• 1 Post By Ditchhooker

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
parking assist sonar and rain

I searched, but no luck. I have a two week old 2012 Tundra Crewmax with the parking assist sonar. A few days ago we received rain. My rear sonar's went off continuously when in reverse, even though nothing was behind me. I cleaned and dried the rear sonar sensors, but the issue continued. Once the truck (and streets) dried up, no more issue. The manual indicates this could be a problem if water, mud, or other debris gets on the sensors, but after cleaning them off it should have operated correctly. My concern is if this is possibly water getting in and shorting out something, or if it is just an idiosyncrasy of the system. Dealer was no help. I explained it in detail and even suggested wetting the rear bumper, but they simply turned it on and noted that it was now working correctly.

I can understand the heavy rain and spash-up creating a problem, but when the rain stopped and the sensors were cleaned and dried, the problem should have stopped. It didn't. It continued until the entire bumper had dried. (Next day)

So, does anyone know if this is a common issue I should ignore, or is there something wrong that needs to be fixed? Any help will be appreciated.
DAISEY489 likes this.

Last edited by mnotx; 10-01-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: add to post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,364 Times in 1,904 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Ive had my truck for about a year, and this past Saturday, the front sensors were going crazy in the rain. I just turned them off. That was the first time its done it to me in the rain.
DAISEY489 likes this.

2011 Tundra CrewMax Platinum RWD • Silver Sky Metallic • LazerLite Tonneau Cover • MaxTrac 3.5" Lift Spindles • Ekstrom Design +3" Shackles & Carrier Bearing Drop • American Outlaw Armor 20x9 Charcoal Chrome Wheels • Nitto Terra Grappler LT305/55R20 Tires
#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
it rains alot up here, and yes the sonar does not like it at all. I have had it either always going off, or not working at all.

First time it happened, i took it in to the dealer, pointed out which one I suspected it was and they replaced it. (under warrenty) it started doing the same thing a couple months later, and it was the new one doing it :P. Once it dries up it works fine. I think the water distorts the signal somewhat, with the rear sensors being more sensitive (more range) haven't had any issues with the front ones however.
DAISEY489 likes this.

05 Avalon XLS
07 Limited 5.7L 2WD DCRB - billet grille, folding rear seat backs, LED frame strip lamps, BAmuffler
10 Forest River Salem 25S TT
Tundra Campers Club #35

#4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchhooker View Post
it rains alot up here, and yes the sonar does not like it at all. I have had it either always going off, or not working at all.

First time it happened, i took it in to the dealer, pointed out which one I suspected it was and they replaced it. (under warrenty) it started doing the same thing a couple months later, and it was the new one doing it :P. Once it dries up it works fine. I think the water distorts the signal somewhat, with the rear sensors being more sensitive (more range) haven't had any issues with the front ones however.
Good to know I am not alone. I sent this question to Toyota to see if they had a response. Guess we'll see what they say....if anything.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I'm having the same issue with my front right sensor. I'm going to take it in and have it replaced under warranty. For now, I shut it off when it's wet so it doesn't drive me crazy.

2010 Platinum Crewmax w/Red Rock
Full-size gas pedal, Tekonsha Prodigy P3, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD sway bar, TruXedo Lo Pro QT tonneau cover, OEM powerfold tow mirrors, 20" Ultra Grinder wheels, U95 nav. update, OEM color matched door handles, OEM sport grille surround, OEM brushed SS step bars, tint, pillar tape removal mod, more to come...

Platinum Club Member #3 | Tundra Camper Club #44 | Black Tundra Club Member #198
#6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,542 Posts
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I have after market sensors (AudioVox) and it does this too...but after I swapped them out with replacement (warranty), it work as it should...no noise when rain except when I drive over a huge puddle and big splash of water hits it directly. Most of these electronic parts are made in China and quality is second to everyone...
My LS460 also have sensors and never have this issue...the whole car is made in Japan.

If the dealer is telling you that it is "normal"...what they're trying to say is "we can't make money off of you, please go away"...
#7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,364 Times in 1,904 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
I hadn't even thought about having it replaced. Ill mention it to them when I go in for my next oil change.

2011 Tundra CrewMax Platinum RWD • Silver Sky Metallic • LazerLite Tonneau Cover • MaxTrac 3.5" Lift Spindles • Ekstrom Design +3" Shackles & Carrier Bearing Drop • American Outlaw Armor 20x9 Charcoal Chrome Wheels • Nitto Terra Grappler LT305/55R20 Tires
#8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This happens to mine a lot as well. It rains in Hawaii so at least once a month I have this problem. It goes away when it dries out so it's not worth replacing to me. Plus I have the camera in the rear so I don't rely on just the sensors.

2008 LIMITED DC 4X4 TRD 7" BDS Suspension LIft
37X13.5X18 Toyo Open Country MT, 18" Hoss XD
Icon coilovers, shocks, and Upper Control Arms.
Deaver Springs with total caos shackle
Auburn Limited Slip, MBRP Dual Exhaust
RollBak G2 Tonneau Cover, Bushwacker OE Fender Flares, LED interior Lighting, KC back up lights, Aftermarket Sounds,

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Problems: Maintenance, Repair & Dealer/Warranty Issues