Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

For anyone with any lift on your Tundra

157K views 343 replies 159 participants last post by  TundraDan723 
#1 ·
For those of you have any kind of lift on your Tundra, even just a 3/1" kit like me. If you noticed your truck feels like it lost something off the line and is generally sluggish after doing a lift or larger tires, I highly recommend doing the mod to modify the yaw on your VSC module. I had a 3/1 put on and some 33" tires and have been struggling with trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my truck for the last 3 months. I knew I'd lose some performance by losing the stock rake and going to heavier wheels and tires, but not as much as what I did.

Symptoms:

Sluggish off the line
WOT seemed to be slower than before lift/tires. Felt like it was being "throttled back"
On the highway the truck felt like it was taking more to get up to passing speed

Turns out the VSC sensor in our trucks is apparently setup to detect the yaw of the vehicle and engage some sort of electronic control that turns the truck into a sluggish POS. The yaw sensor detects the level of the vehicle from front to back, and by putting a lift or level kit on you are effectively raising the front of the truck from the stock spec, so the yaw sensor must think you are towing or otherwise in a front high condition.

There is a walk-through on adding spacers to the rear of the VSC sensor. I just did this mod tonight as a last resort before taking the truck back to the dealer and setting it on fire. Amazing, the power is back and the truck literally feels completely different. I can't believe the amount of power I'd lost due to the ridiculous VSC system they put on this truck.

Here's the walk-thru for anyone interested who hasn't seen it yet. It took me about 30 minutes, but I spent longer than normal because I was being anal about making sure I didn't break any tabs or anything when I removed all the console pieces. I added 3 washers to raise the rear of the VSC module. I haven't peformed the zero-point walk through yet, but the truck already has tons more power, so I'm going to hold off on messing with that as a last resort.

Success!!! VSC and Lift issue Fix Confirmed! - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

Hope this helps someone else out there that was in the same predicament...

See less See more
#3 ·
Do the zero point calibration too.

#4 ·
I might do it, the dealer wants $49.95 to do it for me. I saw there is a PDF on doing it, but I really dont understand the PDF very well and I haven't found a step by step walk through of doing it yourself.

#5 ·
Follow the DIY instructions in the pdf. You just need a paperclip to do it.

#6 ·
Tox, so in any of the steps where they say to connect the Techstream to certain terminals, I should just use a long paperclip to connect the two terminals? You setting me up for a shock?? :p

#10 ·
The same is true if you're ass high with the LRO lift. For some reason, some of our trucks get a little bit more rake than others when installing. I had the zero point calibration done, still had an issue. If you have too much rake, it may not work and you'll need to shim it (but reverse of the link supplied, I shimmed the front side). I also had issues with the VSC kicking on under heavy acceleration until I shimmed the yaw sensor. I used two washers giving me about 3/16" shim and the problems went away and everything seems normal again. VSC sucks IMO, sometimes electronics get in the way of performance.

Reactions: cvbIV and KorHi
#11 ·
Okay i wana do this but I'm afraid lol I won't even lie...will the dealer do it?! I do not care if I need to pay I'll do exterior cosmetic mods and engine stuff...I won't touch my electric stuff personally bad experiences lol

#13 ·
if you drive with the nannies off all the time this isn't an issue right?

after installing the sc i always turn off the nannies now. don't want them kicking in if my right foot gets heavy for some reason.

#17 ·
thanks. i don't think that's the case. with the supercharger, no load and slight uphill, i've dropped the pedal going slightly over 35mph and the rear wheel spins. it's very cool actually. lol.

nannies were off and if i understand the statement correctly they should have kicked in when traction broke.

is that what you mean by nannies only being in effect at 35mph and below?

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys
#15 ·
Im at the dealershit getting my oil changed and im reading this and talking to my service rep about setting up a apointment for it now haha talk about timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide App

#16 ·
Haha, nice! If I were you I would do the spacer mod to your VSC module before having them do the zero-point calibration. Seems thats the way to get the best results from what others have said.

#18 ·
Yep, but I'm not speaking from experience, just from what others on here have said. Sounds like that may not be correct!

#21 ·
my truck feels sluggish off the start and i do not have the towing gear ratio, just the stock ratio. is the sluggishness from the vsc thing or what? cuz id like to get this thing a lil more acceleration (i have a 3 chamber spintech muffler and K&N intake). i was thinking the hypertech may help this when it changes the shift points or do i need to to this mod to get this sluggishness to go away?

#29 · (Edited)
The only way to get that stock "zip" back off the line would be to re-gear. I've moved from a 32" tire to a 34", doing a ratio I would need a 4.56 (starting w/ the 4.3). I believe there is a 4.88 (HOLY rock crawler) out w/ a 4.56 in the works. But at ~1500 bucks this mod. isn't worth it to me (not a mod. I will do myself...). I'm still faster than a 6.2 Raptor, so that's all I care about. :D

Running a CAI you are also losing low end power, they are only good for gaining upper end power....hence why I don't run one.

Reactions: Big Tundra
#23 ·
Any links on how to get the console out? I would like to try this. I called two dealers around here and neither one of them had a clue what the zero calibration was. What morons. I think I will just try the washer thing and see what that does.

#24 · (Edited)
I used this video. The guy shows how to remove several of the pieces you will need to remove. You do not need to remove the upper dash and some other stuff he does, but this video does come in handy.

Basically you start with the piece where the cigarette lighter is below the AC controls, then go from there. It's not as hard as you might think, took me about 10 minutes. You can use this thread too:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...n/67269-how-do-you-remove-center-console.html

Reactions: cpobst
#25 ·
So wheres the module at then under the center console??

#27 ·
Ah ok thanks so put two washers on the back and that should so it

#30 · (Edited)
Ok, I did the zero point calibration at home tonight. It is EASY.

1. Park you truck on LEVEL ground

2. Get a paper clip

3. Turn your key to "ON", but do not start engine.

4. Under your dash near the TPMS reset, you'll see a white connector. This is where you will be using the paper clip. Refer to attached PDF for picture of connector. Notice it is upside down from what you will see under the dash.

5. Unfold the paper clip, and use it to connect terminal 4 and 12 on the terminal 4 or more times within 8 seconds. You may be able to hear the VSC disengage (I did). Look on the dash and verify the VSC OFF light is on. If it is, you are done with this step. If it is not, keep trying until you succeed.

6. Once you have the VSC light flashing, turn the ignition off. While it is off, insert the paper clip back in 4 and 12 and leave it connected. Turn the ignition back to ON (do not start engine). You should hear the beeps which mean the system has been reset. Remove the paper clip. Turn ignition off.

Your zero point has now been recalibrated!

Note: By providing this information, I take no responsibility for anything that might occur as a result of you attempting this on your truck! ;)

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachments/tundra/44434d1250647644-success-vsc-lift-issue-fix-confirmed-vsc-calibration.pdf

#36 ·
What he said... it's easy. A dealer will charge around a hundred bucks for something you can do fairly easily.

#31 ·
Just did the washers an zero point reset well see wat she does.

#32 ·
First I added the washers to the back of the VSC module. I noticed a decent increase in performance, but not where I was before the leveling kit. I was afraid to try to zero the sensor though. After you posted your step by step instructions, it seemed easy enough, so I gave it a go. It was super easy, and it made a big difference. I now have all of my power back , and am reminded why I bought the truck every time I put the pedal to the metal. Thanks op.

#34 ·
I did the washer mod, it was really easy getting to it. There is one corner on my way to work where the VSC always kicks in. I will test it later when I leave. Still kinda sketched out about doing the ZERO cal. Is it necessary with the washer mod?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.