08 5.7 CM randomly cranks. then... - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
08 5.7 CM randomly cranks. then...

I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax with 71k miles on it.

Here's the problem I am having: I washed the car with normal hose pressure, without detailing the engine, the other day. Cleaned and vacuumed the interior.

I walked up to the house and the car started to crank (starter engaging but not completely starting). I looked back at the truck and it stopped cranking. Then after 5-10 seconds it cranked again. Confused, I walked to the car, unlocked the car with the FOB, (truck cranked again). I waited for it to attempt to start the 4th or 5th time then while it was cranking I put the key into the ignition and turned the ignition cylinder to the crank position and the car started. The car appeared normal ( I don't remember if there were any warning lights on at this initial start). Then I turned the key to off and removed the key and the truck continued to run.

I put the key back in and decided that I would try to move the key again to the crank position for a split second. The starter ground a little as it engaged with the (already rotating) ring gear. I let the key spring back from the start position and the truck continued to run fine. Again I removed the key and the truck continued to run fine.

Being it was 9 or 10 at night I knew I had to have the truck shut off for the night. I ultimately popped the hood went into the fuse block and pulled the fuel pump relay. It took 30 seconds or so but it finally died. So I felt ok BUT i could hear a slight whine or high pitched whiz coming from somewhere on the motor. Knowing that this is probably not good I disconnected the battery and there it has sat all night. I called the local guru shop of Toyota's and he was confused as well. He has not heard of this problem before ( I did not get as detailed as I did above) but he said that I should not have that problem.

He is booked and can't see me until Monday. It is Thursday today and I was planning on driving to San Diego today, but of course, Murphy had to flex his muscles and throw around his law. So.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by meowmixer; 10-17-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Cant see washing the outside of the truck causing this problem. When you "cleaned" the interior, did you spray any type of cleaner? Also, did you buy the truck used, I ask because there might be a possibility that a remote start was installed and is now malfunctioning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Airman For This Useful Post:
wildbill23c (12-12-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM

(Thread Starter)
I cleaned the interior with a few squirts of household carpet cleaner in areas on carpet that had spots ( soda spilled I believe).I used glass cleaner on the glass and to clean the dash. I also did use some glass cleaner to clean out the removable center console cup holders ( as this is my first time cleaning the cars interior). I do not believe that there is a remote start option installed on this truck. It has the original FOB and 3 original factory keys.
Yes I did buy this truck used from a guy in Texas about 2 months ago. I drove it to Utah (approx. 1500) mi, where I live, immediately after purchasing it from him. It has never given me an issue until last night.
The ONLY thing that I have found , worth noting, is that in the fuse box (under hood) there is a position for an Alarm / Horn relay (factory) that does NOT have a relay installed in it, but the horn works as designed (as far as I can tell). In the short time I have had this issue I have not even considered installing a relay because there has never been an issue in (again) my short history with the truck.

Last edited by meowmixer; 10-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM

(Thread Starter)
Next morning update:

So I went out to the truck and applied the battery negative cable back onto the battery. Unlocked the car via factory FOB and then tried to start. Cranked without starting, multiple times. When I say multiple times, I mean I tried multiple times. I then unplugged the battery ( removed the negative cable) for maybe 5 seconds , I reconnected the battery ,and tried to start it again. It fired right up. The ABS, Airbag, and one other light (DSC or something) stayed on. I turned the key to off, as I normally would shut the truck off, and it continued to run even after the key was in my pocket. The radio quit working (turned off) when the key was turned to the position where I could remove it (normal conditions). Then I put the key (and the other two keys that I have) in to the ignition and briefly, <1 sec, turned the ignition to the crank position and the car died. Then it would restart once I tried again, but I continue to have the warning lights on and the continuous running condition after the key is removed from the ignition cylinder.
I am at a complete loss. I normally find pride in my ability to diagnose cars / trucks and being able to remedy the problem, but I am stumped on this one.

Last edited by meowmixer; 10-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Subd

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

15.037 @ 92.87MPH
2007 Black TRD SR5 4x4 DC
5% tints all around. XDI intake.
295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
8000k HID's in headlights and foglights.
Dual 2.5" x 26" Powersticks/QTP Electric Cutouts
Hornblasters 540 Kit
Low Range Offroad 3/1 Leveling kit
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,657 Times in 870 Posts
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I would still look for a remote starter of some sort. They are usually installed behind the panel under the column. It should be easy to spot. Also try to find out it if has the factory remote start.

There are also some aftermarket systems that use the factory remote control.

2008 CrewMax Limited 5.7 / Slate Metallic
#7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 03:27 PM

(Thread Starter)
Slate; I checked behind the drivers knee bolster and it all appears to be factory. I definitely do not see any aftermarket type box in appearance or in atypical attachment, IE, no zip ties hanging a box. Everything appears to be using factory appearance bolts and they are mounted in factory provided nut-serts.

The only new update is that I connected the battery and tried to start again. It did not until I re-disconnected and reconnected the battery and started it again (must be some sort of safety feature). This time it had multiple caution lights on in the dash, even after I was able to shut the motor off by using the starter kill (spoke of before in this thread).

I did trace the engine compartment whine / whiz, that was apparent after the car was shut off ( using the starter engage trick). It ends up that the throttle body module was making the whining noise. I disconnected the pigtail from the top front of the motor, where the TB is located, and the noise went away immediately. I plugged it back in and the noise did not come back immediately. It then started, once I initiated it, and I had to trick it again to get the truck to stop running. But all of the warning lights remained on.

Man I just don't know. Toyota can fit me in today at 3. I'm afraid that I may have to bite the bullet on this one. S%^$@#
#8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,657 Times in 870 Posts
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Yeah, might be more involved, maybe ignition switch, rats got to the wires or ...???

2008 CrewMax Limited 5.7 / Slate Metallic
#9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yup, I threw in the towel. I dropped it off at the dealer. We will see what they come up with. It may be early next week before they have a final answer but I will post a fix to this mystery cluster #@$/.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM

(Thread Starter)
Fectory service update

So the dealer called me back and said that it is a bad negative terminal attached to the battery. I feel that this can't be the problem, but they assure me that it is the problem. I pick it up today and we shall see. They popped a tire and are putting one on for me before I pick it up. I suppose that is the silver lining of this ordeal. If they fixed the problem, it will be a plus.
#11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmixer View Post
So the dealer called me back and said that it is a bad negative terminal attached to the battery. I feel that this can't be the problem, but they assure me that it is the problem. I pick it up today and we shall see. They popped a tire and are putting one on for me before I pick it up. I suppose that is the silver lining of this ordeal. If they fixed the problem, it will be a plus.
I call BS!
#12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Airman;

I hear ya. I'll wait until I get it back. I'll keep this thread updated. If I even get a hint of the same problem, I'm bringing it to the guy DeRay that I originally wanted it to be seen by. He used to work at Toyota and opened his own local shop in town. Nothing but good reviews of his shop and abilities.
We Shall See......
#13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM

(Thread Starter)
Airman;
Well I picked up my CM yesterday afternoon and ALL they did, at least all they charged me for, was to replace the negative cable end that surrounds the negative post of the battery. I don't understand it but somehow that has resolved my problems. I truly don't understand and would LOVE for someone to explain how the negative post connector would fix my issue? It cranked fine before, it never struggled as if it were struggling to make a connection... I don't get it... I am at a complete loss... But I am happy that it has stopped trying to crank on it's own. It almost seemed possessed.... I still don't understand.
#14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 AM

Thanked 7,809 Times in 3,796 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I seem to remember someone else here had this issue. I wonder if they sold their truck

How did the dealer pop the tire outta curiosity?

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 AM

(Thread Starter)
I'm not sure how the dealer popped the tire. It cost them $253 for the 20 inch tire. Glad they fessed up. It could have been ugly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues