Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Another dead motor supercharged

6K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  superchargedalberta 
#1 · (Edited)

#3 ·
That really sucks. I'm surprised you would go as far as gutting cats while it's under warranty....especially since that's illegal even.

Maybe they won't notice. I would make the suggestion that it wasn't rebuilt correctly last time....a lot.

I don't think they could void warranty for high rpms.....the computer keeps you from overrevving so unless you bypassed that somehow, it should protect the motor. Now, if you held it on the limiter in neutral, that's different.

#4 · (Edited)
^^agree^^

You are at risk if you tuned it at all. And judging by your comments it is likely that you did. These are tough motors. Throwing a rod like that is extremely rare. Two low end engine failures that close together....you got that thing tuned or something. They are going to go over your truck with a fine tooth comb for sure.

If you want to build a truck that will race well then do it right. Save up the $$ for the S/C. Then you'll have a safe setup that won't (not likely) blow up on you. You're asking for problems doing it the way you are.

Good luck with it.

Shasta, if he has a new short block then it likely came from Toyota already built. I don't think a "I don't think it was properly rebuilt" argument will get him anywhere. He is clearly pounding the $hit out of it. And we all know this motor can take that normally. He has tweaked something....and obviously the programming that protects the motor is modified/not there. 2 lower ends in what, 7-8k miles?? I don't think so...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
He has a supercharger already

^^agree^^

If you want to build a truck that will race well then do it right. Save up the $$ for the S/C. Then you'll have a safe setup that won't (not likely) blow up on you. You're asking for problems doing it the way you are.

Good luck with it.

Shasta, if he has a new short block then it likely came from Toyota already built. I don't think a "I don't think it was properly rebuilt" argument will get him anywhere. He is clearly pounding the $hit out of it. And we all know this motor can take that normally. He has tweaked something....and obviously the programming that protects the motor is modified/not there. 2 lower ends in what, 7-8k miles?? I don't think so...

#6 ·
Best of luck. Yes they can read what the engine was doing before it blew. No, you can't erase that and hide it from them. But you were doing it on the street, not a track so it shouldn't matter as long as you aren't running any tuner or anything like that. They shouldn't notice the cats unless they look for it. But that wouldn't cause an engine to blow so it shouldn't matter even if they do notice it.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#8 ·
Toyota makes millions of these pistons and parts...a few of them a bound to be bad, especially with today's out sourcing from different countries where QA is not up to par like the old days (made in Japan)...If you are unlucky and get a bad one...it just bad luck. Of course the SC will make that bad part go quicker but I think if that is the case, even with NA, it'll go eventually.

With that said, it doesn't mean that the end-user can't do stupid shit..lol

#13 · (Edited)
sorry but i have an old vr6 with a vortech on it at 12 psi and never opened since 80 000km and i race all summer long ... Toyota is only at 8 psi

im stock at all ... only have an magnaflow cat-back .. stock pulley ... timing issue is what a think .. but how i can proof it ? this motor have Knock sensor ?? because i never have check engine isssue here ... it is the flash trd or the tech at Toyota who have bad assembled the new short block ?

and i always waiting for this bitch hit is normal temperature ... same in winter at -40 celcius ...

#15 ·
Ah the lawer has been pulled like a blade.

That will wind up costing more than just fixing the truck

#17 ·
No all stock ... I dont know why the inspector say That ... I have the same flash trd until october 2009 ... I heard That flash was updated in 2012 someone can tell what they have changed ?! The ****ing bad thing is broken part of piston are stuck into the blower in its jammed ... So i need to pay Another engine plus supercharge agrrrrrr ....

#20 ·
I think we need the full story of what happened...

#25 ·
Um, this is #3

Pounding the shit out of it, right out of the box (3 times!!!). Definitely modded to remove rev limiter if it actually over-revved.

Sorry OP, you got what you asked for here...

#30 · (Edited)
so i live in canada montreal and yes i have very cold weather in winter ... so can you telll me on the flash ?? i dont have the tune for run in cold weather right ?? superchargedalberta i think you have the finger or what i search !! i have superbike and car for that ... reminber syntectic 5w20 trd oïl filter on always 91 octane ...

#31 ·
15k kilometer? Isn't that around 8000 miles? How can you be on your third motor?

I'm subscribbed, but I am having a hard time believing that you didn't neutral rev the motor to the point of distruction?

That truck must still smell new.

#32 ·
I dont think its 8k on the truck, its 8k on the (second) replacement motor!

#37 ·
Ok do not quote me on this if you look at older theades it is explained better. The problem with the older tune in colder weather like - 20 and lower. People were complain above 3500 rpm they would loose power. truck would give you less than n/a. If you could please explain your over rev. s mode? or dropping in to gear?

The supercharger being damaged explains why I just bought a noise cone and cooler off kijiji. I thought his story was bullshit. but I guess not. He said it was the factory tune. You should contact a dealer that has done a lot of the installs. In his case they replaced the motor but not the s/c or so his story went.

Do not throw it out. I would really like to see what has been done. So you have been 6 months with out the truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.