Brand new 2012 Tundra keeps getting check engine light going into limp mode - Page 4 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#46 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewoo View Post
I just had the p2445 Secondary AIP stuck code come up today - limp mode sucks! I drove the truck last night 32 deg for about 20 miles. Started it up today @ 29 degs and the CEL was on. 3000 miles - this is very depressing - I'll call dealer ship and see what they want to do. I reset it and drove it with 4 start up cycles and no probelm so far...............I was also able to test it and it shows it working properly now - Oh my I hope a one time deal....

Update OFF TO THE DEALERSHIT! Its on again
Lot of snow past couple of days - below freezing

Doghart did the dealer fix your new problem yet? I'll keep you posted on mine!
They replaced both air pumps. I had 1 CEL afterwards, but none since. It's been below freezing and we've had snow off/on for the last few days.

Fingers are crossed, I love the truck, but this is frustrating!

D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doghart For This Useful Post:
Bluewoo (01-02-2013), riccnick (01-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I hear ya - It's Wednesday now and It looks like Thursday I'll have my truck back.

Driving a White Camry loaner is not cool at all!

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluewoo For This Useful Post:
riccnick (01-02-2013)
#48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,
Long time lurker...
My 2012 had the same issue on Xmas day (below freezing temp, and truck had been out all night). Check Engine light on, 4Lo and TC blinking, and running in limp mode.

Toyotacare towed it to the dealership, and it was repaired the next day. The service guy said it was the secondary air intake, and its a known issue. They either need re-calibration, or replacement. Replacement parts are on major back order, luckily my one was just a recalibration (hopefully).

Fingers crossed its all sorted, but so far so good.

Last edited by bambam30; 01-02-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I can't spell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bambam30 For This Useful Post:
Bluewoo (01-02-2013), doghart (01-02-2013), riccnick (01-02-2013)
#49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM

(Thread Starter)
Email reply I got from the EPA posted below. If anyone else wants to PM or email me their VIN# and specifics he asks for I will include it.

Toyota has extended the warrantee coverage for the Air Injection system for 2007-2010 Tundra models that have failed due to water ingestion to 10 years or 150,000 miles. If your Tundra is a 2007-2010 model, you should have received the letter I have attached. Additionally I have attached the letter that Toyota has sent to its dealers as it contains a bit more detail. We have received complaints from customers that some dealers are unaware of this warranty extension plan. If you have paid for this repair, the letter has instructions for receiving reimbursement.

Your email suggests that your Tundra may be a newer model (2012?) that is not covered by the extended warrantee. What model year is your Tundra? Any information you could send me would be helpful (e.g. engine size, VIN, dealer service documents). If this water injection system fault is present on vehicles newer than 2010 we may be able to help extend the warrantee coverage or force a recall. This won't be a fast process, though. I would advise that you look into your state's lemon laws, and make sure that you keep all required service documentation if you should decide to go down that path.
The Following User Says Thank You to doghart For This Useful Post:
Bluewoo (01-02-2013)
#50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewoo View Post
I hear ya - It's Wednesday now and It looks like Thursday I'll have my truck back.

Driving a White Camry loaner is not cool at all!

I had a red Corolla.... for 3 and a half weeks!!!

D
Bluewoo (01-03-2013)
#51 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghart View Post
Email reply I got from the EPA posted below. If anyone else wants to PM or email me their VIN# and specifics he asks for I will include it.

Toyota has extended the warrantee coverage for the Air Injection system for 2007-2010 Tundra models that have failed due to water ingestion to 10 years or 150,000 miles. If your Tundra is a 2007-2010 model, you should have received the letter I have attached. Additionally I have attached the letter that Toyota has sent to its dealers as it contains a bit more detail. We have received complaints from customers that some dealers are unaware of this warranty extension plan. If you have paid for this repair, the letter has instructions for receiving reimbursement.

Your email suggests that your Tundra may be a newer model (2012?) that is not covered by the extended warrantee. What model year is your Tundra? Any information you could send me would be helpful (e.g. engine size, VIN, dealer service documents). If this water injection system fault is present on vehicles newer than 2010 we may be able to help extend the warrantee coverage or force a recall. This won't be a fast process, though. I would advise that you look into your state's lemon laws, and make sure that you keep all required service documentation if you should decide to go down that path.
I just had this issue with my truck today. it was fine this morning, i left work and the check engine light was on, trac control off and the 4lo light blinking... also had very low power. PIA! i drove it to the dealer dropped it off and they gave me a loaner van - I've got an F'in van....

my truck is the 2012 RW with the 5.7 with less then 4000 miles on it. Honestly, my last tundra had 80k on it and I never had a single issue with it. you want me to send you my VIN to include too?
#52 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yes!!

I would like everyone who has a 2011 or newer Tundra with this issue to PM me their VIN#.

I will fwd all of the info to the rep at the EPA. I think if enough of us respond they may actually force a recall, or at the very least get the warranty extended for ALL Tundras.

D
VT RWarrior (01-02-2013)
#53 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Can you attach the letters he forwarded to you?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 PM

My problem!! Is similar, but no code has flashed till last week. It turns over for 10-15 seconds, finally starts, but has that sweet smell, and blows black smoke, like flooding, then white like water. I am at 20k miles, it started at 14k. I bought a toyota for the reliability, looks power, and options. I am seriously considering wrapping it around a pole. I bought my ford 3 years ago with 75 k miles on it. I have done the 100k service on it and changed the oil every 3k miles. It has never let me down. My dealer better have a fix asap, or it will be sent to toyota Heaven and I will be back in my ford!

I do wonder, how many of yall are in the flex fuel? Seems those are the only ones I have read about with the issue?

I have a 2012 Tundra, crew, 4X4 5.7 Flex fuel
#55 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012CMINMI View Post
Can you attach the letters he forwarded to you?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
The original email he sent is posted above in italics.
Here is a second one:

I believe that you may be experiencing a different problem than the 2007-2010 Tundras. I notice that Toyota has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB-0033-12) regarding the Air Injection Valve freezing and getting stuck open. Toyota has an ECU software update that eliminates build up of water to prevent the valve from freezing. Vehicles manufactured on August 20, 2012 or later should have been built with this software update included. I am not familiar with this issue in detail, but if the Air Injection Valve were to get stuck open due to ice blockage, hot exhaust gasses could exit through your Air Injection Pump causing the pump to overheat and fail. I expect that the software update should prevent this problem from recurring in the future. If your Tundra has received the software update and you continue to experience these problems please let me know so that I can pursue this with Toyota.

D
#56 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Will also be happy to send my vin to include, but it rarely gets below freezing in my area and I am not getting the code. So if it is similar issue, i will send it!
#57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 AM

PM sent

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#58 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkrinnyrdr View Post
My problem!! Is similar, but no code has flashed till last week. It turns over for 10-15 seconds, finally starts, but has that sweet smell, and blows black smoke, like flooding, then white like water. I am at 20k miles, it started at 14k. I bought a toyota for the reliability, looks power, and options. I am seriously considering wrapping it around a pole. I bought my ford 3 years ago with 75 k miles on it. I have done the 100k service on it and changed the oil every 3k miles. It has never let me down. My dealer better have a fix asap, or it will be sent to toyota Heaven and I will be back in my ford!

I do wonder, how many of yall are in the flex fuel? Seems those are the only ones I have read about with the issue?

I have a 2012 Tundra, crew, 4X4 5.7 Flex fuel
Reading on TT the dealers are reseting the ECU's - seem to be locked in FF mode. Do a search

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghart View Post
I had a red Corolla.... for 3 and a half weeks!!!

D
I'm so sorry

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
#60 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM

LMFAO - National B/O so I wont have my new truck back for awhile. Thanks Toyota!

N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.