Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Transmission Service Question??

22K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Bluewoo 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 CM with 5.7 which I do tow my boat fairly often. I'm just over 70,000 miles and I was going to get the transmission serviced. "Fluid Exchange" I have called several of the Toyota dealers in my area and I keep getting the "why do you need it serviced, it shouldn't be serviced until 100,000k". I then say I am towing aprox 4000 lbs sometimes 500 miles at a time and assume it should be serviced to hopefully avoid issues later in life. Asking for thoughts, opinions, experiences etc.... Thanks!

#2 ·
I would say better to be safe than sorry. Seems like the owners manual says if you do under extreme climates and stuff, that 60k would be good to service it at. Now what is extreme and often towing out of the norm, no clue.

BTW, you will need to post in the new member section before you can reply here.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#6 ·
Had the transmission serviced by the dealer including a full flush at 115K on my 2007 and that truck towed plenty. Transmission was perfect before and continued to operate perfectly after.

Wait till 100K, thats the recommended interval and its a fairly pricey service.

#7 ·
I had mine flushed a couple of months ago by the dealer, and haven't had any issues. I've put probably 1500 miles on it since then. I don't tow very often, and even then, it's probably 2k lbs max, for no more than a few miles. I didn't have any issues going in, but had 118k miles on it and figured I would go ahead and do it. I read a lot of horror stories as well with people saying don't do it. I asked my dealer about the service, and they said they wouldn't even do a drain and fill, that their transmission service on these trucks is a "flush", but is more of the truck being hooked to a system, and letting the engine power the fluid change. It had a tube that sucked the old out, and a tube that put the new in. Not really sure all the details behind it, but seemed ok. I don't remember what I paid, but I think with the service and fluid it was right at $200.

#8 ·
Its never a bad idea to change out ATF on any vehicle IMO.

Just know what you're really paying for vs what they say they do upfront vs what they really do in the shop.

It is a POWERED fluid FLUSH? Run away as fast as possible...never flush a good trans these days.

Is it a fluid change/exchange? As in 4-5qt drain and refill? This is the safest bet, but note its only a "refresh" unless its done more than once or at shorter intervals.

If there's an EASY method to drain more than 4-5qts out a time, I'm all ears.

#10 ·
Get it serviced.

At 100K , the dealer won't do the service or they will make you sign a hold harmless agreement. Or at least that's how they do it here.

#11 · (Edited)
Chris Fix has a good u-toob channel on vehicle maintenance.
He's pretty meticulous and does a good job of explaining different topics.
Here's one for starters

And yes, even a refresh is beneficial as the additives do break down with thermal cycling as the clock rolls.
Don't hesitate to take care of your ride she's take good care of you...lol..

#14 ·
Just had the dealer do mine at 66000 miles for $250 with coupon. Fluid exchange is the way way to go!
I tow yearly.

#16 ·
This is a video i found recently for a land cruiser, similar if not identical tranny. the interesting thing is when he drops the pan and changes out the filter. the dealer would not normally do this during a transmission service. another reason to DIY. toyota makes these cars easy to work on, might as well just do it yourself, see that its done right and complete. you'll get more fluid out than the dealer too.

I dont necessary agree with this dude disconnecting the return line for the pump, but dropping the pan and changing the filter would prob be more than sufficient.

#17 ·
I had the dealership change mine at 60k. They charged around $250. I noticed an improvement on the smoothness of the transmission. I do tow a 6500 lb travel trailer about half the time. One dealership did not want to do the service and insisted I wait till over 100k. Went to a different dealership. For me it was money well spent since I tow a lot in the mountains of the west and hot deserts of the southwest.

#18 ·
Service Confusion

Is Toyota Service saying don't touch the tranny at all until after 100k miles? I bought mine used at 58k miles and the service records for the previous 58k were complete from toyota service at dealership, but no mention of tranny service. I have 120k on my tranny now and I want to keep my truck as long as possible. Should I let my mechanic do a drain and fill, or go to dealership for fluid exchange. They quoted to replace fluid, clean pan and strainer, and new gasket for around 375.00.

I don't tow or haul much at all just the regular dad stuff of the garbarge cans and the rare load of lumber from the big box store.

#19 ·
Is Toyota Service saying don't touch the tranny at all until after 100k miles? I bought mine used at 58k miles and the service records for the previous 58k were complete from toyota service at dealership, but no mention of tranny service. I have 120k on my tranny now and I want to keep my truck as long as possible. Should I let my mechanic do a drain and fill, or go to dealership for fluid exchange. They quoted to replace fluid, clean pan and strainer, and new gasket for around 375.00.

I don't tow or haul much at all just the regular dad stuff of the garbarge cans and the rare load of lumber from the big box store.
Take it to dealer and let them take care of it - $375 easy insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.