Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

<500 miles after last service, they want to tear down engine

659 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  l1tech 
#1 ·
2008 tundra 5.7 2wd, 101k mi

Had my air injection pumps go out in Feb. Got that taken care of without problem - inspection didn't reveal anything which I was told about today

Today, I got new tires. They found LF shock leaking "badly" ($400), and a leaky timing cover ($3,500 w/ labor). Took the truck home without fixing either, wanted to research the problems first.

Could these two (expensive) problems crop up in less than 500 miles of driving? No accidents or anything.

More to the point, did they screw something up with the air injection replacement? Did they have to move any parts which would've affected LF shock or timing cover?

#2 · (Edited)
Nothing they did caused your problems. It's not always somebody else's fault. If the front shock is indeed leaking, which wouldn't surprise me esp if they are the OE shocks, get those replaced, the rears are probably due also if they are original. IF your not seeing any oil on the ground then I would have the area where the timing cover is supposedly leaking cleaned up and then have it monitored during your normal oil changes. It may just be buildup from sweating which doesn't warrant fixing in my opinion.

And $3500 to replace the timing cover gasket is absurd. Book time is only 12 hours for that and there aren't many parts involved unless they are quoting you to replace the timing chains and everything else they touch when they take the timing cover off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.