Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 Brake Controller problems

176K views 404 replies 78 participants last post by  2011TundraInMe 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra CM Limited 4x4.

A little over a month ago we purchased a Work and Play 19efb, toy hauler. The trailer has electric brakes.

When the brake controller is in the electric brake mode, I get no brake output or very little output at level 10 on the gain control. I can manually stop the trailer using the Manuel squeeze levers and the brakes stop the trailer and truck, but will not work by using the brake pedal at any speed.

If I put the brake controller in the hydrolic brake mode, the brakes work by the brake pedal but grab instantly at only a gain level of (.5)

Is there anyone else on here that is having the same issue, or has been able to get the issue fixed. The dealership is lost.

Thank you for everyone's time and help.

#3 · (Edited)
The technician hook the trailer up to a Sequoia and the brakes work normal. Then attached it to another new 2016 Tundra SR5 and that tundra had the same issue and it did not operate the brakes in electric mode.

I've had it in 4 times for it to get worked on for this issue, and even with the Toyota Tech coming to check it out was unable to come up with a solution.

Was told a case was opened with Toyota, but who knows if they will come up with a fix anytime soon. Thus I have a truck with Toyota brake controller that won't do what is designed to do, leaving everyone towing with electric brakes in danger, due to the lack of brake control.

#4 ·
I have not used ours for towing yet. Is anyone seeing successful operation of these controllers?

Reactions: Keywestgator
#5 ·
im curious too. Just installed mine but haven't towed with it yet.

#7 ·
Also have a 2016, but I have not towed anything yet. Consider me subscribed.

#8 ·
I have the factory installed controller and have a few thousand miles towing with it. It does not brake very agressivly at all even at the maxed out setting. If you use the manual slider you can get some very agressive braking, like locked trailer tires. I guess it's just the way it's programmed. I have noticed that it releases the brakes when you come to a complete stop.

I have gone through the manual a few times and haven't found any helpful information.

I have electric brakes, I haven't tried the other setting yet but I will now. I'll let you know.

#12 ·
I have a 4500 lb travel trailer (electric brakes) that I was towing with a 2003 4.7L Tundra and and a P3 brake controller. I am now towing with a 2016 with the integrated brake controller. My experience is that the integrated brake controller requires a higher gain setting for the same braking power; different systems and the P3 was much more sensitive and tunable

I would verify the following:
1. the wiring function from the tow vehicle matches the function on the trailer harness.
2. check the brake adjustment on the trailer if it does not have automatic adjusters.

was the trailer purchased new or used? Here is the wiring sequence for the Toyota as you are looking into the receptacle on the bumper, you can verify these positions with a test light and a helper.

Auto part Clutch part Automotive brake part Automotive wheel system Vehicle brake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Follow up from this week. I just got the Tundra back from Toyota service for the forth time yesterday. The brake controller programming on the 2016 Tundras is the issue, not the trailer. Toyota sent two tech/program individuals to check, drive and get multiple readings from my truck while towing the camper around town and on the highway.

The service department then plugged in an aftermarket Tekonsha P3 controller and did the same testing. The Tundra trailer brakes work great with the Tekonsha controller, but do not work with the factory controller.

It appears that the brake controller will work with some brakes but not all, so be careful till the fix is issued with a possible recall for reprogramming.

I purchased the Tekonsha P3 at there cost and had them leave it in my Tundra so I have brake control.

If you desire to go this route, you unplug the factory controller and plug the Tekonsha Tundra adapter where the factory controller was plugged in. You will get a "check brake controller error" on the dash screen. If you disconnect the battery cable for about 30 seconds and reattach it the error will go way and not come back up.

I preferred to be safe and use the Tekonsha P3 instead of waiting for who knows how long for a fix to be issued from Toyota.

#16 ·
Well shucks.

#17 ·
From some of the rumors I heard. There was a major quality control issue with the original controller (hence why the 15's didn't get it) and this one probably got rushed in for the 16 model year

#19 ·
subscribed, don't have a trailer yet, but this sure puts a downer on what I thought was a really nice addition.

#22 ·
Same issue with mine. Bought mine from cool springs Toyota and installed in a 2015 CM SR5 4x4. I pull a Jayco 222 octane and have the same problem as above. I cannot not tow on electric setting...I will not activate the trailer brakes.

#23 ·
Please keep us informed if Toyota comes up with a fix. I just bought a 2016 and one of the main reasons was the integrated brake controller...so I am super hopeful it works on my trailer. I will update when I get it out of storage in May.

#24 ·
subscribed. I'll have the trailer out in a few weeks.

#26 · (Edited)
Sub'd as well. I own a trailer but haven't pulled it yet with my Tundra.

However, I pulled my trailer (2011 Rockwood Roo 233S) down from OK to TX with my brother-in-law's TRD Pro and I was amazed at how high we had to set the gain (8.0 if memory serves). In my 08' Suburban w/P2, I never had to go higher then 4.5 braking. Weird.

Hope there is a solution soon.

EDIT: On a side note, we were running 70mph @2,000rpm averaging about 12-13mpg pulling my Roo. Not bad, considering the Burb was around 9-10mpg's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.