Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Weird problem

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  cmala3 
#1 ·
I have something weird going on.

Dash lights on.... Vsc off flashing, traction control on, air bag on, passenger seatbelt light flashing even when seat belt fastened.

12v power receptacles not working but j have power at the fuse.

Key fob quit working.

Door lock button only works when key is turned On.

I'm thinking something is fried and the door lock circuit is being back fed by the ACC circuit

I thought maybe a speed sensor but I don't have an ABS light. I did check my two rear speed sensors with an ohm meter and one read 5k and the other 5 mega ohms so I'm still suspecting it but at $150 each I'm reluctant to just swap it out.

No engine codes, engine light is not on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I had a loose rear wheel right before this happened and I also installed a backup camera into the factory wiring harness right before this happened. Camera worked fine but I unhooked the monitor and camera while I troubleshoot this.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Truck doesn't recognize when a door is open except when the key is on. Interior light does not come on when you open the door. Only when you turn the switch on or turn on the key.

Cargo light only comes on with the key. Switch does not turn it on.

#8 ·
I

I had a loose rear wheel right before this happened and I also installed a backup camera into the factory wiring harness right before this happened. Camera worked fine but I unhooked the monitor and camera while I troubleshoot this.

Thanks
A loose rear wheel? How did that happen? Did these issues start immediately after the camera install? You say you unhooked the camera and the monitor but did you undo any wiring work that you may have done?

#9 ·
Camera install consisted of plugging in the monitor to the plug in the overhead console and plugging the camera into the plug near the spare tire.

The camera worked correctly but I have disconnected it for now.

Not sure how the loose rear wheel happened except maybe I didn't tighten the nuts enough when I put my wheels on. I noticed this problem after I hooked up the camera right before I left work. When I got home I realized I had a broke off stud and the remaining nuts on the left rear wheel were loose allowing the wheel to wobble.

Im suspecting something electrical got fried due to the camera install but I don't know where to look.

#10 ·
I don't trust my local dealership so I'm afraid if I take it to them they will tell me I need a new computer or something.

Does anyone have a link to any electrical diagrams for this truck?

Maybe if I can trace back the 12 Aux power circuit I can find something since I don't have power at the outlets but the fuse has power.

#12 ·
Sounds like camera shorted out something. Check ALL fuses, ALL of them.

#13 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I pulled every fuse in the box under drivers side dash and under the hood on drivers side and checked them with a meter.

Well, I pulled all the single blade fuses and checked them. I just visually looked at the big square fuses.

I didn't find anything blown.

Any other places I can look?

#14 ·
I know you already went through all the fuses, but I would go back through all of them again with an ohm meter/multimeter. Remove each one and check and of course, check them on a non conductive surface. Sometimes a visual check will not reveal an open fuse.

#15 ·
My first check was with a multimeter. Pulled each fuse and tested for continuity. The only ones I checked visually were the large square ones. I couldn't get hold of them with my pliers to pull them out.

I think I've ruled out the speed sensor. I had one sensor giving me a very high resistance reading. I unplugged this sensor and saw the 4HI and 4LO and ABS lights come on.

Then I connected a potentiometer to the wiring harness and adjusted the resistance to 1000 ohms. I was back at where I started. Then I adjusted the resistance down pretty low and ABS and 4HI and 4LO all came on again. I'm thinking that this tells me that the speed sensor is not the cause of my problems. I hooked it back up, drove around to clear the ABS alarm and I'm back to the beginning of this thread again.

I guess I"ll have to purchase the wiring diagrams for this truck. Since I don't have power on the 12v outlets, I need to trace that circuit back and find out why.

#18 ·
I forgot to say that replacing that fuse cleared all the lights that were on.

Everything is back to normal now.

I'll have to hook up the camera again and see if the fuse blows but if it does, at least I know what I'm looking for.

What are the odds that of all the fuses that I checked with the meter that I miss the one that is the source of my problem.

Anyway, moving on now. Got my winch wired up tonight and now I need to wire up my 4 fog lights and my light bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.