Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Fuel pump replacement?

16K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray72484 
#1 ·
So my truck decided to die on me this morning. I was driving and went to accelerate and nothing happened. I was able to pull over. In the area that I live in there are DOTD trucks that help people out that breakdown. He was able to spray something under the hood that made it possible to start the truck. But he said that there was probably no fuel going to the engine. And he said it is most likely my fuel pump. Anybody know if this is my problem or could it be something else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Were you able to drive it home after you started it? If your fuel pump was shot it most likely wouldn't stay running. It is possible that you may have a partially clogged fuel intake filter on the fuel pump, it's the only filter in the system. Changing the filter requires you to drop the tank. Any CEL codes? What year is your vehicle, miles and do you do regular maintenance?

#4 · (Edited)
I'm assuming you have a 07+. Try to listen for the fuel pump coming on by putting your ignition on but do not start. Can you hear your pump running? It's a long shot but try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and see if it corrects itself.

Check the fuel pump relay in the engine bay panel. Check the fuse panel in the cab for the fuel pump, EFI 1&2,ETCS, ECU B1 fuses and the fuel pump ECU connection (by the fuel tank).

I have changed my fuel pump 3 times, upgraded to higher output. The fuel pump is not hard to swap out but requires you to drop the tank to remove the fuel pump canister and disassemble for pump replacement. The filter could also be clogged and requires the pump to come out anyways since it is in the fuel pump canister.
You can download the Supercharger installation instruction for a detailed fuel pump replacement.
Good Luck!

#8 ·
Was going to ask if the gauge was working. The fuel sender contact strip could be worn or debris on it. Fill er up and see how much it takes.

#10 ·
If you have a partially clogged fuel pump filter it can starve fuel under load. But run alright when at idle or light load. Maybe not fill up all the way if you do have to drop the tank

#14 ·
No it wouldn't clean it. If that is even the problem. Not sure what you have tried and need a starting point to troubleshoot, easy to hard. It does happen but not often the filter gets clogged as Jon pointed out. Did you drive it? You need to be a bit more detailed as I am just giving info based solely upon the fuel pump. If that's even an issue.

#15 ·
I do run it low sometimes. I usually don't let it get below a 1/4 tank. It ran fine coming home. It started with no problems. This is what happened. I was driving on interstate and went to accelerate and nothing. The engine I believe continued to run I am not sure. I was to freaked out with the situation to remember. When I pulled over I tried to start it again and nothing. The engine was trying to start but did not. After trying a few times I guess the battery went dead because than all it did was a clicking noise when I tried to start it. When I tried to jump it the engine was trying to turn over again but that was it. I put gas in it this morning and jumped it and it started and ran. I was able to rev the engine. I came back an hour later and the clicking started again. So I jumped it and let it sit for a few minutes and turned it off. I started it right after I turned it off and it started fine. I left it at my parents and had a friend bring me to get it and it started without needing a jump. It drove fine for the 20 miles that I had to drive it. I put a total of 5 gallons of gas in it this morning and the needle never moved. I am hoping that maybe the needle was just stuck. I had no hesitation when accelerating when I was driving it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Does sound like your sender may be worn or stuck. I have seen some 07's that have worn the resistor where it was not making good contact. Try filling it and see if it moves. If it does not move you would have to drop the tank to get the fuel canister. Also keep track of your mileage if the gauge is not responsive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.