Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TPMS Fault -- Occasionally

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mrunion 
#1 ·
First, a tad of brief background. Bought an '07 Tundra Double-Cab (nice truck!) from a national, no-haggle car dealership on Feb 7th this year. This is my second vehicle from that same dealership in 7 years. My Tundra has a 30 day warranty.

Last Saturday (14th) while driving, the TPMS light started flashing, then stayed on solid. After arriving at my destination (about 5 minutes later) I turned off the truck. I then turned it right back on, and the light still flashed and stayed on.

We went on with our business, and I was going to get things checked on Monday. After another 15-20 minutes of driving, the light went off. I brushed it off as an just something weird.

Fast forward to the present. The light has done the same thing on different days 3 more times. I have called the dealer where I bought the truck and they said they will make it right. They are 100 miles away, so I don't want to go down there for nothing. What we (the dealer and I) want to try is reading the computer to see if there are any codes stored that may help diagnose the issue.

My question(s):

1) The TPMS codes are dealer codes, right? The parts store said they can't read those codes, only the dealer can.
2) Have any of you had major issues with the TPMS system itself? We're thinking it's just a sensor having an issue (old battery, etc.). What are the chances of it being a major failure in the system somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Since I only have just under 2 weeks left on my warranty, I want to take care of this if I can.

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you saying you're getting ECU trouble code or are you saying the low tire pressure light it flashing and then stops flashing after you drive it?

Well... if its the latter.... then its a easy answer. A tire or tires are slightly low on pressure....and when you drive..... the pressure goes up. Thus, the light goes off.

It could also be that the spare tire is low and as the temp heats up during the day. It will go out as well. I've had both to happen. Just had to have my spare topped off the last time I was at the dealer.

#3 ·
Thanks for looking at this.

For more clarification, here is the exact sequence of events:

1) In the vehicle, driving down the road, TPMS light off.
2) At some random time, TPMS light flashes for about 1 minute, then stays light solid.
3) TPMS light will stay on solid from 15 minnutes to an hour. (Turning the truck off and restarting it does not matter here. If the light is on when the truck is off, it will be on when the truck is restarted.)
4) Light will then turn off after 15 minutes to an hour.

This latest time this occurred, the light has been off for two days now. But if the past week is any indicator, it will come on again at some point.

According to the owners manual, when it flashes for one minute, then stays on solid, it is an error condition with the TPMS system, not an indication of low tire pressure.

#4 ·
Okay. Just make sure your tire pressure is right on all the tires and the spare.

I can tell you from experience. (had a tire place break a value on my 07).... you want the dealer to program the new TPMS value... if that is the problem. Don't let someone else do it. They told me its a rather complicated process to program a new value into an existing system. At least... that is what they told me.

#5 ·
I have a very similar issue. Started right after I had the sensors switched to my new wheels and my new tires mounted. It is most likely a bad senser. I replaced 2 of mine and the issue was resolved. I replaced the 2 that gave me trouble comming out of the old rims. You or the dealership should be able to tell which one is bad with techstream.

#7 ·
1) The TPMS codes are dealer codes, right? The parts store said they can't read those codes, only the dealer can.
2) Have any of you had major issues with the TPMS system itself? We're thinking it's just a sensor having an issue (old battery, etc.). What are the chances of it being a major failure in the system somewhere?
TPMS sensor batteries are only good for 5-7 years. Chances are you have one or a couple with bad batteries. You can't replace the batteries, you have to replace the whole sensor. Good thing the dealer will cover it, they charge about $80-$100 per sensor. You can buy the sensors on ebay for about $20-$25 though.

Each sensor has a code number printed on it. The dealer enters that number into the TPMS ECU using Techstream (Toyota software).

The other option is to find a good tire shop that has a TMPS sensor scanner. The scanner can read the code number through the tire without dismantling it. After all the codes are read, the scanner is connected to the OBD port and the codes are loaded into the ECU.

#8 ·
I bought an 07 DBL cab in 2012 and had the same thing. Sometimes the light is on and sometimes it is off. Occasionally the tires may be a little low. I'm just waiting until I need new tires before I mess with it.

#9 ·
Sorry for not reporting in sooner -- the tire pressure checked out fine when I checked the tires. I also tend to think it's a sensor(s) going dead.

I will see about getting the sensors checked.

#11 ·
I have an appointment with the dealer I bought the car from on Monday morning. They said they will make it right. Love this place. Only drawback is it's 100 miles West of me in Knoxville. But for service like this, it's definitely worth it!

Thanks for the help guys!

#12 ·
Programming new sensor id's into the tpms ecu is very easy, no need to go to the dealer for this. Also the Tundra has never had a sensor in the spare tire. if I'm not mistaken Toyota stopped putting sensors in the spares quite some time ago on all of their vehicles.

#17 ·
My 2007 Limited Crew Max started having same issue with TPMS warning now and again. Batteries are good for only about 7 years; bought a new set on Ebay under $60 for all four and had them installed and programmed at Americas Tires for $64. All is well now, no more flashing lights for hopefully another 7 years. Good Luck

#18 ·
Update:

Yesterday (3/2) I had an appointment with the dealer. Took the truck back, they found front right pressure sensor in wheel was going bad. Replaced it, no charge. Awesome!

Thanks for all the input, guys!

#20 ·
The dealer themselves never mentioned the spare tire itself as having a sensor. That was just advice a few people were bantering around.

My apologies if I gave the impression that the dealer themselves mentioned this as a possible cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.