Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

High RPM on Start up

10K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  tundraglide 
#1 ·
2008 Crew: I live in the desert, so it is not very cold, yet when I start up the 5.7 in the morning,(78 degrees) it shoots to 1,500 rpms about 1 minute, then to 1,200 after about 2 minutes.I went up to cold country,(cold for me), and it was 46 degrees, 5.7 shot to 2,000 rpms for about 2minutes. Very long and hard for startup..anyone else having this potential problem?

#3 ·
It's normal. It does that to get the engine and tranny warm faster and to heat up the cats quickly for emissions standards.

#4 ·
I live in Idaho and even in the afternoon when its hot my truck will do the same startup routine reving high when first started. I guess this is normal because even the trucks at the dealership do the same, and according to the dealer, its part of the warmup process for the engine and emissions system.

#12 ·
If the temp drops down some at night then you should at least start the truck and let it idle for 30 seconds to even a mins before putting it in gear just to let everything warm up and get oil going to all parts of the motor and tranny. When at my lake house, North GA mountains, the temp drops well below freezing in the winter and I always let the motor run for a mins to even 2 mins or so for the first start of the day.

#14 ·
same thing always happens with me on cold starts i wait for about 30 seconds and the rpm drops slowly. its alwayz best never to start driving as soon as u start ur truck from a cold start. starting at cold start is most critical as u should wait for it to lube up

#15 ·
I don't think it makes much difference if you take it easy. I live in a 25mph neighborhood so I'm driving slow for the first few minutes. With all synthetic lubricants, moving parts are coated even if sitting for a few days. I just don't believe in letting a car or truck warm up for several minutes sitting in a driveway. It's a waste of gas. 10 seconds is plenty of time.

#17 ·
People have gotten into the habit of "warming" up motors from them being carburated. Now that they are injected there is no need to "warm" up.... that is what I'm told by a good friend that builds motors. I, however, still warm mine up. But he does have a point. Idle in the driveway has the motor at 1500 rpms. Driving down your neighborhood street you will probably not exceed that rpm anyways. Also, if it wasn't safe for the motor to hit 1500 rpms when it was cold, the manufacturer wouldn't build it that way to warm it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.