User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Images of 2002 Throttle Body

I have an '02 4x4 with about 70K miles. I have a low idle, which sounds like the problem described by others as soot buildup in the throttle body. I want to clean it myself. I am not a mechanic, but work on my dirtbike so I'm not completely clueless. Before I try to clean the throttle body, however, I want to make sure I know what I am looking for. Does anyone have a picture of the engine with the throttle body identified? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 AM

Welcome to the forum !
Here are some pics and how to for the procedure :AUTOS & BOATS : Fuel Systems : Winter Maintenance: Servicing a Sticking Throttle : DIY Network

Last edited by ramoine; 11-13-2008 at 07:11 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcshow View Post
I have an '02 4x4 with about 70K miles. I have a low idle, which sounds like the problem described by others as soot buildup in the throttle body. I want to clean it myself. I am not a mechanic, but work on my dirtbike so I'm not completely clueless. Before I try to clean the throttle body, however, I want to make sure I know what I am looking for. Does anyone have a picture of the engine with the throttle body identified? Thanks.
After you take the intake manifold cover off (the sheet metal piece that says 4.7 on it) you will see where the plastic intake tube leads to on the engine. There is some throttle linkage on the left side of the threttle body, spray the sht out of it with WD40 and work the linkage back and fourth with your hand letting it snap back a couple of times. In the days of the new gen1 Tundras the dealers favorite money maker was to tell customers with sticking throttle body's and high & low idle, that it needed replacing at $1200 a pop! I had a friend that was a Toyota mechanic that told me to do exactly what I just explained here.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

My throttle body was very dirty on my 02 when I cleaned it the first time. Be sure to open the butterfly all the way and clean on the backside of it. I spent a while cleaning mine just to be sure I got everything good.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apimpdad View Post
My throttle body was very dirty on my 02 when I cleaned it the first time. Be sure to open the butterfly all the way and clean on the backside of it. I spent a while cleaning mine just to be sure I got everything good.
Ya know what stopped my TB from getting dirty was a KnN replacment filter. It trapped more dirt than the stock filter keeping the TB cleaner.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

This story sounds all too familiar. I just had mine cleaned this week. My 2002 has 127k on it and I can tell ya it was running rough and at a low idle. I took it in cause I thought it could be one of many issues and I did not want to guess at it and be wrong. My fuel injectors were clogged and my throttle body was very dirty! After the dealer cleaned both my truck now run like a raped ape haha. So now that I have been educated im gunna start paying much more attention and pull everything apart every 30k just to play it safe Good luck bro! BTW welcome to the site and post some pictures!

O.B.A.M.A. = One Big Ass Mistake America
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Ya know what stopped my TB from getting dirty was a KnN replacment filter. It trapped more dirt than the stock filter keeping the TB cleaner.
That is what made mine dirty. I had that junky k&n FIPK on my truck and it did nothing but empty my pockets. I have been running stock replacement air filters since I removed the k&n about 20k miles ago and it has stayed damn near spotless. Nothing k&n will ever be installed on any of my trucks ever again.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by apimpdad View Post
That is what made mine dirty. I had that junky k&n FIPK on my truck and it did nothing but empty my pockets. I have been running stock replacement air filters since I removed the k&n about 20k miles ago and it has stayed damn near spotless. Nothing k&n will ever be installed on any of my trucks ever again.
Maybe an over oiled KnN. For sure sucking dirty oil into the TB would probably be about the worst thing you could do. I always blew air through the KnN before installing it in my gen1. I definately would not use any KnN ON MY 07.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

I can’t say a whole lot about K&N. I have there drop in filter and it has not done justice for my truck. I’m leaning more towards the Volant intake when I’m go to purchase my CAI.

O.B.A.M.A. = One Big Ass Mistake America
#10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

I only oiled it once after it was installed. I washed it and sprayed that oil very sparingly over the filter. It also gummed up the MAF sensor. Thats not the main reason I removed it though. The power loss and mpg decrease led me to taking it off and throwing it out.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:39 PM

Twice a year for me

I use Amsoil Power foam after a slight engine warm up.
Open it up.
Spray/let soak/brush/soak up in rags/crank engine(not start).
Repete if needed.
Be sure to change the oil in under 500 miles.
The chemicals are not good for the oils addititives.
Do not try on a drive by wire system.
Opening the butterfly manually is bad for the electronic calibration.
Just an another opinion.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Pictures & Media Post