on my 4Runner about a year ago and it took a little less fluid (I believe).

#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 767 Posts
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
They quoted you a Type 4 flush if it was under $200. Because of the extra time it takes to check fluid levels a WS flush runs closer to $300. I typically only do them at 100k miles, 60 if you tow alot.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
Whats a type 4 flush and a WS Flush?

Mick
Sky Silver 07' CM
Mods/Additions:
UnderCover Tonneau
UnderCover Swingcase
Raptor Nerf Bars
WeatherTech floor mats
Hellwig Sway Brace
Hellwig Helper Springs

#8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 767 Posts
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Type 4 is the fluid used through 2004 in Tundra's. WS is World Standard full synthetic fluid that is in your Tundra.
The Following User Says Thank You to nastyn8 For This Useful Post:
Toxarch (02-01-2010)
#9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Z15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodac27 View Post
After reading some posts on here, I was under the impression that a flush was kind of frowned upon. I guess while flushing the transmission it stirs all the metal shavings and whatnot into the gears causing problems down the road. I was just planning on dropping the pan when it comes time to do mine. I'm sure some others will chime in.

Flushing the transmission can have some very bad pitfalls especially if done by amateurs and by amateurs I mean anyone who is not a transmission professional such as quick lube shops and any other place selling such services. They often shortcut procedures such as not dropping the pan and replacing the filter, by adding chemical solvents to do unnecessary cleaning, using cheap quality lubricants and using additives that are not necessary, all to maximize the profits for the shop while depending on the machine to do the work of a experienced technician. Case in point, a friend with a 2007 Tundra went to a quick lube place locally that advertises tranny flushes. He had his own synthetic ATF (AMSOIL) and filter. When he got their for his appointment he found out that the person who was going to be flushing his truck was a 19 yo working part time and had only been on the job for a few months. He decided he was not going to pay them 99.95 to let some inexperienced kid touch his vehicle especially after finding they never had done a truck like his before and they were not planning on doing the filter replacement. So he went to a local trans shop and they only charged him $75 for one hours labor to change it out without using a machine.

Most trans professionals will never hook up a machine to flush the trans., they will do a hands on flush. That is dropping the pan, observing the condition of the fluid and the filter, then buttoning it up and using the cooler lines and the engine to flush out the old fluids.

You will find a procedure link on this page

Mike

Last edited by Z15; 02-02-2010 at 07:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Z15 For This Useful Post:
EZTundra77 (11-19-2011)
#10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanked 2,126 Times in 831 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is my understanding that our transmissions do not have a filter that needs changing. Instead it uses a pickup screen that should never get clogged unless there is gross neglect of the transmission. If that is the case, then why would you even need to drop the pan?

#11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Z15

Yes, Your right so I don't know what he was talking about with the filter unless there were also changing his oil.

Here is some info I just found out..It does not say what models....
References - Toyota Technical Bulletin : World Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid (TC010-07)

I copied part of this from service info I subscribe to....

Certain Toyota applications require use of the Toyota Transmission Fill System to accurately complete transmission fluid changes. Aftermarket transmission shops and at-home mechanics neglecting to use the Toyota-specific Transmission Fill System may under-fill the transmission, which may lead to erratic shift patterns or catastrophic failure of the system.

Toyota has issued a unique set of equipment and processes related to the successful flushing and filling of automatic transmissions requiring Toyota WS fluid. With the introduction of the Toyota WS ATF specification, certain Toyota applications do not specify initial fluid inspection until 100,000 miles. Though this interval is approved by Toyota, many consumers choose to change their transmission fluid prior to the recommended interval.

Consumers who flush and change their transmission fluid to a competitive product, frequently either use fluid change facilities not specifically associated with Toyota or complete the service at home. Often, these shops and consumers do not have the Toyota Transmission Fill System. Without this equipment, proper flush and change procedures may not be accurately completed, leaving the consumer’s transmission vulnerable to the detrimental effects of incorrect fill volume.

Under-filled transmissions can result in erratic shift patterns and, ultimately, transmission failure.

Mike

Last edited by Z15; 02-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Z15 For This Useful Post:
M@D-M@X (02-16-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15 View Post
Yes, Your right so I don't know what he was talking about with the filter unless there were also changing his oil.

Here is some info I just found out..It does not say what models....
References - Toyota Technical Bulletin : World Standard Automatic Transmission Fluid (TC010-07)

I copied part of this from service info I subscribe to....

Certain Toyota applications require use of the Toyota Transmission Fill System to accurately complete transmission fluid changes. Aftermarket transmission shops and at-home mechanics neglecting to use the Toyota-specific Transmission Fill System may under-fill the transmission, which may lead to erratic shift patterns or catastrophic failure of the system.

Toyota has issued a unique set of equipment and processes related to the successful flushing and filling of automatic transmissions requiring Toyota WS fluid. With the introduction of the Toyota WS ATF specification, certain Toyota applications do not specify initial fluid inspection until 100,000 miles. Though this interval is approved by Toyota, many consumers choose to change their transmission fluid prior to the recommended interval.

Consumers who flush and change their transmission fluid to a competitive product, frequently either use fluid change facilities not specifically associated with Toyota or complete the service at home. Often, these shops and consumers do not have the Toyota Transmission Fill System. Without this equipment, proper flush and change procedures may not be accurately completed, leaving the consumer’s transmission vulnerable to the detrimental effects of incorrect fill volume.

Under-filled transmissions can result in erratic shift patterns and, ultimately, transmission failure.

Who knows the (correct)answers to these questions: 1) Fluid type for the 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 auto tranny?WS? Flush and fill,(this procedure will flush most of the fluid(11.6 l) out of the system to include the torque converter) or drain and fill)this procedure will only remove 4 0r 5 l from the system)? If the trannys system capacity is 11.6 liters with a tow package why would anybody just change 4 or 5 liters? My next step is to use common sense!
#13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanked 1,331 Times in 759 Posts
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
5.7 is WS FLUID. WIth Tax AT DEALER IT WAS 240 BUCKS FOR ME for full flush.
If low miles a dealer can do flush, did mine at 38,000 and I don't tow.
Read above TOX'S info and search some here for more answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraa View Post
Who knows the (correct)answers to these questions: 1) Fluid type for the 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 auto tranny?WS? Flush and fill,(this procedure will flush most of the fluid(11.6 l) out of the system to include the torque converter) or drain and fill)this procedure will only remove 4 0r 5 l from the system)? If the trannys system capacity is 11.6 liters with a tow package why would anybody just change 4 or 5 liters? My next step is to use common sense!
#14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOL ARDNUT View Post
5.7 is WS FLUID. WIth Tax AT DEALER IT WAS 240 BUCKS FOR ME for full flush.
If low miles a dealer can do flush, did mine at 38,000 and I don't tow.
Read above TAXeS info and search some here for more answers.
Here is what I have collected during my research: The 2007 Tundra (Glove box) manuel doesn't even have the word "transmission" in it. I have read(on the internet) that the transmissions "NEVER" needs a fluid change because its a closed system, the fluid characteristics are flat viscosity/low temp curve, or "WS" fluid).....never? The maintenance booklet I received when I purchased the truck says. "Replace transmission fluid @ 60,000k and 120,000k ,only if "Towing While Driving." That means if you don't tow, you don't need to ever change the fluid? Ive read where guys change the fluid every 15 to 30k. I have 110,000(all mine, 90% highway) miles on my 2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package. 10,000 of those miles are from towing 8500lbs+. I am leary about changing the tranny fluid because nobody has a clue. When I first purchased the Tundra in 2007 not one oil change, quick lube business carried the correct oil(5w-20)or the correct oil filter.....I just purchased the oil/filter myself and had them change it. Now, the tranny dilemma is at hand.......My options are limited. I have read the procedure for flushing, than filling the tranny. Its all about "trust". The guy doing the job must have the proper equipment/fluids and above all the proper training and info to properly do the job. I guess I will just flip a coin...........
#15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraa View Post
Here is what I have collected during my research: The 2007 Tundra (Glove box) manuel doesn't even have the word "transmission" in it. I have read(on the internet) that the transmissions "NEVER" needs a fluid change because its a closed system, the fluid characteristics are flat viscosity/low temp curve, or "WS" fluid).....never? The maintenance booklet I received when I purchased the truck says. "Replace transmission fluid @ 60,000k and 120,000k ,only if "Towing While Driving." That means if you don't tow, you don't need to ever change the fluid? Ive read where guys change the fluid every 15 to 30k. I have 110,000(all mine, 90% highway) miles on my 2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package. 10,000 of those miles are from towing 8500lbs+. I am leary about changing the tranny fluid because nobody has a clue. When I first purchased the Tundra in 2007 not one oil change, quick lube business carried the correct oil(5w-20)or the correct oil filter.....I just purchased the oil/filter myself and had them change it. Now, the tranny dilemma is at hand.......My options are limited. I have read the procedure for flushing, than filling the tranny. Its all about "trust". The guy doing the job must have the proper equipment/fluids and above all the proper training and info to properly do the job. I guess I will just flip a coin...........
That is somewhat correct, you do need to have the tranny fluid changed at 100k but with only 10k of it being tow, that's not bad, from my understanding they more or less mean if it's towing 50% of the time. The oil filter part number you're referring to is the cartridge type 04152-YZZA4 for future reference. Yeah, the closed system makes it a pain for the do it yourselfer but it does extend the interval considerably comparatively to systems that use type T-IV. It's about $8 per qt of WS with us I believe.

"Project Puma"- Old Man Emu 2.5" HD lift, BFGoodrich A/T or Toyo Open Country M/T or Nitto Terra Grappler, ARB Bull Bar, Rhino Lining spray in bed liner, Black Step Bars, either an ARE Z series camper top or an UnderCover bed cover, a reinforced rear bumper similar to a ARB or Warn, safari style roof rack(where ever there IS one), LED off-road lamps, brush guard for tail lamps, replace front chrome grill with Rock Warrior grill, pocket style fender flares.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues