Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Toyota has no idea what's wrong with my 2014 Tundra

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Powertechn2 
#1 ·
I was in an accident last month. Finally got my truck back only to see it wasn't fixed all the way.

Told those fools that when I top my truck off, it shows 3/4 tank. They claimed it was the breather and gave the truck back to the body shop. They didn't even fill it to see if it fixed it. Got my truck back... still the same thing.

Through some kind of deal between the dealership (who did the tank work) and the body shop, I am in a loaner. Was told today they swapped the entire tank and the issue is still happening. They don't know exactly what's wrong and I may get my truck back Friday, but it's unlikely. They've had it since Monday.

Any one has any idea what the hell could be wrong??? Like I said, the truck is filling to the top. You can hear it and if you keep pumping, eventually it will fly out.

So damn annoyed. I had to bring it back to the body shop twice after it was "fixed" for miscellaneous bullshit and now this.

#5 ·
So that rules out the arm on the sending unit if it was in fact replaced.
Electrical or wiring issue would most likely throw a fault code somewhere or not allow it to function?

Did you drive it enough to see if the gauge actually dropped accordingly?
Maybe the arm on the new sending unit was not assembled correctly?

#8 ·
Im guessing its something along those lines. Not sure if the tundra has an actual arm with a float on it, I know some vehicles just have a float that moves up and down vertically attached to the pickup, pump and all that. could be a bad part, damaged during install or just installed improperly.

#9 ·
Only sure fire way to solve this is to ensure they really did replace the sending unit in the tank and not just say they did, also check all electrical connections and wires. My guess and experience with some body shops even dealer shops is there is a big difference in what they say they did and what was really done. Also another thing to consider is they used the correct parts for a 2014 and not put an earlier model parts in there, not sure if the gas tanks are the same as previous years for 2014?

#10 ·
Is the needle broken :dunno:

#11 ·
Explain fender bender.. where was the damage? sure sounds like a sending unit to me too but if the frame rail/supports that hold the tank are damaged it could be positioning the tank at a angle. I hate to say it but unless its in "the book" some dealership techs have no clue how to trouble shoot. if you have a floor jack or a set of ramps you may be able to figure it out :)
Sending unit or gauge.

#14 ·
Does the needle start to drop as soon as you start driving on a full tank or not move till you have burnt a quarter tank? Seems like if it was a wiring issue it would drop right away but if it was the float it wouldn't drop until the fuel level dropped below the 3/4 mark. Just thinking out loud. Only issues I have encountered was a bad float which always showed empty and a bad ground which always showed past full.

Reactions: joe's toy
#15 ·
Ask for a parts list of what they replaced.

#16 ·
Disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Reactions: Millwright
#20 ·
They should have given you an itemized list for insurance reasons. To show they didn't just BS a bunch of stuff to get insurance money. I know when it happened to me they replaced a bunch of stuff that didn't need to be replaced. But I said screw it I was tired of dealing with Caliber Collision. They BS'd me the entire time my truck was in for a small fender bender.. Took them way to long to get it back to me also. Rant over.

#21 ·
A lot of newer fuel readers are going away from floats and to a system which reads the level by vapor. Meaning there is a tube with a small float and a sensor which reads the density of fuel vapor atoms... More empty means more atoms. Kinda goofy.

These can read funky for many reasons if it is that system.

I would guess they didn't actually replace the sending unit/pump.

I had a truck in the shop yesterday that was in a major front side collision, needed new uca/lca/steering gear box/rack/everything to do with steering on dr side including the knuckle. I found both front headlights broken. Had to call the shop and tell them. They also didn't notice the rear bumper and rear quarter were munched together.

LIkely the shop with said truck was just saying they replaced everything and broke them upon disassembly as the tabs were moved on the lights and bolts re-positioned in new locations on broken tabs.

I would find out what was really replaced, even if it meant dropping the tank or R&R the bed.

They missed something plain and simple, or didn't replace what they said they did. :/

#22 ·
Well here is the kicker. The truck was given back to me "fixed". The insurance company said they are no longer liable. Now it's the body shops warranty of work. The body shop is saying the Toyota dealership is liable because they didn't fix it when they said they did. I suppose the dealership accepted liability since they gave me a loaner Corolla.

All I know is I am using the shit out of this car with it's 40+ mpg. I am beginning to get nervous that they will start taking more and more shit apart.

#24 ·
The loaner car thing is what has kept me from losing my mind. My corolla was in the shop for almost 3 months because they couldn't get it right.
First loaner was a 200M but I drove the shit out of it. Second was a loaded up Explorer and I really drove the shit out of it.

In my heart of hearts, I knew they were keeping my car until it was fixed correctly so I didn't go crazy.

#26 ·
No but your point of impact is interesting though...I just got my truck back a couple of months ago after $18,000 in repairs and my damage looked FAR less than yours! Our frames are extremely soft at certain impacts and you sir got a bump right in the sweet spot. You need to check to see if the frame was "diamond'd". If the frame was bent and your shop simply applied some heat to bend it back...they screwed you there as well being that if you do that to our frames, you compromise the metal and now will be brittle in the area hear was applied! Nice truck sorry to see you go through this!

#28 ·
Have you asked another body shop about the issues? If I'm struggling with an issue I'll ask a few certified techs and get different inputs, usually one of them hits the nail on the head, so to speak. Wish I had a better answer but everyone else has already said everything I know.

My friend had a new transmission put in, and it was faulty or installed incorrectly and the transmission shop told him nothing they can do, its his problem, he gets lawyered up and his attorney sent the shop a letter. That's all it took for him to get his problems solved quickly.

Wish you luck! Very nice Tundra you have.

#29 ·
The body shop is the main repair shop and they sent it to the Toyota dealer, to you the body shop is responsible for the work. They should be working with the dealer to fix the issue but you should only have to deal with the body shop.

#34 ·
siphon that fuel out lol.

Likely you are missing fuel anyways. Unless they removed the bed, even then...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.