Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Sticking door handles?

14K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Kkelx4 
#1 ·
Anyone else have this happen? It's such a minor annoyance but I'm not sure if it's a sign some mechanism is failing inside the handle or what. Just looking to make sure my door handle isnt going to come off in my hand one day lol.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine had that problem and found out that the screw that holds the door mechanism was stripped. My local dealership changed out the screw (used a longer screw) and the problem never returned. That was a few years ago. I am not saying that is the problem. Just one thing to check.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help gents I'll start trying some of those when it's not raining.

#7 ·
I took my 2013 tundra in to the dealership they stated there was an issue with the doorhandles and ordered me a brand-new handles and I get them put on next week under warranty. My doorhandles we're sticking open on both sides and they stated that they are having a hard time getting the handles because there's a lot of tundras that have bad doorhandles, and on back order.

#8 ·
Yep... What trdunn said

#9 ·
That is funny now that I read this, because I had some work done on my 13 CM and when I left the dealership I turned left onto the street and the left rear door flew open. Scared the daylights out of me. Pulled over and got out and shut it, checking to make sure it was latched. Guess I need to check with the dealership and ask what is going on.

#13 ·
The cover around the lock can be removed by opening the door and first removing the small black cover that hides the screw near the door handle. Inside the door near the handle is a screw that can be loosened (it is restrained in place and will not fall inside the door once loosened). This screw holds the plastic cover around the keyhole. Once this cover is removed the door handle can be removed by 'sliding' it out nearly parallel to the door panel. There is a small gasket under the keyhole cover that should be retained.

Once the door handle is removed the contact points should be visible which can be greased to allow a much smoother pull on the handle.

The pieces are easy to reinstall and this is accomplished by simply reversing the above instructions.

#15 ·
I realize this is a 5 year old thread but i did one more thing that wasn't here to conpletely alleviate the sticking.

On my 2010 i noticed that on the lock assembly, there's a small tab that applies pressure to the handle. I found it after removing and greasing the handle, and testing showed it to be performing fine. But when i screwed the lock assembly back in the problem appeared again. So i pulled the lock and filed down the sections of the lock casting closest to the handle. Lubed it up, popped it in, voila! No problems since. Same thing to the passenger side which is just a matching plastic trim tab and now no sticking whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.