Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

AIP issues on a 2013

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Nole87 
#1 ·
So, I have read several threads on here about this issue but they were about tundras up to 2010. My check engine light came on the other day and since I am working out of town I decided to take to the nearest dealer. Tundra type is 2013 DC 2wheel 4.6. Anyway they took it back to run the diagnostics and called me to the service desk. The guy started explaining about the EPA and the emision set up for the air injectors for the cats and that mine were now not working. After he told me the price to repair I thought I was being screwed. So, came home looked on here to find there were some issues up to 2010 but nothing on the 2013 I decided to call Toyota today.
The lady was very nice while telling me that there has been no recall on my model type about this issue. WTH..
Has anyone else that has a 2013 had this issue? Did you just suck it up and pay or were you able to get it covered and how?

Thanks.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#3 ·
Yeah i get installing the bypass. The parts I'm not understanding is the limp mode which I am not having issues with. Also, wasn't this issue supposed to be solved by 2013? And the biggest one is I can't find anything on the 4.6 having this problem.
The big issue for me is I have been trying to find a newer truck and trade this one in.

#4 ·
Limp mode will only occur with some of the DTC codes such as P2241, P2442.
As far as it being fixed, that's what Toyota says but the dealers still see issues periodically. They fixed it just enough so that they don't fail while under warranty.
Can't say that I have ever heard of a 4.6 with the AIP issues, but there aren't a whole lot of those out there either.

#5 ·
My 2012 crewman 4.6L with 66k miles check engine light came on yesterday. Pulled code P4221 and figured I'd do some more research before doing anything because truck was running normally. Today "trac off" came on with an obvious loss in power. Pulled codes again and got P2441 and P2440.

Trying to decide if I should bother fixing it or just get they by-pass. Having hard time finding anyone thats done the by-pass on a 4.6. Is there any chance it a) couldn't work or b) could mess something else up?

I know cost to repair this issue has decreased but dealership wants close to 800 to replace switching valve I can get pay for around 200 I think. Should I replace the valve myself or just get the bypass kit?

#6 ·
With the track record they have with aip issues, and the fact that they affect epa/emissions, if you squeak hard enough you should be able to get plenty of grease... Depending on miles however.

Epa doesn't **** around. Most emissions items are covered for 8 years or xxxxxx miles. You can look in the manual and bring that up if need be. Some dealers are asshats and try to not cover stuff.

On one of the f350's at work, one dealer tried to charge us for a coil repair. The coil connector burn't out. They charged us for a coil, and the connector and $400 labor.

We had to call and bitch and it was covered. Bad thing is that the dealer shouldn't have charged us in the first place as the truck had less than 50k on it. 2 years old. And coils are listed under emissions items covered for 80k or xx miles.

And the labor charge to unbolt a coil and splice in a connector was ridiculous. The other dealer we have relations to said they tried to charge double what it should be at per-pay and triple what warranty was.

Sorry for the extended post.

Tldr version: Emission items are covered for longer than other items, and even if you are over miles, with enough talking/bitching, and phone dialing/calling, they should be able to get it covered.

#7 ·
Thanks I'll try and push a little harder but from what I've read. EPA mandate says 2yr / 24k miles performance warranty meaning everything that would cause a vehicle to not pass inspection is covered there. Then a performance warranty for 8yr / 80k and which certain major components are covered. Mainly catalytic converter, ecu, and obd systems. I'm not 100% sure that these stupid pumps and valves whould be covered under that. But for the prices we pay for these trucks, they should be if you ask me. Mine only has 66k miles!!! The thing is practically still new.

#8 ·
I just found this post- my truck (2013 4.6l 2x4) went into line mode this morning. Trac off and check engine - I'm going to raise hell if this isn't covered under warranty. Truck has 57,600 miles on it. I have an appointment at the dealership in the morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.