Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

stuck in 4 x 4 low

44K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Tim Price 
#1 · (Edited)
After driving home last night in the rain/ice mix, i backed LaTundra up the driveway for the night. This morning after de-icing it and ready for an icey drive to work, i put it into drive and my 4x4 low light was blinking and the TRAC off light and check engine light was on. i thought it might be just be cold and wet and freezing thing but after rolling out of my driveway the truck WAS in fact in LOW gear:eek: I didn't use any 4 x 4 option last night. What could possibly cause this??? Surely Tundra drivers in the northern states could possibly have had this issue. LaTundra is 3yrs old and has giving me zero issues at this point. i put it back in the drive and started de-icing the wifey's vehicle to go to work. Could the ice buildup somewhere underneath somehow make the truck engage into 4 X 4 LOW ??? if so what percautionary measures should i take?

#2 ·
Did you accidentally hit the 4x4 low button. The directions for disengaging should be over your sun visor. Believe it or not sonar people forget how to get out of. 4 Low. I did many years ago since I hardly ever used it.

#3 ·
i have a 12 model crewmax platinum and you have to turn switch to 4HI then push in and turn again to engage into 4 x 4 low. Also it seems a lil odd that it would be engaged since i have not even used the 4 x 4 HI since deer hunting seaon last year and even then i have not used 4 x 4 low.

#4 ·
You have to put it into neutral to shift in and out of 4low. Try turning the knob to 4 high then shift to neutral until the light stops flashing.

#5 ·
Have you tried just bumping it back and forth and switching from 4lo to 4hi? Sometimes thing s happen.

Shocked that this happened bug you said you haven't used 4wd in a while. 12's a lil different from my 06 but try bumping it in your driveway not at road speed.

#13 ·
Lever and manual hubs would solve many of these problems, especially for no more than the 4WD is use for many of us, the electronic stuff is pretty stupid especially in what Toyota tries to pass off as more of a heavy duty truck course a solid front axle would be nice as well.

Anyhow:

Shift from any position to or from 4Lo you need to be 100% stopped, shift the transmission to neutral, then shift the transfer case to the desired position, wait for the shift to complete and then shift back to the desired gear. Missing or skipping any of these steps will result in an incomplete shift leaving the truck in whatever position it was in prior. It will also beep at you if its not right, at least mine does. If its really cold you may have to drive the truck a little bit to warm it up for it to shift properly.

I've had a few harsh winters here in Idaho, and I've never had an issue with the 4WD the twice I've actually used it...up till this year I've always had another truck so the tundra's 4WD gets used maybe once or twice a year at the most. I don't even do that stupid 10 miles a month in 4WD nonsense.

#16 ·
I sure agree with that...

The shift process from 2wd to 4wd HI is so slow that by the time you realize you need it and attempt the shift--you are already too late and you are stuck...

It is the WORST shifting procedure that I have ever dealt with. I have driven 4wd's since 1978...

Good-luck...BCB

#11 ·
I think the light keeps flashing. I didn't try driving while it was flashing so I'm not sure.

#17 ·
If the light is flashing when you attempt to engage the 4wd from 2wd, you are still in 2wd...

If the light is flashing when you attempt to disengage the 4wd to 2wd, you are still in 4wd...

Definitely one of the lousiest systems I have ever dealt with...

Good-luck...BCB

#14 ·
My 08 beeps if you don't get it right, I hadn't used 4 lo before and tried going into it while in park. Took it out, shifted to neutral, and back to 4 lo with no beeping and no problems. Don't think I can help with just the flashing lights though.

Tetonjeep, is the truck actually in 4 lo, or just blinking lights?

#15 ·
youngandfree, It is in 4LO. We had a bad ice storm down here and i wonder if it's the ice shorting out a sensor somewhere. i wish it would fit in my garage to thaw it out and check again before crutching it to the dealership. i just keeps getting colder here!! Grrr

#20 ·
I am new to the board here, and I was just today experiencing this same issue in my 13 Tacoma, I believe what y’all said about the ECM going to limp mode to be correct. What I did to get mine out of 4Lo was to stop the truck in 4Lo, shift to Neutral, turn truck off, wait a second, start truck back up, and while still in neutral, switch back to 4Hi then to 2wd.
Hopefully this will help someone if they’re in a pickle like I was lol. Also sorry to revive an old thread, I appreciate the knowledge from the board, as I’m back on the road again and not stuck in 4Lo going 20mph!😄