Have you ever overfilled your gas tank and had emission codes pop up? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Have you ever overfilled your gas tank and had emission codes pop up?

I did overfill the gas tank on a 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax 5.7 Liter engine. This truck is new to me so I don't know if this has been done in the past. Anyways, I am now having codes 441 and 455. I have cleared them several times, but they come back on. I replaced the gas cap and it didn't solve the problem. After a little research on the web, I replaced the gas cap again with a Stant gas cap this time. A mechanic mentioned that I probably damaged the charcoal canister by allowing fuel to enter it. Could I fix the problem by removing it and letting it dry out? or replacing the filter? or am I going to have to hand over the money for a new canister (out of warranty)? Any experience in clearing these codes permanently?

Last edited by Pat's Toy; 03-17-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 32,407 Times in 13,998 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
#3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 03:11 AM

When im in the mood to overfill my tank i stand there for days clicking the gas pump until gas starts flowing out of my tank and i havent got an engine light yet. I also have a locking gas cap and no check engine light either. I dont know but kind of think its not the canister could something else. By the way how are u out of warranty? Did this void your warranty where you cant get it fixed for free or what?

Katskin Leather Seat
Homelink
8" Tint strip on front windshield
35% Front 5% Back Tint
Locking Gas Cap (U never know right?)
OEM Alarm
KN Drop In Filter
Carbon Filter Take off Mod
#4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM

I always fill mine to the top as well. No codes in a year of ownership.

06 Access Cab 4X4 SR5 TRD
#5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Oh that sucks. No I've never overfilled mine because I thought I read in the owners manual not to do that.

2008 Crewmax 5.7L 4X4
Leer 800 tonneau- For Sale
Scanguage
I-pod adapter USA spec PA12TOY
Factory back-up camera

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"
-Thomas Jefferson
#6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 AM

I often squeeze out the extra dollar of fuel just to make an even number and I've never thrown a code.

2008 Black Toyota Tundra 4X4 DC Limited
#7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM

The canister should be under warranty unless you have more than 36k miles. I haven't heard of overfilling causing the codes but I have heard of a few going bad for no reason. The are also somewhat sensitive to hard impacts (stick, big rock, side impact.....). They aren't that hard to change if it's out of warranty and you just want to buy the part.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,595 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I round up to the dollar. Yes filling it up all the way to the top can caused 400 codes to come on. Yes it saturates the charchoal filter. Then it needs replacing. Not a cheap thing to replace either. Just because it didn't happened yet doesn't mean the next fillup it won't. I had this problem with my 03 F-150 which ended up with the computer being replaced 10x. So it can happened. Either have the code read at the dealer or find someone who has a reader and tell you what the codes mean.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytruckchampion View Post
The canister should be under warranty unless you have more than 36k miles. I haven't heard of overfilling causing the codes but I have heard of a few going bad for no reason. The are also somewhat sensitive to hard impacts (stick, big rock, side impact.....). They aren't that hard to change if it's out of warranty and you just want to buy the part.
I`ve debated this issue with a Mazda Tech. He also confirmed that specific damage mentioned can result in " evaporator " damage causing a Check Engine light.

2014 LTD D/C 4X4 LTD Premium Pack 2008 D/C SR5 5.7 TRD 4X4 Gone but not forgotten
#10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Yes that's true. First thing they told me to do 8 cycles to clear that light. Well by the time the 10th cycle came it was on again and they said bring it in. It had the codes for 2 one was that charcoal filter but they didn't replace it because another sensor they replaced caused it. Well that didn't work so let's replaced the sensor again and yes total test failed but sensor test passed. Let's see what's wrong with the computer. My oh my it's lowjack on top of the computer that's the culprit. Well now it isn't lowjack and we ordered a new computer replaced computer and now #5 cylcinder is missing out. This went on and on. Changed at least 5 computers and same results. SO what's a person to do when the tech, his shop foreman and Service manager all 3 come up to you and state we can't fix your new truck. So when some one gets 400 codes I get nightmares.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Is that still going on Mickey?
#12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytruckchampion View Post
Is that still going on Mickey?
Sorry No. This was my 03 F-150... I just get chills when I hear about 400 codes. Indy it got so bad the car rental place knew me by name and why I was there. Embarassing! The arguements I had with the top people at the dealership and when I mention Lemon Law it was like I dropped a bomb on them. They went off what ever way they could and I was about to jack this laison guy's jar from getting into my face. My salesman pulled me aside and told everyone that we will order him a new truck. Indy I was satisfied at that point with that. This is not to mention what they did to my lojack that was installed. They bent the fiber optic on it and moved it from it's original place almost voided my warranty by moving it. If my truck was stolen they wouldn't be able to activate it. Lowjack fix it and mounted it again for me and tested it in front of me to show it was working. Well Indy my new truck was in route to the dealer. Two days before arrival they called me in to try and fix my truck with a factory rep. He told me 3 in sequential order had this issue and mine was on the east coast. The pins in the wiring harness were short to meet the receiving end in the computer causing the missfire. This was the problem and my original computer just happened to fit. When I came in the next day when the new truck arrived my salesman starting doing all the necessary stuff when the GM walked in and said no truck because mines was fixed. After 9 months of this hassle and numerous hours they had my truck naturally we were both livid about what was just said. Of course the discussion got so heated I ended up that day taking the truck to the Chevy dealer and got rid of it. I told him we will never own another Ford again. Asa matter of fact they ended up firing my salesman. I told them if it wasn't for my wife liking her 03 Crown Victoria LX Sport we would be both in chevy's. In haste I bought the 06 Silverado ext cab LT3. I just wanted out. Well it was out of the frying pan into the fire with this 06 Chevy.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 PM

This is why I really love the truck I have now Indy. It's piece of mind and it's keeping me out of jail. I do sympathize and understand when someone has issues with there Tundra and how they are feeling. I've been there and did that with my 92 Sonoma exhaust manifold, 97 Thunderbird which was more in the shop than out of it. This is where I learned about NHTSA and ODI with recalls and TSB's. I can't say a thing about the 98 Silverado 3rd door base model it was the best truck I had. Got totalled from a Taco.Both 03 Ford's had alot of issues F-150 Crown Vic, then 06 SIlverado ext cab LT3. There top of the line 11x to replace headliner. Both tail lights fell off and ABS was an issue twice. This is why I don't believe the so call first time vehicles with all the bugs. Both Ford and GM had been out 3 years and I had all those issues. They had given me several black eyes from buying new. What I can say about my Tundra now at 52,000 miles and the Prius at 30,000 miles and hasn't had one issue. I can simply say the best. Piece of mind plays alot with you. Having no issues and only 4 visits on the truck and all 4 were done in under 1 hour and twice the dealer gave me a no cost and put it under a warranty not to charge me because we are loyal customers who use the dealer for our maintenance needs other than rotate the tires. How can you complain. This truck is as good as my 98 except it hasn't the miles I had on the 98. Once I'm over 110,000 miles then I can say I have the best now.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
#14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
This is why I really love the truck I have now Indy. It's piece of mind and it's keeping me out of jail. I do sympathize and understand when someone has issues with there Tundra and how they are feeling. I've been there and did that with my 92 Sonoma exhaust manifold, 97 Thunderbird which was more in the shop than out of it. This is where I learned about NHTSA and ODI with recalls and TSB's. I can't say a thing about the 98 Silverado 3rd door base model it was the best truck I had. Got totalled from a Taco.Both 03 Ford's had alot of issues F-150 Crown Vic, then 06 SIlverado ext cab LT3. There top of the line 11x to replace headliner. Both tail lights fell off and ABS was an issue twice. This is why I don't believe the so call first time vehicles with all the bugs. Both Ford and GM had been out 3 years and I had all those issues. They had given me several black eyes from buying new. What I can say about my Tundra now at 52,000 miles and the Prius at 30,000 miles and hasn't had one issue. I can simply say the best. Piece of mind plays alot with you. Having no issues and only 4 visits on the truck and all 4 were done in under 1 hour and twice the dealer gave me a no cost and put it under a warranty not to charge me because we are loyal customers who use the dealer for our maintenance needs other than rotate the tires. How can you complain. This truck is as good as my 98 except it hasn't the miles I had on the 98. Once I'm over 110,000 miles then I can say I have the best now.
Hear ya Mickey. 52,000 and i bet it still runs like new. The way you maintain your vehicles you`ll have no problem hitting mid 100`s. I myself am hoping for some luck and God willing run this baby into the 100`s.

2014 LTD D/C 4X4 LTD Premium Pack 2008 D/C SR5 5.7 TRD 4X4 Gone but not forgotten
#15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 PM

If you do all maintenance on any new truck I'm sure you will get the mileage. It's the other issues you have to deal with. To me to have something fix isn't an issue. It's the way the dealer handles themselves and the way they deal with you the customer.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues