Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

water pump

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  JohnnyRo 
#1 ·
Changed the water pump on my 2010 today. It was awful, will never do it again. That is all.

#2 ·
Bless your soul for doing that job. Funny story, my leaking water pump is actually how I met my wife. Took the truck in to get serviced before a road trip and found out about the water pump leaking. Had them replace it (under warranty) and to pass the time I went to the mall near by where I met my now wife.

Moral of the story. Let the dealership have that headache (if its under warranty) hahaha

Reactions: Les_Paul
#3 ·
pics or it didn't happen...

#5 ·
Mines got about 118000 on it and has been leaking for a while now. I just couldn't bring my self to pay the stealership over $600 to do it. The pump cost me $85 and it took about 6 hours.

#6 ·
That's funny, I just replaced my water pump today also. Just under 79000 miles on the truck. It was a pain but I wouldn't pay anyone the ridiculous rates they charge to do it. Replaced the radiator hoses and thermostat while I was at it.

#10 ·
I went ahead and replaced the thermostat, serpentine belt, and idler pulley while I was in there. Was going to replace the tensioner as well but I couldn't get it off. I couldn't get the hex bolt out of the middle. When I started it up this morning to head to work I noticed a squeak and it was still doing it when I got to work. Guess I'll have to figure that out now.

#13 ·
I got this from the one and only YouTube video I could find. Trace the outline of the pump on a cardboard box and punch holes through all the bolt holes. As you take the bolts out of the pump place them in there location on the box. There are 3 or 4 different bolt sizes and they all need to go back exactly where they came from. The biggest pain in the @ss for me was the little 2-3 inch piece of hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the metal power steering line. A bolt for the thermostat housing is directly behind that piece of hose. It was a PIA getting it off and also putting it back on. Not really a tip because I couldn't figure out a way to make it any easier. Just letting you know it's a bitch.

#15 ·
The power steering line is held in place by two 10mm bolts. If you remove them it makes it a little bit easier because you can move the line around a bit. Still a PIA though.

Reactions: Kid_402
#17 ·
I got mine off of ebay. Its an Aisin pump. They make the OEM pump so it's essentially the exact same just doesn't say Toyota on it. Not sure about other brands. I wouldn't get it from the dealer though. Who knows how much they would charge.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#21 ·
I just changed my waterpump last week. I noticed a small leak... Any tips? What should I torque the bolt to? I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow and trace the leak. I haven't confirmed if it's the waterpump or a hose, grrr...

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#22 ·
Well, the dealer just called me (truck is in for oil change) and they noticed my water pump is leaking. Estimated cost...$1,000!!! Seriously???? They also wanted to change out my cargo and third brake lights (which worked pretty damn good yesterday) for $60. Goodness sakes. Guess I'll be doing this soon.

#23 ·
Did they fix this obvious design flaw in the Aisin pump for the 3rd Gen, 2014 and up? I'm assuming they did not. Mine went at about 83k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.