Squeeling Noise when Truck is Moving - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Squeeling Noise when Truck is Moving

My 06 Tundra, 47000 miles, makes this high pitch squeeling noise continually while the truck is moving, even in reverse. It's been going on for about a month now. My first thought was that it was the brake pad wear indicators but if it was wouldn't the noise only occur when the brakes are applied? The brakes are operating normally, no grinding or pulling. The noise occurs continuously when the vehicle is moving. What can this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,595 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
My 06 Tundra, 47000 miles, makes this high pitch squeeling noise continually while the truck is moving, even in reverse. It's been going on for about a month now. My first thought was that it was the brake pad wear indicators but if it was wouldn't the noise only occur when the brakes are applied? The brakes are operating normally, no grinding or pulling. The noise occurs continuously when the vehicle is moving. What can this be?
Still have your brakes checked. Even though you haven't applied them the pads are very close to the rotors and anything on them like morning dew rust etc will make noise. If it was down to metal to metal it will still make noise. If this is a brake noise you're hearing.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

THIS TRUCK
CAN TAKE
A HIT
AND KEEP
ON TICKIN'
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Mickey. Is there a product I can purchase at an auto supply store that may stop the squeeking noise, assuming it's the brakes? I'll be handing in the vehicle shortly (end of lease) and would rather put the bucks towards a new Tundra instead of a brake job!
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Does it do it all the time ? Take it out of gear next time your driving and let me know if it does it still while in nuetraL.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLES ETC View Post
Does it do it all the time ? Take it out of gear next time your driving and let me know if it does it still while in nuetraL.
Axles:
Checked it out at lunch. Yes it does it all the time, even in neutral. The noise doesn't get better or worse when the brakes are applied either.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Well it might not be in the drivetrain then. Usually if you take it out of gear than you take the load off the drivetrain and the noise shouild go away. So we can eliminate the drivetrain which is good. So it has to be somwhere else, ie,wheel bearing's, rotors,Maybe even a water pump bearing ? Wheel bearings sound like thats the problem if I had to guess without seeing the vehicle I would say thats it. I had a 2002 Tundra and I had a problem with the water pump. It would make a squeel noise. It wound up being the bearing in the pulley on the water pump that was bad.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLES ETC View Post
Well it might not be in the drivetrain then. Usually if you take it out of gear than you take the load off the drivetrain and the noise shouild go away. So we can eliminate the drivetrain which is good. So it has to be somwhere else, ie,wheel bearing's, rotors,Maybe even a water pump bearing ? Wheel bearings sound like thats the problem if I had to guess without seeing the vehicle I would say thats it. I had a 2002 Tundra and I had a problem with the water pump. It would make a squeel noise. It wound up being the bearing in the pulley on the water pump that was bad.
Thanks I'll have the wheel bearings checked out. It's a real high pitched sound, quite annoying at low speed when I have the windows rolled down.
Any helpful advice on wheeling bearings?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

is it 4wd ? Sometimes when the bearings go bad you get a roaring noise. Its hard to say.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Its really hard to diagnois this problem via internet.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Does it make the noise when you are not in motion? If it does not then that would eliminate the water pump. I would go with the wheel bearing noise or the squeeler alert on the pads is scraping. If this is the case, just bend it a little bit and that will eliminate the problem if you are turning it in. Another thing that I have actually had happen was for a rock to get wedged between the shield and the rotor and cause some squeeling. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by BTrzebiato; 03-19-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Wouldnt the water pump make that noise either in motion or not ? The engine is still running and the motor would need circulation of the coolant so the pully is gonna turn either way, and it should have a serpentine belt so the bearing is going to be spinning all the time so that shouldnt eliminate the water pump at all right ?

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Check your u-joint once you eliminate your brakes. Sounds like they are dry.

'08 CM Black 4WD TRD SR5

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Not gonna be a ujoint, You wont get a squeel sound from a bad ujoints, maybe a grinding or clunking noise.Either way with the vehicle in nuetral the driveshaft has no load to it so that cant be it.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Yes, You will get a squeal in neutral while moving... what still turns the shaft? The gears in the rear end is still moving that turns the drive shaft which will cause the squeal from a dry u-joint.

'08 CM Black 4WD TRD SR5

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Yea, but u-joints do not squeel bro. I'm not amechanic but that much I know only because thats what I do for a living. I own a driveshaft and axle company. Usually they clunk or grind from a dry ujoint. But those a non-greasable ujoints so when they go bad its usually a quick process and you'll hear a clunk when you enage it in gear. When ever you put a load on the drivetrain it will be more of a clunk noise than a squeel,Sounds to me like a bearing. It could be a center support bearing on the driveshaft too. which will make a squeel at all speeds. that could very well be it. I'd take it in and have it looked over. If its a center bearing let me know and I can get ya a good aftermarket support bearing a lot cheaper than new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.