50,000 miles & it still pulls right. - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
50,000 miles & it still pulls right.

I've had 4 or 5 alignments.
The dealer I bought it from did it twice.
Two different dealers in Florida where I moved to did alignments on it.
Just paid Firestone to align it & they got it into spec but admit it darts right & they don't know whats wrong with it. No one does. It' not the tires as it's done it with different sets of tires.

I'm about to trade it in. Besides camber, caster, toe... is there something that everyone is missing getting this truck to track straight? I drive down the road & the steering wheel is straight but you have to hold some force tugging left on the steering wheel. Let go of the wheel & it doesn't drift right gradually. IT automatic goes right, when you let go of the wheel. It's done this from day one.
Truck is going on 3 years old, & I'm tired of driving it like this.

Any info / thoughts, why my Tundra has never been right?

2010 DC Longbed, Work truck package, 4.6
Billet grill, Texas edition 20" chrome wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanked 1,697 Times in 954 Posts
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
What size tires and brand are you using. Were both sets the same ? Any suspension work on it ? Level kit lift ?

CAMBURG COIL OVERS, DEVER 5 LEAF + 3" BLOCK, 20" RBP 96R WRAPPED IN 34" BFG KO, PUTCO FRONT WIND DEFLECTORS, MGHLM, DISCONTINUED SHIFT KNOB, TRD CAI, TOW MIRRORS, DEBADGED, DIPPED BUMPERS,ORACLE COLOR SHIFT HALOS, WEATHER TECH DIGIFIT FLOOR LINERS, GOPRO SILVER EDITION DASH CAM
POTOOWA MEMBER #2
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 PM

(Thread Starter)
Nope...bone stock 2 wheel drive. No lift, or level kit.
Original tires where bridgestones.

At 19000 the dealer put on Michelins thinking the Bridestones had a radial warp.
They said the original tires were worn funny as well. I argued that they aligned the truck & that was why they wore funny, so they put on the new set at no charge. Truck still pulled right

My alignment wasn't that bad from the factory. It just pulled right. I feel I should have never let anyone touch the truck. It just got worse. The truck has always pulled right as soon as you let go of the steering wheel.

I drive my wifes prius & it takes awhile to drift right, crown of the road. I test drove a new Tundra & it drove fine. My 2010 from day one has always darted right. I hate it, pretty fed up.
No lift, no accident, I don't beat on it.
I think something happened to it being brought to the dealer where I purchased it. The dealer got the truck for me from another dealer out of state. Maybe it was tied down wrong on the flatbed, I don't know. Everyones inspection saw nothing bend. Everyone aligns it into spec. Everyone agrees it pulls right. Everyone does not know what's wrong with it.

Some kind of odd pressure in the power steering rack causing this is another idea?

Anyone know of the term used for left & right force on the steering wheel & if that can be adjusted?

#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say you have a problem with the power steering. Faulty pump or rack.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Vmax-Joe View Post
Nope...bone stock 2 wheel drive. No lift, or level kit.
Original tires where bridgestones.

At 19000 the dealer put on Michelins thinking the Bridestones had a radial warp.
They said the original tires were worn funny as well. I argued that they aligned the truck & that was why they wore funny, so they put on the new set at no charge. Truck still pulled right

My alignment wasn't that bad from the factory. It just pulled right. I feel I should have never let anyone touch the truck. It just got worse. The truck has always pulled right as soon as you let go of the steering wheel.

I drive my wifes prius & it takes awhile to drift right, crown of the road. I test drove a new Tundra & it drove fine. My 2010 from day one has always darted right. I hate it, pretty fed up.
No lift, no accident, I don't beat on it.
I think something happened to it being brought to the dealer where I purchased it. The dealer got the truck for me from another dealer out of state. Maybe it was tied down wrong on the flatbed, I don't know. Everyones inspection saw nothing bend. Everyone aligns it into spec. Everyone agrees it pulls right. Everyone does not know what's wrong with it.

Some kind of odd pressure in the power steering rack causing this is another idea?

Anyone know of the term used for left & right force on the steering wheel & if that can be adjusted?
This would be my bet. These trucks, as most modern vehicles, have veritable power steering pumps. This is so the steering is very light and easy to turn is slow speed situations. But then at high speed, the power steering hydraulic pressures change so the steering gets more firm while driving at speed. I think there is a problem with the pressure regulation in your power steering pump.

Last edited by DevilAnce; 01-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,041 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Try running 10psi more in the tire on the side that pulls. If it doesn't pull as bad, then im leaning that you have a bad frame.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Try running 10psi more in the tire on the side that pulls. If it doesn't pull as bad, then im leaning that you have a bad frame.
If frame is suspect I would simply have the dealer put the truck on the frame machine and measure it up! Frame machine guy will be able to tell you what the deal is for sure.

Frames have been bent in transport by being strapped down too tight. That has and does sometimes happen.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,041 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks DA. I wanted to elaborate, but my battery on the tablet was about dead. Thanks for filling in what I omited.

KO
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 AM

(Thread Starter)
Having a shop / collision shop set the truck up on a frame machine costs a few hundred just to set it up on the rack.

I wouldn't think it's the frame but maybe the crossmember below the rack & pinion or something with other steering & suspension components.
Really feel every alignment tech that's touched this truck is missing something to make it do this.

Anyone know if the rack & pinion can have something funky making the truck go right? Bled it, air in the system, an adjustment like on a power steering box? Steering shaft problem?

#10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanked 1,033 Times in 578 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Tacoma did the same thing, it took me 4 years to track the SOB down as I was looking in all the wrong places. Mine turned out to be a defective brake caliper, one piston was binding up, once I replaced the R caliper no more issues.

2011 DC 5.7 TRD SR5 4x4, black interior w/bucket power seats, Pyrite Mica, 3M paint protection, Running boards, backup camera and blue tooth, bug shield, Rugged Liner w/rail kit, window visors, power rear window, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit roll top w/utility racks, tailgate step, Yakima kayak racks and weather tech floor mats.

#11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Its crazy how there can be so many variable's that hit you in the pocket with trouble shooting.. In the end just to find out its something like the break caliper. Good luck! Im sure this will get resolved.
#12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 10,484 Times in 4,065 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To eliminate the power steering as a variable, get up to speed, then shift to neutral and shut the engine off. If it still drifts/pulls right, then power steering is not the culprit.
Don't adjust tire pressures differently side-to-side to correct a pull.
Cross rotate the front tires from side to side, then road test to see if it changed. If so, the pull.is tire related.
Can you post a pic of your alignment summary for me to look at? It's the only way for me to know where your alignment stands right now. You van have a total crap alignment and still be within Toyota specifications.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
subscribe

#14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,057 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
My 08 pulls right ever since I hit a washout section of a dirt road while towing a trailer a couple years ago, pretty sure its something steering related that's bent and causing it to pull right.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57chevy View Post
To eliminate the power steering as a variable, get up to speed, then shift to neutral and shut the engine off. If it still drifts/pulls right, then power steering is not the culprit.
Don't adjust tire pressures differently side-to-side to correct a pull.
Cross rotate the front tires from side to side, then road test to see if it changed. If so, the pull.is tire related.
Can you post a pic of your alignment summary for me to look at? It's the only way for me to know where your alignment stands right now. You van have a total crap alignment and still be within Toyota specifications.
The tires have been swapped around, no difference.. I'll have to try the P/S test.
Here's a shot of the printout. Mind you, I'm not sure it's accurate because I watched the tech test drive after he worked on it, then he put the truck back on the rack to get, "The steering wheel straight"

Isn't the steering wheel supposed to be set straight before the alignment, not after?
So I'm ot sure if this printout was before or after his 2nd adjustment.

I could bring it back. It's under Firestone warranty now.
Before I do that, I'm gonna check for drag on the calipers. It is a good possibility now that I think of it, after you guys mentioned it. I'd be real surprised, cause the truck isn't that old, but worth a look see.

Last edited by NY-Vmax-Joe; 01-27-2013 at 11:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY-Vmax-Joe For This Useful Post:
socal57chevy (01-29-2013)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.