Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

TPS light on Dash blinking...

79K views 152 replies 51 participants last post by  will1668/ 
#1 ·
First things first, it's not low tire pressure! :banghead:

I just had my winter tires mounted on my limited wheels with new tire pressure sensors, and everything was fine until I get this warning light. Do I have to 'calibrate' them or something? I'm new to the TPS things and need some more info..

I also found the button under the dash, does this calibrate it? What do I do???

#30 ·
I have a 2007 Tundra. On my TechStream TPMS screen it has space for 5 IDs. I have an extra TPMS sensor to fit in my spare when I get around to it (I've only has it in the center console for 11 months :eek: ). I've not entered the code for it yet as I don't want the warning light on. Are you sure it only holds 4 IDs?

#3 ·
You have to program the new TPMS codes into the ECU. You will have to do that each time you change the wheels.

#4 ·
you mean the dealer has to do it :p

#7 · (Edited)
I installed the resistor string and diode. Less than $3 and no light...ever.
I cut the blue wire, installed the resistor/diode string to the blue wire with a butt conmnector, then used a 3M Scotch-Lock to connect the blue wire to the yellow wire that feeds voltage to the TPMS module. Based on input from dressed2kill, I need to clarify that the blue wire we cut is the lighter pale blue/green wire. There is a deeper blue wire present, but we are working with the pale blue-green wire. Thanks for the info, dressed2kill.

Here are BStevens' original pics from the thread on TS...

Here's a pic of the packages for the actual parts I used to complete this mod...

Attachments

#8 ·
I installed the resistor string and diode. Less than $3 and no light...ever.
Nice, BUT next year the TPMS becomes part of some state inspections. The light has to come on before the engine is started in order to pass. :(

#9 · (Edited)
Here is a quote from bstevens original post...

I have an '07 Tundra, and I know there are a lot of solutions out there to disable the TPMS light, but I think that I have found a way to trick the computer into believing that everything is working correctly without removing the dash or having to store those stupid sensors in pressurized container in the truck. I bought $5 worth of stuff at Radio Shack and it took me about 30 minutes.

I soldered a 12 volt Zener diode, a 1/4 watt 2.2k ohm resister and a 1/4 watt 1k ohm resister together to look like this. Be careful with the diode to ensure that it is facing the correct way because it only lets the voltage flow one direction.

Behind the glove box is a small grey box with a 12 pin connector to it. You can do this mod without removing the glove box if you don't mind spending some time on your back in the floorboard.

Remove that connector and then on the left side of the connector (the side with the clip) remove the light blue wire (5th one from the top). There is a compression fitting on the side of the connector that you will have to pop out approximately 1mm and then you can use a pin to remove that metal connector out of the plastic harness from the connection side. This is fairly simple to accomplish (hard to explain) but only necessary if you think that you may want to return it to factory operation at some time, otherwise you can clip the light blue wire.

Next step is to connect the resistor end of the series that you soldered together to the light blue wire. Then reconnect the plastic connector to the computer and stick the diode end into the back of the plastic connector so it makes contact with the yellow wire in the top right position.

This sends approximately 4.4 volts from the computer thru the light blue wire to the combination meter to tell the system that there is no fault.

I have had this system on my truck now for about a month and have never seen that stupid light (it doesn't even show up on start-up since it always thinks everything is working perfect). And just to check this theory I swapped it back to factory spec today and the light came right back on...put it back the way I had it and the light went right back out. If anyone needs more pictures or additional info I would be happy to provide it. This fix saved me over $600 for 4 new sensors and the reprograming fee. Hopefully it will help someone else too.

Just to clarify, the yellow wire we tap for power has a black wire in the location next to it. The light blue wire is actually a light pale blue-green wire, not the brighter blue wire.

#26 ·
Why would you mess with a safety system? It's for your benefit. Example I can give happen to my wife in her Prius. Her light came on and she called me. I went to her location just to see her driver rear tire on the inside had a wire sticking in the sidewall of the tire. It was losing air. Had to get a new tire for it but she was driving on the interstate at 70mph. Tire could have blew or went down fast causing her to lose control. You shouldn't fool with the safety features given on a vehicle.

#29 ·
Tire could have blew or went down fast causing her to lose control. You shouldn't fool with the safety features given on a vehicle.
TPMS wouldn't make much difference if a tire were to blow or go down fast. I'm guessing you'd be too busy trying to get it slowed down and pulled over to notice a small light on the dash. :dunno:

#28 · (Edited)
Socal, will do.

Mickey, I choose to bypass the system as it's my choice. I tested my mileage with the light on and with the light off (had old tires with TPMS in bed of truck to fool TPMS system) for a tank of gas each. I got 13 mpg with the light on and 15 mpg with the light off. I have aggressive tires for the upcoming Iowa winter and alloy rims, so I'm storing my factory steel wheels equiped with the TPMS sensors. If I choose to put them on the alloy rims using a band at a later time, that's my choice. Until then, I will check my tires as usual and not rely on the TPMS system to tell me I have a low tire just as I did on my previous truck (not equipped with TPMS) before I bought my Tundra.

I appreciate your stance on the issue and I can see your point. I don't see it as much of a safety system really. I, for one, just don't appreciate being forced to spend ridiculous amounts of money if I want to maintain the TPMS system for each set of wheels I own - cost of new sensors, cost to mount new sensors on rims, cost for dealership to program new sensors into ECU, cost for dealership to program old sensors into ECU when I switch back to other set of tires. It's just not feasible and is a lot cheaper ($4.21 worth of parts) to bypass the system as I did.

#31 · (Edited)
I too, am fed up with that P.O.S. TPMS lamp on my dash. I have had trouble ever since I got my new tires in August, and the pressure is perfect all around. I went back once and had it reset, and all was clear for a couple of weeks, but then it came back on steady.

So after reviewing this mod and the Tundra wiring diagrams, the actual wire color is light green, not blue on J31 pin 5 (Tire Pressure Warning ECU). Apparently the TPMS LED requires a steady voltage from the ECU to not be lit, and this mod supplies the proper voltage to accomplish this from J31 pin 7. I'll bet a dual relay "start-stop-station" arrangement would do the one-flash-then-out logic required for those state inspections.

As far as for over-riding a safety system.....I don't see it that way. It is a NANNY for morons that don't maintain their vehicles properly. I on the other hand don't require it or the expense to maintain it. I would understand the argument for defeating airbags or seatbelts which are true safety systems. Radio shack....here I come!!

#32 ·
As far as for over-riding a safety system.....I don't see it that way. It is a NANNY for morons that don't maintain their vehicles properly. I on the other hand don't require it or the expense to maintain it. I would understand the argument for defeating airbags or seatbelts which are true safety systems. Radio shack....here I come!!
The TPMS system is garbage and should be overriden ASAP. I don't recall the human race being threatened to near extinction before 2006 when this nonsense started appearing. I use the pressurized tube but I am going to do the voltage mod instead. :D

#34 ·
I don't mind the TPMS. I'd chose to pay extra for it if it wasn't mandated.

I don't have time to check all 4 tires every time I jump in the pickup. I leave the house at 5:30am each morning for a 50 mile commute, I'll skip the flashlight and tire gauge each morning.

Most people cannot tell the difference between tires at 100% and at 70% inflation without using a gauge.

If I keep my tires properly inflated then I won't see the light. Y'all will want to defeat the low fuel warning light next :lol5:

#36 ·
If these foolish systems were more reliable overall, that's exactly how I'd like to use it. This is not the first vehicle that I've had where the TPMS malfunctions into total uselessness. I will not spend the money to have it fixed, only to crap out again for some other reason, like when the tire sensor batteries wear out. The code mine throws has to do with the main sensor, not a particular wheel. Therefore, for $4.20 in parts, the annoying lamp goes out permanently, and I keep an eye on my Tundra tires just like I do on my 1966 Ford.

This post has been deleted
#77 ·
you joke but i was 500 miles away from the stocker's before the light came on.
so tpms can suck it. i have left the sensors in the stock wheels just because i didn't want to pay to dismount them. but this resistor mod is on the list of things to do now.

#42 ·
My tpms system SUCKED. The light blinding me at night was dangerous and could cause me to unknowingly swerve into oncoming traffic. TPMS is dangerous and should be disabled on all vehicles to eliminate the blinding lamp. :lol5:

#44 · (Edited)
Just giving you a hard time, bro. The guys that do this aren't grannies. We pay attention. I wouldn't recommend people do this to their great grandmother's car, but a grown man should be able to decide if he is competent enough to check his own tires. ;)

My light was on from about 5K miles until I finally disabled it. Dealer said it had a dozen codes stored. Cleared codes and the stupid light came back on within a half hour.

#49 ·
I don't think they are replaceable normally, which is why I want to do the voltage mod soon. I did see a cutaway of a TPMS transducer some time ago, and although the battery was sealed within the body of the transducer, it appeared the battery was just an off-the-shelf coin cell. There might be a way to carefully cut away part of the case to get to it and replace it. I suspect the voltage mod would be far less work though.

#51 ·
In that case there are going to be A LOT of pissed off people in the next year or two when they show up at their dealer because the "light with the exclamation point" is on and they are presented with a bill for several hundred dollars to "fix it".

I'm not too worried though. I have much faith in the resourcefulness and ingenuity of TT members...someone will come up with a detailed writeup on how to replace the non-replaceable sensor batteries.

This post has been deleted
#58 ·
I think I'm going to do a DIY seatbelt delete mod. Every time I swerve off the pavement because my tires are low, it locks up. May be a windshield delete mod, too. If a rock hits it, it could chip and I might get a piece of glass in my eye. There should be a rock chip warning light, too. That way if a rock is about to hit my windshield, the light will come on so I can close my eyes and swerve to the left.
I'll bet people gasp when I drive by them in my 57 with no seatbelt on. I'm surprised that I can drive to the grocery store and back home without being ejected from the vehicle. :eek:

#60 ·
Seatbelts became mandatory in 1966, so my Ford Galaxie 500 has `em, but just lap belts. In Connecticut not wearing a seatbelt is a primary offense, so I'm just waiting for the day a rookie right out of the academy pulls me over for failing to wear a seatbelt.

#59 ·
I also need a warning light for the people driving toward me on the highway. What if one of them has a car with low tires? I should be able to monitor their tire pressure, too. That way they don't swerve into me because they are blinded by the tpms idiot light. My handy dandy warning light would alert me to their dangerous driving habits and I could swerve off the road to avoid their car when it barrels into my lane because the tires are low.