Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Transmission Fluid Change issues

10K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  Paul Hammer 
#1 · (Edited)
did the ATF fluid change today but ran into a small problem....

When I went to recheck my fluid I was not sure if I needed to pin back the transmission fluid cooler like we had to when cycling the fluid through... my assumption was not, but I did not see mention of when I should take the pin out on the DIY youtube video and do not recall anything specific on this step on the discussion forum. when I checked my fluid the first time I had the pin pulled.

thanks guys, I am sure this question is amateur to most of you.

#4 ·
Got a response that made perfect sense... the pin needs to be in so that the fluid throughout the entire system is uniform and in temp in the checking "zone"...

#5 ·
Lordy almighty, my dealership wants $8 for the crusher washers on the transmission plugs. What in the world makes them so expensive? Dealership ferry dust or are they very specialized for Toyota?

Reactions: NWATundra
#7 ·
Well in the excitement of changing my fluid yesterday the check plug washer went mia... will a 10mm copper crush washer work? Or will I have to make the trip and pay the stealership?

#9 ·
Crying? No.... but when i have multiple washers here and would not have to make an hour trip i would prefer to save some dough. If it's crucial to get the Toyota washer i will take my happy ass up there.

#13 ·
It was more shock, curiosity and confusion than "crying"... maybe your personality cannot pick up on the differences... who knows or cares.

I went ahead and put the copper washer on I already had and double checked my fluid level... I should be good to go. I will monitor the plug for a while just in case.

thank you to all that provided helpful and constructive advice.

#19 ·
I can afford my truck. I bought it new in 2012 for around 23k... nowhere near 50...

The main point of my post about the price of the washer was because i thought, maybe, just maybe, there was a reason for the higher than average price for their washer. I dont know these machines anywhere near as much as 90% of the very helpful and insightful members here. I wanted to make sure there was nothing "special" about the washer/gasket that warranted that price is all. If i made it sound like i couldn't afford 8 bucks you read it wrong. I just wanted to know what the damn difference was from the dealership washer and the local wal mart ones.

I understand the dealerships aren't designed to be a parts store and want to discourage most of us from doing our own work but i just wanted to check with the knowledgeable folks here before i screwed up and put the wrong washer on my truck.

#24 ·
I only asked if these washers were specialized in any shape or fashion to warrant such a price. Sounds like you didn't recognize or comprehend the true point of my post so you took it as crying or whining.

I feel sorry for your co-workers and family if that is how you address questions.

Troll on!

#26 ·
you guys prefer cotton socks, polyester or a blend? thinking about asking santa for a couple of pairs of blends, probably in black, just over the ankle...thoughts?

#39 ·
This is to the OP

How much did this DIY trans fluid change cost in

A) Cash
B) Time
C)Hassle
D) Stress

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#43 ·
Has anyone on here tried the Lucas Transmission Fix stuff that you just add to your transmission? Trying to decide on doing a full flush at the dealer or just drain the pan in my driveway and fill it back up myself. My transmission seems to have a slight slip/rough start when starting from stop or a rolling start. Have read many great reviews about this stuff online but just wondering if anyone on here has actually used it in their tundras?

Transmission Fix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.